Let’s see those Smokeless builds!!

I see what you're saying. I was looking into doing the exact same thing, but going the arrowhead route. Any reason to go savage vs Remington 700? Also preference to go with Hankins over arrowhead? And small shank over large shank? Large shank hypothetically would be able to handle more powder, correct? I know that doesn't always mean accuracy, but the potentially to push a bullet faster is there. How limited are you in regards to powder charges in the small shank? What are you expecting for FPS? I apologize for all of the questions. I am fairly uninformed if you couldn't tell and I'm looking to absorb as much information about smokeless muzzleloaders as possible. More or less weighing all of the options and see which route is the best to go for me. I've 100% decided I'm going to get a smokeless for next year, I'm just having trouble deciding between a cva 45-70 conversion and a bolt action. If a bolt action, what action to get along with barrel length. There's too many options. I would love a custom muzzy from Arrowhead, but that isn't in the cards. If I went the bolt route it would be something along the lines of what you mentioned above. Getting a .308 action and mating it up to a brux barrel that is ready to go with breech plug and modules. Thanks again for any insight.

Here's a phrase my dad (R.I.P.) always used.........

"If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money and time to do it over?"

Be advised....... ALL the builders have tons of orders to fill. I highly suggest that if you are certain of what you want, you put your order in NOW. You will be extremely lucky to have a bolt rifle built in a year.

small or large shank probably would not affect loads size, i will say 67 grains of 4198 is about all you want to shoot without putting a monster break like i have on mine, as to the break action they are cool and shoot well but i understand the eat scopes and are not nearly as accurate and can be bench finicky but plenty M.O.N minute of nanner head

And small shank over large shank? Large shank hypothetically would be able to handle more powder, correct?
As I've been told (over on 'Hanks Message Board') a large shank action would be stiffer and "flex" less thus increasing accuracy potential. I'm wanting to do exactly what you're looking to do as well even though my Hankins CVA conversion shoots into a half-minute (or better) at 200 yards and has plenty of velocity at same distance for hunting (3-shot avg. of 2,482 fps). I just haven't 100% committed…

Also, for your consideration. Would require changing the bolt face to .308, though..

Last edited:
Finally got it finished.
D8D0B68E-AE73-4967-A84A-689DCF39CB1B.png
B1224517-FF0C-4C0A-B484-FCE17D84B32C.png

Thats beautiful! What are the specs on that: Barrel (contour, length, twist), Action, ignition system, powder chamber y/n. Cal. and bullets you are planing to shoot. I am in the process of having one built and this info would be very helpful. I actually have that stock sitting here and thinking of dedicating it to the Muzzy Project. I have a hunt in M/L Kansas this year and trying to upgrade before then, Its a bit a drive for me so I want to do everything I can to make it a great hunt.

Thanks,
Dave

Here are a few 45 cal muzzleloaders I have built using hankins ignition system. I have messed with smokeless using 325 grain pittman Areomax bullets pushing them 3,100 fps. The 300 grain Areomax going 3,200 fps. Where I live it is not legal to use smokeless for hunting so I use blackthorn 209 with the 300 grain Areomax going 2,645 fps. Here are a few pictures of the three shot test groups. These are typical groups out of these rifles.
What are the length and contour on the barrels? And if you where doing it over would you do the same or go a different contour or length? Nice rigs for sure.

What are the length and contour on the barrels? And if you where doing it over would you do the same or go a different contour or length? Nice rigs for sure.
They are Brux 1-20 twist 28" modified sendero with a 5" shank. I like this contour for a hunting rifle. They finish around 12.5-13.5 pounds with scope, bipod and sling. You can definitely build them lighter but recoil gets pretty severe. I would stay with the 28" modified sendero its right in between the #6 and the #17 contour just my two cents.

This is one I just finished building
It's a SS 700 single shot action
26" Brux sendero contour
Hankins master blaster brake
Hankins breech plug
AG composites alpine hunter stock
Hankins SS picatinny rail with 8-40 screws
Ziess conquest 3-15x42 with the RZ 800 reticle
Trigger tech set at 1-1/2 #
It's cerakoted flat black
It shoots as good as it looks
300 aero max pittmans
73 gr H 4198 at 2800 FPS accuracy is fantastic
Routinely shoots 1" at 300 yards
No need to go faster our Whitetails here in Michigan Never twitch
This is my 9th build and I enjoy watching customers smile after they shoot there first group
Beautiful rifle! Are you happy with the Sendero contour and would you use it again? I am ready to pull the trigger on a build just trying to figure out what contour and length I want to go, 99% of my hunting is out west not in blinds so weight is a factor, but I want to be able to shoot the high BC heavies, I was thinking that the Sendero contour might be a good compromise. What is the weight on your rig with and without scope?
How is the recoil shooting those 300gr.

Last edited:
They are Brux 1-20 twist 28" modified sendero with a 5" shank. I like this contour for a hunting rifle. They finish around 12.5-13.5 pounds with scope, bipod and sling. You can definitely build them lighter but recoil gets pretty severe. I would stay with the 28" modified sendero its right in between the #6 and the #17 contour just my two cents.
Thanks that's what I was looking at. Most my hunting is out west with a lot of hiking so I don't want a bench gun but I also want to keep it shootable with the heavies. Thanks again

Thats beautiful! What are the specs on that: Barrel (contour, length, twist), Action, ignition system, powder chamber y/n. Cal. and bullets you are planing to shoot. I am in the process of having one built and this info would be very helpful. I actually have that stock sitting here and thinking of dedicating it to the Muzzy Project. I have a hunt in M/L Kansas this year and trying to upgrade before then, Its a bit a drive for me so I want to do everything I can to make it a great hunt.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,

The barrel is a Bartlein heavy Varmint, 1:18 twist, 26" barrel with shockwave brake. It's a prefit barrel from PVA for my origin action using ASG's ignition system. It's a .45 and i smooth size, I have a full form but prefer the smooth size with the load through funnel. I have already completed the load data for it and it's an absolute hammer just like my mcwhorter was. I use 102 gr of H4895 and throw 300gr XLD's at 3100 fps and under 1/2 MOA. total weight as pictured with arca rail and mini chassis is 15 lbs on the nose. Shooting off the RRS it barely nudges the shoulder and is extremely easy to shoot accurately.

I will be building another one next year that will be a lighter weight rig using an HCA Carbon wrapped barrel with an AnTi action mated to a Manners LRH and RZR LHT. Should be around 9.5-10lbs. I'll most likely use h4198 for that one and save some recoil with the missing mass.

I live in kansas and kill a stud here every year. PM me with what you're thinking for a hunt here. I may be able to help you out a bit.

Jesse