Let them walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming that trophy's can only be measured by numbers and not the hunt that you had so it must be everybody else's fault And yet you can walk into a taxidermist shop every year and see tons of new large framed animals ( learn to hunt better or go pay a guide his price)

I brought a problem, and a solution. You're asking why... which is not the same as claiming I didn't provide a solution.

At least you're thinking. So, you definitely get it.
No Sir, I am not asking why. I understand why. I am asking what. I can judge a mature buck. What makes it mature enough? What are the defined parameters to make it a harvestable buck per the request. I also understand this is deeper than stats on horns. I actually have a bit of the opposite view however. I think the relentless quest for trophies and facechat posts and snapbook likes has done more to degrade the experience of hunting than anything.

I'd say the Antelope buck in your picture is probably in the mid to high 40" and maybe even low 50's. Not a shooter for ME in my part of the woods by any means. I'm only familiar with NM and AZ Antelope herds so I know what's out there and what can be taken in these states with being patient and selective. I like to shoot big animals but that's just me. This is the Antelope I shot last year in Az.

4AB2821B-2155-4DC4-AF5E-C2C72B5E82E5.jpeg
8705D58A-035C-431A-9BC3-3FD5C39EEA47.jpeg

You guys all have valid points the way I see it. At least the pages I read. I also think you are incredibly lucky to be able to hunt the way you do. I let deer walk (run) because they are too small but mostly because I don't feel like I have the shot. You got a few seconds to make that call, theres no watching, taking pictures and so on. The does do get use to me and don't spook so bad but the bucks, much different story. They will not come out of swamp / thick brush during daylight hours. Big rack or small rack, that's about all the time I have. When I was a young hunter there were no deer at all around here. Now there are lots of deer and more hunters than ever, go figure. It would be a "dream vacation" to come hunt the way youall do but don't worry, too expensive and way to complicated.

Be happy all, we still got guns and some ammunition.

Attachments

• FILE0558 (800x600).jpg
    FILE0558 (800x600).jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 39
No Sir, I am not asking why. I understand why. I am asking what. I can judge a mature buck. What makes it mature enough? What are the defined parameters to make it a harvestable buck per the request. I also understand this is deeper than stats on horns. I actually have a bit of the opposite view however. I think the relentless quest for trophies and facechat posts and snapbook likes has done more to degrade the experience of hunting than
Oh I see what you're after. Yeah, we're in agreement there regarding social media and its effect on hunting. I tried to make it clear that my post was not about specific sizes or specific methods. It was about principles. I'll elaborate on this in a moment.

Thing is, this respectful dialogue we're having? Yeah that's the entirety of what I'm talking about. As I've mentioned previously, the size, age, and other factors are not what I'm taking strong exception to. I thought my subsequent posts made this very clear. The total lack of any standard, is what I take exception to. Each region, species, season, and countless other factors determine what constitutes a trophy animal. The problem I refer to consistently is the differentiation between men of principle and men without.

I post in generalities, naming no one. I knew exactly what would happen. People would define to what degree I was talking about them specifically. They did this, not me... then, based on how they thought what I said applied to them, want to make me defend things I did not say. The same people can be seen doing this every day here on this site. This is the core of what is wrong with men in general. They've hurled every insult they can come up with, including trying to attack my status as a Christian. I say something about unprincipled men, and people come flying out of the woodwork applying that label to themselves, pitchfork in hand. Yet at no time did my original post name them. They read it, and said "hey, he's talking about me, how dare he," and responded in kind. I thank them for this. I'm sad for them, but I thank them none the less, because I'm exceedingly tired of reading their contentious posts here every single day. Now, I'm spared that in the future. I don't need that in my life. No one does, actually. Point in fact, I'm specifically commanded to keep away from people like that. This is not the place to change mens hearts. I've been trying to do that in every way I know how for the better part of my career... and it simply doesn't work. Those that I'm meant to help change, will find their way to me. Those that aren't for me, will never be for me. I'm totally ok with it. Never was, but I certainly am these past few years.

Yet you'll notice those precious few that had the awareness of themselves to think for the smallest bit of time. Yourself included. I applaud you for it, sincerely. Puts a smile on my face.

I do think there is a character conclusion to be drawn from those that are willing to let non-trophy animals walk. Though it is infinitely more complex than the way I presented it. Though that simplistic presentation was not accidental. Those that have the tiniest bit of respect for me, knew that, and responded with it in mind. Those that are on here every single day spewing trash and willing to be hostile toward anyone at a moments notice... didn't. I didn't label them. They labelled themselves. That's what this is all about.

