Lets Discuss “Range Etiquette” for a moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What year?
2007, I bought her brand new. Did all the work myself. She's not just show, got a lot of "go" under the hood, too...So much so, the factory trans is slipping, and needs replacing with a Suncoast M3GA 68 and triple-disc converter...Which ain't cheap. :(

A clean truck is a sign of a sick mind.;)
That was taken a few weeks ago, which was the first time it's been actually hand-washed in almost 10 years. Normally I just let nature wash it, but it was covered in pine pollen that was stuck on there and wouldn't go away. It was so bad I couldn't see out of the windows or mirrors. Plus, we already had the pressure washer sitting out, so I topped it off with gas and got to washing.

I never shot at a private or public range until about 15 years ago. Everything was on our land in the back. When a couple bought a section of land next to us and started raising horses. I joined a couple ranges I tried to fit in and made sure I learned the rules and tried to understand the ediquette of the shooters around me. This isn't hard to do with a little common sense. I think it's the range you belong to that makes a difference in who you deal with. I go to one public range that is close to my home 15 minutes away. The private club l belong to is about an hour away and they are two different worlds.
If you would meet me at the range you would find that I'm tollerent of other shooters and curtious as well. I have fixed shooters guns on the range lent target stands and tools to other shooters. I have had people ask every question in the book and let many people shoot my rifles. I can spot new shooters a mile away and have helped them get started, one example I remember is whe my son and I were at the local range. If the range is crowded we set up one target stand and shoot together but if there is room we set up two. This particular day the range was busy and we had left the second stand in the back of the truck. This young couple come and set up beside us and realize they did not have a target stand, I could hear them discussing what they were going to do and offered them the spare I had. They accepted and I told them they could have it because it wasn't much and getting a little worn. A couple months later here comes the same couple and the young guy comes over and says I got you stand and he returned it with a new board on it. So you meet these kind of people but you meet the others as well.
A few examples , during a cease fire ( clear called ) guys were down range when a shooter fired a shot down range. Getting yelled at by several terrified people the guys said you guys were no where near my target! Yeah that happened . Also the day the two boys around 10 or 11 years old crawling under the benches and getting brass during a hot range. We called a cease fire and had to ask dad to have them wait for the shooting to stop first before they got in front of the benches. The shots through the roof at the range . Or the day a guy in a wheel chair made several comments on how much he liked my TC Pro hunter 50 cal. I ask him if he wanted to shoot it and he gladly accepted. He pulled the trigger and looked back at me and said you should have told me it kicked that hard. He wheeled away ticked off at me! This does not happen at my private range because you would lose your membership.
Let's not rip Remmy 700 because you don't know what he is dealing with. Theee is a guy at one of the ranges i shoot that is there every Saturday morning. He is ther first thing and take position at the far right end of the range. He is very organized , handloads everthing even shotgun slugs . Shoots for about three hours then leaves. Don't mess with him follow the range rules and he won't bother you. Bother this guy and you will see rudeness like you won't believe. I have shot with him on several occasions when we were the only two guys on the range and he never bothered me at all saying only a few words the whole time. Mostly clear and hot. I saw him getting coffee one morning and he ask me if I had been to the range lately? I told him I would be there Saturday morning he said I'll see you there and I did ! He nodded I waved back and that was it!

So many of us are pretty dedicated in the art of not only proper shooting form but also building our own precision loads tuned for our rifles. Many hours is spent in the reloading room with the built up excitement at the next chance to try this stuff out on the range. Over the years I have seen some stupid things that make me realize some people could care less about us load testers or anyone else for that matter! So here are a few things that I absolutely hate and please chime in with what u have experienced! New guys read this and DO NOT DO IT!
1. If the range is wide open except for one person who happens to have a little blue reloading box open with nice neat rows of 5 rounds staggered with gaps between them to carefully keep his loads separated, wearing a can with a magnetospeed mounted to it, KEEP your distance with your stupid AR and refrain from pelting him with brass.
2. As mentioned before he has a can and is not wearing hearing protection so do not come to the next stall away from him carefully lining up your tank break on your 6.5 creedmoor with his face.
3. Do not talk to this guy unless he first talks to u. This is not the barber shop and serious business is taking place.
4. If the rifle he has looks nice and expensive, well it prolly is. If u want to know more about it, use google.
5. Use your 30x powered scope with 2 foot sunshade on it to check your groups. U don't need to go down after every 5 rounds to look at your target. And most importantly don't ask that guy that is mentioned on the first 4 do not do items if he can check your target for u cause u can't see your shots!
6. Lastly and most importantly don't ask for help zeroing your scope because u are trying to do it at 200 yds and not at 25 or 50 yds like normal experienced shooters. Also don't ask for Allen wrench set or tools cause u are to stupid to bring what u need

Last edited:
Unless some one is doing something dangerous I am not bothered by anything. I have gotten hit with cases often. Blasts from magnum with recoil. Asked to be helped with things from inexperienced or impractical shooters. My Mannlicher stock was dented by a guy shooting an AK47 next to me when his cases ejected. I never once got upset. I'm always glad there are people supporting the world of firearms ownership. You may think what you are doing is important as you put it(LMAO). But it only shows you have extreme emotions where maybe you shouldn't.

I'm pretty luck as I have a range right out my front door. 100 yards for paper then steel at 350,450,750 and 900. I can move around my yard to change those distances too. I'm not sure if I could handle a public range
Same here. Only have to deal with my own stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.