Let's see your Varmint rifles !

sweet looking rigs!

So I take it that noise suppressers are mandatory in New Zealand?

Must add significantly to the cost.

sweet looking rigs!

So I take it that noise suppressers are mandatory in New Zealand?

Must add significantly to the cost.

Thanks.

No, supressors are not mandatory over here, but I really prefer to use them on my varmint rigs, and other heavy rifles (where weight is not an issue). So much nicer to shoot and makes it easier to spot your shots (much the same as using a brake) and the big benefit is that it is quiet, and animals don't all clear out at the first shot. Its quite funny watching a group of rabbits wondering why their mate next to them has just exploded! and then proceeding to shoot the rest of them without the others having much of a clue what is going on. Also good when you are shooting with a spotter as you don't need to wear earmuffs/plugs.

Good supressors are around $500 NZD fitted, so about $350USD. Money well spent I think..

Thanks.

No, supressors are not mandatory over here, but I really prefer to use them on my varmint rigs, and other heavy rifles (where weight is not an issue). So much nicer to shoot and makes it easier to spot your shots (much the same as using a brake) and the big benefit is that it is quiet, and animals don't all clear out at the first shot. Its quite funny watching a group of rabbits wondering why their mate next to them has just exploded! and then proceeding to shoot the rest of them without the others having much of a clue what is going on. Also good when you are shooting with a spotter as you don't need to wear earmuffs/plugs.

Good supressors are around $500 NZD fitted, so about $350USD. Money well spent I think..

As you probably know, owning a supressor hear in the US is like owning a full auto.... it is a Class III item and you have to pay a tax & etc......

Yes, seems a little odd I think. Here you need to jump through hoops if you want to own something like an AR15 (or similar "military style" semi auto's), and handguns, well that's even more restrictive... but supressors aren't a problem...

Here's my old Rem 788 with a factory medium contour barrell chambered for .222 rem. Scope is a Monarch 4x16 with ballistic mil-dot.

222.jpg

I've got a couple of Varmint/Predator rifles, but here's the latest addition to my family.

PICT0060.jpg

PICT0058.jpg

PICT0056.jpg

Bushmaster lower with Magpul tactical stock (adjustable cheek piece and LOP), Sierra Precision thumbrest grip, RitePull grip extension (puts the trigger on the pad instead of the knuckle), Jewel trigger (of course). ASI custom .223 upper 22' UMSS fluted barrel, 1-8 twist, chromed bolt and carrier. Supposed to (gauranteed to) shoot sub 1/2 moa (3 shot) groups with certain Federal Premium factory ammo. Leupold Mark 4 LRT 8.5-25X-50 with TMR in a Nightforce 20 moa Unimount.

The scope is temporary until I get loads developed/tested. Then it's gonna have a NF 2.5-10 compact with MOA reticle and ACD on it.

I just got the scope mounted last night, hope to find out soon how well it really shoots. The test target showed 3 shots touching each other at 100 yds. Supposedly a .175" group at 100 yds.....?? Wish me Luck!!

Good looking rig. Can you drop me an email when you get a minute? I may get to Newcastle this spring and wanted to talk.

I've got a couple of Varmint/Predator rifles, but here's the latest addition to my family.

PICT0060.jpg

PICT0058.jpg

PICT0056.jpg

Bushmaster lower with Magpul tactical stock (adjustable cheek piece and LOP), Sierra Precision thumbrest grip, RitePull grip extension (puts the trigger on the pad instead of the knuckle), Jewel trigger (of course). ASI custom .223 upper 22' UMSS fluted barrel, 1-8 twist, chromed bolt and carrier. Supposed to (gauranteed to) shoot sub 1/2 moa (3 shot) groups with certain Federal Premium factory ammo. Leupold Mark 4 LRT 8.5-25X-50 with TMR in a Nightforce 20 moa Unimount.

The scope is temporary until I get loads developed/tested. Then it's gonna have a NF 2.5-10 compact with MOA reticle and ACD on it.

I just got the scope mounted last night, hope to find out soon how well it really shoots. The test target showed 3 shots touching each other at 100 yds. Supposedly a .175" group at 100 yds.....?? Wish me Luck!!

222503.jpg

rem model 7 action, shilen 1-9 twist, rifle basix trigger, extensive stock work(lead filled butt, steel reinforced forend, pillar and epoxy bedding) leupold 6-18 with a mil dot reticle and m1 turrets, mounted with a machined 700 short action picitiny base.

i shoot 70grn berger vld's at 3260fps

260m70-1.jpg

.260 Rem on M70 CFA. 6-30x58 USO SN3

P5120935-1.jpg

Custom M700 in .204 Ruger 32gr Hornady at 3900. 3.2-17x44 SN3

7wsm.jpg

Custom M70 in 7mm WSM. 100gr Hornady HP Varmint @ 3600 3.2-17x44/58 SN3. Now has 3.8-22x58 SN3

Last edited:
Here are the light and heavy of it. A Remington VSSF in 22/250,and a Tikka T3 Stainless in 22/250 as well. The little NEF .223 is about as handy a walking hogger as there ever was. Shoots quite well actually. I got lucky.
IM002018.jpg

IM001918.jpg

IM000903-1.jpg