Let them walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have hunted deer most of my life. I wasn't very successful to start with. I had taken more men by the time I was 22, than deer. Stopped hunting for a year or two after that. Finally got back into hunting, by using a shotgun for dove hunting, which got me back into hunting animals. Got a little better funded and started to hunt out of state. There generally five stages in hunting, and you can be in anyone of those stages during your life, and with different animals. This is how it sets out. Novelist that hunts up and down trying to get whatever, and not finding much. The Killer, and has become fairly good at taking whatever. The Method hunter, he has refining his skills and including more equipment to hunt with. The Trophy Hunter. Small buck, does, bulls, doesn't get him or her going. To easy. Has learn how to judge Horns, hunts for only large horn animals. Harder to fine, and even harder to get. To me bowhunting is even harder. Your shots are very close and personal. At one time 80yds wasn't out of the question for me, and that's a long shot with a bow.
To me hunting is looking for and finding an animal by spot, and then stock. There hasn't hardly be a time I couldn't close the distance down to under 200yds. with a rifle. I have made the 500yds+ shoots too. My groups were generally in the 3" area at 500yds. I take pride in closing my distance down to under 300yds. A lots less than that most of the times.
Animals aren't generally really afraid of you if you are out 500+ yds in front of you, and you haven't spoked them. Now I have worked with my two boys from early on, and shown them, to watch, and how to judge horns.
I think that one of the best ways to teach kid on hunting is that they have binoculars and all sit down and look for whatever animals you are hunting, and others at the same time. It got to be game as to who would spot the first animal or animals. Then teach them on how judge them. Most years I go home without an animal, because it didn't measured up. I don't care, it was the hunt that mattered.
Taking does cut the population down, but there are thinning that is needed to be done too. A buck can services a great many does. Washington if I remember correctly has a 4 point or more in there muley hunting only. I noted sometime back there was a lot of large bucks, but 3 points or under. No small small buck with 4 points showing up either with small racks.
Arizona has so many hunting seasons, and it's taken it tole too. Montana in a lot of ways has done the same thing. Wolves are another big problem in several states, and have cut down all of herds down too. Wyoming has worked hard to keep the wolves down. Idaho is working reducing the Wolves too, to get it back into line.
I feel that what it should be, is take a wolf first, then you get your deer and elk tag. If they want to see wolves, then the wolves are safe in the National Parks. Outside of that they are fair game anytime of the year, like in Wyoming. No tags or license required.
almost correct, 3 pt or better in many areas of wa. we need a year or two of 2 pt. i see several 2 pt muley buck every year over 26 inch that are the dominant bucks in their area. kill that gene out! otherwise, i havent shot a buck in 5 years beacause i dont need the meat, even though i like it, and i wont shoot a small buck. my2 cents

There is nothing an unprincipled man hates more than a principled man.

So if it's legal, it's good huh? It has been "legal" for the state of california to ban AR15's. It's legal for government agencies to bankrupt good men over a technicality. The legal system rarely has anything to do with what is right or just. Something tells me unprincipled men will pick and choose when they want to use the law as a shield or as a sword in their arguments. Principled men will always be at odds with unprincipled men. This thread is just one example of it.

@codyadams, I appreciate your post. Respecting me as you say, and I take you at your word, you'll understand that I knew in advance full well the reception my thread would receive here, yet I posted it anyway. Think on that some if you like and give me a call after with your thoughts. I'd like to hear them. I share my opinion, with no one in my crosshairs. They identify themselves, label themselves, and attack me for it. I didn't know who I was talking about specifically, but they all sure did, didn't they?

The saddest part is, they think I'm the one judging them.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

So, what is the real purpose of this thread? Just curious because so far it has just created a bunch of animosity and nothing constructive.

Now if a person chooses to let a smaller, less mature game walk that is fine. That's a personal choice which I have no trouble with. If a person waits for a true trophy that's fine also, I've passed on trophies on the first day of a hunt. And there is nothing wrong that I can see in taking young game or does/ cows if permitted. I don't get to hunt much these days but I prefer a full freezer.

