Let’s see those Smokeless builds!!

This is our new carbon fiber, lightweight smokeless 45 caliber muzzle loader:

Mesa Summit action, Hells Canyon "Muzzy" barrel, Mesa Altitude stock, TriggerTech Special trigger, stock Cerakote in Kuiu Verde 2.0

Davis Custom Rifle & Machine, LLC
www.daviscustomrifle.com

Attachments

• 841664E8-DD19-487F-9F42-34959B84A89B.jpeg
    841664E8-DD19-487F-9F42-34959B84A89B.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 59200217-6B91-4DD4-A03D-D763828223F9.jpeg
    59200217-6B91-4DD4-A03D-D763828223F9.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 144
  • D9E6C84C-85F3-4359-AFC2-F10D1E4DA6A9.jpeg
    D9E6C84C-85F3-4359-AFC2-F10D1E4DA6A9.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 6109A9A4-AEA3-455F-873C-183727521136.jpeg
    6109A9A4-AEA3-455F-873C-183727521136.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 159
What does it weigh, unscoped snd scoped?
How does it shoot the heavies like the 325gr and 350gr pittmans Aeromax, recoil and speeds/loads?

What is the weight on those Hells canyon carbon barrel day 26"or 28", it hard to gage the weight on the other barrel going off the manufacture web sites because the muzzle loaders bores are so big you loose a lot of steel because of the bore diameter. I'm trying to figure out which contour to go.

It's a nice looking rifle!

What does it weigh, unscoped snd scoped?
How does it shoot the heavies like the 325gr and 350gr pittmans Aeromax, recoil and speeds/loads?

What is the weight on those Hells canyon carbon barrel day 26"or 28", it hard to gage the weight on the other barrel going off the manufacture web sites because the muzzle loaders bores are so big you loose a lot of steel because of the bore diameter. I'm trying to figure out which contour to go.

It's a nice looking rifle!
If you go to his instagram he states the weight at 7.75lbs unscoped. Add 4oz for rings and optic of your choice for weight scoped. I read he shot it 5 times to zero and the target pictured was shot by him and another shooter just verifying zero with rounds 4&5. I'm sure speed is commensurate with every other 26-28" barrel 3050-3100 fps with 325 @ 105gr if H4895. I can't imagine wanting to shoot a 350 out of a sub 10lb rifle. I'm yoked and played college football and wouldn't want to deal with that ha.

The weight for the HCA is on ASG's site where they are in stock and it's listed at 3.85lbs. I wish I didn't have two irons in the fire right now, I'd buy this in a heartbeat. I PM'd him about buying one in the future. That mesa action with the slotted bolt to aid in loading the modules is a slick feature!

The rifle was finished on Wednesday on the first week of our muzzle loader season (only two weeks in NC), Load development was literally those first five shots. It was 2875 with 71 grains of H4198 (I normaly shoot 73 or 74 at mid 2900's) with a Parker 275 E-Max. The barrel is 24" long, 20 twist. It's a Brux barrel carbon wrapped at Hells Canyon. The NightForce was on it until the Vortex Razor LHT arrived so I didn't weigh it with scopes. The recoil is not what you think, the lighter rifle doesn't seem to drive into your shoulder as hard as the heavies, but it does seem to have more muzzle lift.

This has turned into a REALLY GREAT thread, guys! Keep it going! As indicated in my #158 I sold the Hankins conversion (and all components) to @Outcast2.0 and he should be picking the rifle up from his FFL this week. Seeing all these awesome bolt-gun front stuffers was just too much for me (Thanks Fellas 😂🤣)…….so I've got one being put together and will put some pics up when it's all said and done. I went with:
- Hank's #17 contour .45 cal 26" Brux prefit w/4-port muzzle brake and precision barrel-nut
- Remington 700 L/A w/ custom bolt-knob
- Holland recoil lug
- HS Precision PST 036 stock
- Remington trigger tuned to a very crisp 2 lbs.
- Warne steel rail & rings
- Matthew's Fabrication Kydex cheek riser (thin blue line American flag)
- Trijicon Ten Mile 'HX' 6-24 X 50 scope

The plan is to continue shooting 275gr Fury Star Tip MZ's as fast as I safely can using IMR 4198.