As proof of this, below is my pronghorn from last season (pictured below) wouldn't even be glanced at in certain trophy units of some states. It's a trophy here, and I know that because we definitely don't have trophy unit genetics in most units here. I'm not upset at principled men that set their standard based on some specific criteria that's been well thought out. They've thought about it, can explain it, and it matters to them. It's not for me to define their principles, but it is for me to demand they have principles. I can make demands of people that hunt my property with me. That's enough. I can also encourage other hunters to be mindful of our resources and be seen as taking a stand with them. No, they are not alone and there's at least one visible person in me that will sacrifice time, money, effort, to let animals grow and populate. I don't think I'm "special" in that way. However, there seems to be fewer and fewer people of principle. Not wanting to read the trash some people want to put into the world every single day does not make me a failure as a Christian. I certainly will take no responsibility for the labels they apply to themselves.

gYuQladh.jpg

Everyone would do well to decide who they want around them. People constantly justifying any and all behavior. That's who you don't want around. People who want you to be better, always, and will help you make improvements in your life to achieve those standards. That's who you want around. For some of us, that will come in the form of a hunting buddy that helps you pass on not-so-exceptional specimens. For others, that will come in the form of a gym buddy that yells at your face to get that one last rep in. Don't worry about being popular. Set a standard and adhere to it. Die on that hill if necessary. Those that matter will be on that hill, dying right along side you. Those that don't matter, will be on the internet, arguing with people that don't care about them.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Oh I see what you're after. Yeah, we're in agreement there regarding social media and its effect on hunting. I tried to make it clear that my post was not about specific sizes or specific methods. It was about principles. I'll elaborate on this in a moment.

Thing is, this respectful dialogue we're having? Yeah that's the entirety of what I'm talking about. As I've mentioned previously, the size, age, and other factors are not what I'm taking strong exception to. I thought my subsequent posts made this very clear. The total lack of any standard, is what I take exception to. Each region, species, season, and countless other factors determine what constitutes a trophy animal. The problem I refer to consistently is the differentiation between men of principle and men without.

I post in generalities, naming no one. I knew exactly what would happen. People would define to what degree I was talking about them specifically. They did this, not me... then, based on how they thought what I said applied to them, want to make me defend things I did not say. The same people can be seen doing this every day here on this site. This is the core of what is wrong with men in general. They've hurled every insult they can come up with, including trying to attack my status as a Christian. I say something about unprincipled men, and people come flying out of the woodwork applying that label to themselves, pitchfork in hand. Yet at no time did my original post name them. They read it, and said "hey, he's talking about me, how dare he," and responded in kind. I thank them for this. I'm sad for them, but I thank them none the less, because I'm exceedingly tired of reading their contentious posts here every single day. Now, I'm spared that in the future. I don't need that in my life. No one does, actually. Point in fact, I'm specifically commanded to keep away from people like that. This is not the place to change mens hearts. I've been trying to do that in every way I know how for the better part of my career... and it simply doesn't work. Those that I'm meant to help change, will find their way to me. Those that aren't for me, will never be for me. I'm totally ok with it. Never was, but I certainly am these past few years.

Yet you'll notice those precious few that had the awareness of themselves to think for the smallest bit of time. Yourself included. I applaud you for it, sincerely. Puts a smile on my face.

I do think there is a character conclusion to be drawn from those that are willing to let non-trophy animals walk. Though it is infinitely more complex than the way I presented it. Though that simplistic presentation was not accidental. Those that have the tiniest bit of respect for me, knew that, and responded with it in mind. Those that are on here every single day spewing trash and willing to be hostile toward anyone at a moments notice... didn't. I didn't label them. They labelled themselves. That's what this is all about.

As proof of this, below is my pronghorn from last season (pictured below) wouldn't even be glanced at in certain trophy units of some states. It's a trophy here, and I know that because we definitely don't have trophy unit genetics in most units here. I'm not upset at principled men that set their standard based on some specific criteria that's been well thought out. They've thought about it, can explain it, and it matters to them. It's not for me to define their principles, but it is for me to demand they have principles. I can make demands of people that hunt my property with me. That's enough. I can also encourage other hunters to be mindful of our resources and be seen as taking a stand with them. No, they are not alone and there's at least one visible person in me that will sacrifice time, money, effort, to let animals grow and populate. I don't think I'm "special" in that way. However, there seems to be fewer and fewer people of principle. Not wanting to read the trash some people want to put into the world every single day does not make me a failure as a Christian. I certainly will take no responsibility for the labels they apply to themselves.

gYuQladh.jpg

Everyone would do well to decide who they want around them. People constantly justifying any and all behavior. That's who you don't want around. People who want you to be better, always, and will help you make improvements in your life to achieve those standards. That's who you want around. For some of us, that will come in the form of a hunting buddy that helps you pass on not-so-exceptional specimens. For others, that will come in the form of a gym buddy that yells at your face to get that one last rep in. Don't worry about being popular. Set a standard and adhere to it. Die on that hill if necessary. Those that matter will be on that hill, dying right along side you. Those that don't matter, will be on the internet, arguing with people that don't care about them.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Lots of truth in most words you have shared with us on this last thread of yours. However, if most folks that disagree with you or of different opinion/beliefs than yours and disturbs you than maybe you would be better off on another forum. Just saying and hope you can find content somewhere. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.