So, what is the real purpose of this thread? Just curious because so far it has just created a bunch of animosity and nothing constructive
To create a stir and promote his " primal rights"
The guy is actually pretty smart about getting traffic. He just goes about it like an arse
He just needs to lay off the WWOD.

I will hit "ignore" on every one of you without hesitation.

This post is for the rest of you. The guys that are trying to be good responsible sportsmen that know how to manage our resources.

Teach this restraint to the younger generation
I in no way attacked you. You apparently didn't like my post which had a valid point so instead of arguing your own view you hit ignore.
Calling anyone with a different view than you not a good sportsman? Are you a biologist?
Telling anyone how to raise their children isn't going to end well.
I have no problem with what you are saying and pass on immature animals yearly but it's my choice, not yours.

Well, orkan, I think you're gonna have to suck it up and know that you are better than the vast majority of us.

Only a couple times in my life did I set out to look for and wait, for if necessary, a trophy. The rest of the time I go out to have fun and kill something to put in the freezer. I don't hunt to impress anyone.

One year I saw twenty-one spikes. I thought my area would be crawling with fork bucks the next year. Nope. Didn't happen. The state biologists discovered the same thing and now allow "visible antlers" as legal. I know of two hunters who mistook big spikes for forks. Both hunters walked right on by as though they didn't see the deer lying there and must have missed the shot. Now they can tag that spike.

So if it's legal, it's good huh? It has been "legal" for the state of california to ban AR15's. It's legal for government agencies to bankrupt good men over a technicality. The legal system rarely has anything to do with what is right or just. Something tells me unprincipled men will pick and choose when they want to use the law as a shield or as a sword in their arguments. Principled men will always be at odds with unprincipled men. This thread is just one example of it.

@codyadams, I appreciate your post. Respecting me as you say, and I take you at your word, you'll understand that I knew in advance full well the reception my thread would receive here, yet I posted it anyway. Think on that some if you like and give me a call after with your thoughts. I'd like to hear them. I share my opinion, with no one in my crosshairs. They identify themselves, label themselves, and attack me for it. I didn't know who I was talking about specifically, but they all sure did, didn't they?

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Even the best messages can be spoiled by the delivery. You are the one alluding to others as being "Unprincipled". Ultimate judgment belongs to my Savior in Heaven, not some pharisee in the Western part of the US. You come off extremely condescending as a hunter and a Christian. I had a teacher many years ago who said that you can draw more flies with honey than you can with vinegar. If you and I met I'm sure we would agree on most things in life I just feel you may have overstepped with this post.

Brent

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

We get it, you want more trophies.

I am principled. I don't judge people who legally fill their tag.

You should look up "hubris" in a dictionary....

I can't believe a "good Christian" would be so arrogant and judgmental. I'm so great and if you tell me I'm not…. I'll "ignore" you. I sir do not believe in silencing anyone so I will not ignore you. Please be a "good Christian" and ignore me!!!

Is the cancel culture in this forum now?

A good Christian doesn't judge or is disrespectful, he may disagree but respects the other person's point of view, regardless how wrong he/she is. Ignoring someone because they disagree with you? I think you need to join Brandon and the democratic party then.

Now, to the let them walk part. Yes, it would be nice for everyone to let the small bucks walk, but that's not the case. If I get a decent 8 pt deer in my crosshair, he is going down. I prefer 8 pt bucks or larger, but in the last day of the season, a 6 pt will be just fine to fill the freezer.

In some states letting them walk won't work. There aren't enough game animals.

The memories that come from the hunts, whether there is a kill ir not, those are the trophies, not he animal that made it to the freezer.

Now, will I celebrate with a kid that his first deer was a spike or 4 pt forkie, heck yeah I will. I will do what I can for that kid to feel awesome about his hunt, but also, I would make it more about the memory and the experience than the antlers/horns.

If you feel like it, ignore me, I won't judge you or feel offended

PS.... As mentioned already multiple times, your delivery method could've also been different and received a more positive response. Honey not vinegar, as the saying goes.

God bless

Status
Not open for further replies.