We shall see…😉

I am building what should be a very nice SML. The metal work is all done. I am very slowly proceeding with the stock work. Stock is semi-finished "Wildcat Thumbhole" in Apache Gold laminate from Richard's Microfit Stocks. Kelbly Stolle Atlas RBLP receiver, Shilen 28" Heavy Palma .45 barrel, Timney trigger, Arrowhead ignition & brake. I'll post pics when I finish it.

I've had very good results with my Arrowhead Brux barrel & system on my T/C Encore Pro Hunter. It gets about 2550 fps with 60gr 4198 under their 275gr NSR (No Sizing Required) bullet, and is quite accurate at 300 yards.

Last edited:
I am building what should be a very nice SML.
Arrowhead ignition & brake. I'll post pics when I finish it.

Are you building it yourself?
Or having it built?

I ask, as I want to build off my Zermatt TL3 action.
I currently have it build as 6mm CM.
I understand everything EXCEPT the ignition system, as I have no experience with that.
How do you install them, headspace, etc?
Is it straight forward?
You still cock/throw the bolt to reset for fire?
Somehow you insert a primer cap?

I've had very good results with my Arrowhead Brux barrel & system on my T/C Encore Pro Hunter.

I too have an Encore Pro Hunter.
I thought about gong this route also, however,
those Arrowhead Brux barrels are crazy expensive.

Hmm, seems the barrel HAS to be threaded internally on the action end for a breech plug?
So, you can't just buy a blank Brux 45 cal. barrel and have it threaded for an action?

I had been debating what ignition system to use. There are several out there, including Hank's, Rem UML, Arrowhead, and several others. I bought a Rem UML to check out that system, plus a friend has a GunWerks based on the same system. If you're not familiar with it (I wasn't at the time), basically it's a shortened 308 case (or a 45 ACP case) and it headspaces off the thickness of the brass at the flash hole. So, for my friend's GunWerks (which is not smokeless) I took a bunch of cases, sorted them by flash hole thickness, then set up a jig on my mill to make them all the same snug fit. In the UML system, the cut down case hold the primer and the bolt holds the case like it would any 308 case.

I already had a Encore Pro Hunter receiver, so I ordered the Arrowhead barrel (yes, quite expensive - some $1600 or so for the barrel and the whole system with primer modules, bullets, etc.) as a way to try out that system. The Arrowhead system uses little solid brass rimmed modules to hold the primer. With the Pro Hunter, the module just inserts into the chamber like any rimmed cartridge.

I could have made my SML using the Rem UML breech block system, as I have a couple of those breech blocks laying around, but I decided to go with the Arrowhead system because I was so pleased with how well the Pro Hunter barrel shot - it easily bested my friend's $12K GunWerks.

Yes, I am doing all the work myself. It's my first go at barrel work or stock work. I've been carefully studying how to do it for quite awhile now. I've read a lot of books and guides, and watched a lot of videos. I cut the tenon and threaded it as per the specs from Kelbly (super people, and very friendly and helpful, BTW). I indexed the shoulder so the bore curve is up when the barrel is seated. I used "Grizzly rods" from PTG for truing it.

Before working on the actual barrel, I took a piece of stainless steel bar about 1.5" diameter and a foot long, and went through the whole procedure first with that, to make sure I had the procedure down. I worked slowly and carefully, and it came out without any problems. I also ordered a 32" blank from Shilen, so I'd have plenty of room in case I screwed up either end and had to redo it.

My recently installed lathe DRO made a huge difference in getting all the cuts done accurately, plus I took a digital caliper and made a tailstock feed DRO from that. Everything got carefully hand-fitted for a perfect fit.

The Arrowhead breech block is 5/8-18, so once the receiver fit was perfect on the barrel, I drilled and bored the chamber area, then tapped it for the breech block, using only brand-new, USA-made taps; first a taper tap, then a bottoming tap. Headspacing is set by the chamber shoulder that the rim on the breech block bottoms out on. I initially cut the shoulder so the bolt would barely close on a module, but then I remembered that Luke at Arrowhead had also sent me GO-NOGO gauges for it, so I had to cut the shoulder slightly more so the GO would go. Luke was very helpful in providing info and answering my questions.

For this build, I ordered primer modules from Arrowhead that are .308 head, so they are a natural fit for a standard 308 bolt head. The Pro Hunter barrel uses different modules - they are a rimmed design.

If anyone wants any more details on any of it, just let me know.

Recent Posts