Target knobs for Leupold 4.5 x 14 Vari-X III

Been planning on getting both Elev. and Windage target turret knobs on my 4.5x14 Vari-X III. When I called them up it was $115 for both, or $74 for just Elevation Shipped! They didn't blink at putting standard target knobs, so I'm not sure what the issue is. They said turnaround time was 1 week. I've got a month before rifle season opens up so I may just ship it out and get it back ASAP.

YOu may try them again and talk to another tech just to confirm or deny your previous conversation.

'luck.

Matt

Looks like I was wrong. I looked at the custom shop order form and didn't see a target knob conversion listed. The only conversions listed are M1, M2 , M3.
I would look at the M1 conversion. M1 knobs work just like the target knobs,but you don't have to take the cover off every time you want to make an adjustment. M1's are tactical knobs, so look in the Leupold tactical catalog for more info.

PS My 3.5-10 has M1 turrets and I like them.

Yep, I missed the fine print in the custom catalog. I need more sleep or caffeine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jmden: The target turrets and the Custom Bullet Drop Compensator (BDC) are SEPARATE items. Like you, I thought they were one and the same, and sent my scope and a check for the target turret installation to the Leupold Custom Shop. They sent me an e-mail that I still needed to send an additional amount for the BDC, which I did. I'm pleased with the results.

Thanks all for the help and replies. I ended up going with the Stoney Point target knobs as I could get them 2 day air shipped ($70 total) to Missoula where I as going to be playing at the Deep Creek Range there. Buffalo Bob was correct in that, on his scope and mine at least (mine is 1/4 min. clicks), the knobs are calibrated for MOA. 2 clicks gets you to the 1/2 MOA etch and 4 clicks gets you to the etch marked "1" and so on to 60 clicks per revolution or 15 MOA per rev. I bought them hoping that what Buffalo Bob found would be true for my scope as well and it was thankfully.

And thanks for the suggestion, ss7mm for the torx scews from Brownells--I'll have to look into that. Have you guys had trouble with the stock screws slipping on the SS spindle or the allen head stripping out or both? I certainly do not want either happening to me.

I did some shooting at 420 yds and 545 yds using the knobs and 1/4 min. clicks calculated from my Sierra ballistics program given the altitude, baro pressure, bc, known MV, etc. I'll have to do some more shooting, but my POI seemed to be the equivalent of about 3 clicks below target center on average. When I played with the ballistics program and lowered the MV from 3285 to 3100 (180 Accubond on what was a stock 300 RUM that I've accurized and carefully loaded for), then it appeared that the clicks would've put me right on target.

The one 420 yd 3-shot group was 1 5/8" and about 2 3/4" low--right on left to right--this with 10 clicks up given my zero. The 545yd groups spread out some due to me getting to the range late and playing with winds that seemed to pick up beyond the 420 yd mark. They were about 4 1/2" low. One thing I can think of is that I estimated barometric pressure off of this chart ( http://www.sablesys.com/baro-altitude.html ) and didn't take a direct reading. Any ideas?

Thanks,

jmden

Copy and paste from the recent Leupold enews.

Custom Ballistically Matched Reticles:
Over 50 years of scope building experience comes into play when we build a custom reticle from our digital library. These reticles are tuned to your load to provide astonishing long range accuracy. Provide your ballistics data and we will do the rest.

Bullet Drop Compensation Dials:
You know your rifle, scope, and ballistics like no one else. Let Leupold help you take advantage of your trajectory by building you a custom BDC dial that will precisely match your load and range for a new level of long range precision shot placement. Aircraft grade aluminum dials, precisely laser engraved, are the key to this system. This valuable modification will prove its worth immediately in the field.

Adjustment Dial Changes:
Contact the Leupold Custom Shop for information on the full line of adjustment dial options. There are possibilities for most scopes, and one of our highly skilled technical service representatives would be glad to guide you through the options.

I was a little concerned that these Stoney Point target knobs weren't watertight so a made a little modification to help with that.

First, I set a small o-ring on the top of the bottom of the two-piece knob that seals around the SS spindle and to the top surface of the bottom piece of the knob. Then I used a counter sink bit and some polishing to give room for the o-ring to mostly sit in and seal in the upper part.

The countersink is cut such that the o-ring has just a bit of pressure on it as the top part of the knob is spun while still mating well with the bottom part of the two-piece knob. A little well placed silicone grease helps to lube and also further helps with watertighness and sealing. Some pipe thread compound in the set screw threads up top completes the modification.

Should be quite watertight. All seems to function normally after the modifications.

jmden

I knew all about Leupold's M1 knobs and their M3 knobs....

But this is the first I've seen of their M2 knobs. Has anybody used them? By the looks of their custom shop order sheet it looks like they could be installed on a VX-III scope. I really like their low profile.

Any experience with these knobs?

For those interested, the M2 knobs can't be installed in a regular 30mm VX-III yet, but hopefully will be able in a few months. These are they:

m2.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts