Let a really good bear go today..............

Catahoula

Hey Guys,
Spotted a really good bear this morning at 8 AM. Stalked within 87 yards & watched him for about 10 minutes. Beautiful reddish-brown color. He was all of 6 feet and probably more. Let him go because I know there are bigger bears in the area and I have a freezer full of bear steaks from my Idaho bear & my cousins Idaho bear that I helped backpack out. Don't get no better than that on a Sunday morning in the mountains.
Kirk

Kirk,

We otta get together one of these days.

How does one prepare a bear steak? I'm thinkin' gumbo or some such.:)

Yep you had a great Idaho morning.

You'll never get a giant if you're not willing to pass on "dinks". Not that a 6 footer is a dink, but it sounds like there are bigger out there.

Good job. I would have a hard time passing a 6' cinnamon too.

Hey brentc,
Thank you for the reply. I love bear hunting more than anything. There is so much more to the hunt than the kill. When you can sit & watch a bear that is not on a bait or in a tree with dogs it is so fascinating. You are in their world. I need to get a good camera for the ones I let go.
Thanks, Kirk

Man I wish I live in country were you could observe bear like that!! I may see two a year even with significant time in bear sign it hard to put it all together if you can't sit and watch them. Found a sow and three cubs last weekend and felt dang good, there is at least sign of one bear without cubs so maybe fall season I guess.

I passed on 5 bears this spring,BECAUSE I was after a cinnamon.Have a few minutes of a nice black,stand up in the vid.After I passed the nice black, I heard from a guy that a cinnamon was taken in that area day earlier,bummmer:rolleyes:

Hey Bigngreen,
My daughter lives in Bozeman & I spend alot of time in MT. I have seen 4 bears in 1 day hunting with her. There are ALOT of bears not to far from you. Every year I get the nonresident fishing permit to go with the grandkids & I know some good bear spots.
Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.