Seen a bear today....................

Fun to watch them working a snow slide. It must pay off regular enough to keep at it.

There are deer yard up areas in the timber down towards the beach. The bears know where these are and will go to them. A lot of time the snow will cover up the carcasses as they die. More deer come to the yards, some of them die and get buried by more snow and the cycle continues until winter ends. . The dominant bears get their pick of what areas they want.

There are deer yard up areas in the timber down towards the beach. The bears know where these are and will go to them. A lot of time the snow will cover up the carcasses as they die. More deer come to the yards, some of them die and get buried by more snow and the cycle continues until winter ends. . The dominant bears get their pick of what areas they want.

Wow, that is interesting, no idea that there was such a thing as a "deer yard" until now. I googled it and I saw tons of pictures with massive quantities of deer together.

Interesting too that the bear frequent that, makes lots of sense!

Hoping to get a black bear tag here in MN during the next couple years.

Dan

Well if you don't want to wait and u have a pretty good camper. Just drive up the ALCAN to Alaska. We got LOTS or bears. No guide needed. Come kill some of our fawn and calf eaters. We'll thank you for it!!!
Black bears that is. Unit 12 has a 3 black bear limit and all u need is a harvest ticket. I'm pretty sure they are free and there is no closed season. Same with Unit 11+13+14 . That's a pretty good size chunk of ground. U ought to be able to get some bears.

Last edited:
Well if you don't want to wait and u have a pretty good camper. Just drive up the ALCAN to Alaska. We got LOTS or bears. No guide needed. Come kill some of our fawn and calf eaters. We'll thank you for it!!!
Black bears that is. Unit 12 has a 3 black bear limit and all u need is a harvest ticket. I'm pretty sure they are free and there is no closed season. Same with Unit 11+13+14 . That's a pretty good size chunk of ground. U ought to be able to get some bears.

That is some of the best news I have ever heard! I just contacted one of my hunting buddies. We will try to make it up there in the not too distant future!
Thanks for the great information!
Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.