Leupold Vari X II with Target/M1 turrets

agdavis

I am considering getting either M1 or Target turrets added on to my Leupold Vari X II. Now I would like to get a set up for shooting game out to about 500 yards with the occasional shooting of other non living targets out to about 1000. I have been looking at different scopes like the Falcon and others but I kind of want to stick with my Leopold.
My main concern is that I will accidently turn the elevation or windage without realizing it since there are no locks on the turrets.
I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the turrets getting adjusted while they were getting in or out of there trucks. I bought a Millett LRS-1 with a lock on the turrets but it is way too big, physically, for my rifle.
If anyone has a scope in mind that is about the size of a Vari X II (front diameter of 45mm or less and an overall length of about 12.375") and holds up well to a 30-06 recoil then please let me know.

I use a leupold 6.5-20x LR model with M1 knobs. I've never had them move, even going in and out of a Gunslinger pack. The clicks are very positive. If you zero out the turret using the set screw on the side of it you will know right away if it does move. That said, I'd rather have the target knobs. The aggresive M1 knobs do get caught on stuff. If you are setting up for a long range shot a few seconds to take the caps off isn't a big deal.

We don't hear a lot about Leupold on this forum but I still think they are the best value out there. Rock solid scope with a great warranty if it's needed.

If you are interested In the Leupold VX2, the 6-18x40 CDS would need a look. I have one on a rimfire. The CDS turret is just a hair taller than standard turret. They come standard on CDS models so no $90 upgrade. CDS models come with standard windage turret and CDS for elevation. One calibrated cap to your spec free with purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.