Lest we forget, the "Short-Fat" technical idea.

There are 3 things that make 6PPC so successful.
#1 It's tiny. An extreme underbore. So it can be run at competitive pressures way beyond viable in hunting capacity cartridges(like 85Kpsi). The pressures take internal ballistics heavily into diminished returns -which is the same thing as diminished variance. There is not even a gain in weighing their powder, so most don't bother.
#2 N133 powder. This is magical pixie dust right here. Very fast and yet among the coolest of all powders (for a while it was the coolest). Cooler powder means more accurate barrel life, means fewer changes per season. This powder also burns completely in 21 3/4" barrels, producing an extremely low muzzle pressure.
#3 Limited to point blank range benchrest(100-300yds). With this, they can run short/light flat base bullets, that muzzle release cleaner, and require way less twist. They get less bag disturbance with the lower recoil & torque, so they can machinegun between conditions.

There is nothing special about the 6PPC case design, so scaling it up wouldn't buy you anything.

Hmmm, apparently this is still a RAW subject for some/most?! In the end we the end user win brother!
I was looking at 325 WSM cases at Sportsmans yesterday and I had an impure thought of necking it down to .257 with the BJ 130gr, they'll make more barrel steel!

Hmmm, apparently this is still a RAW subject for some/most?! In the end we the end user win brother!
I was looking at 325 WSM cases at Sportsmans yesterday and I had an impure thought of necking it down to .257 with the BJ 130gr, they'll make more barrel steel!
Just neck down some 6.5 saum. You'll lose 5-6gr capacity, but you won't miss it. I'll be building a 25 saum as soon my barrel & reamer show up!

Speaking of cartridge/case design, here's an interesting comparison:

... The .308 was the first large-production military cartridge to fundamentally re-think cartridge proportions...

That sounds to me like Greyfox has hit the nail on the head. Nothing new in the world of cartridge design.

Imagine for just a moment if instead of scaling the .30-'06 cartridge design down for development of the AR-15, Eugene Stoner had instead asked Palmisano and Pindell to design a cartridge for his new military rifle. They would likely have come up with something like the 6 PPC (which they later did for bench rest shooting) -- in other words, a short, stubby case, somewhat similar to the short magnums that featured in the beginning of this discussion. Perhaps that would not have made the shoulder angle so steep, so it would feed more reliably in a military rifle and machine gun. But they would most likely not have kept the .30-'06 proportions.

Perhaps they would have gone a little larger -- say, the 6.5 PPC, or a little smaller -- say the .22 PPC. Of course the .22 PPC is not much different from the .220 Russian, Palmisano and Pindell's parent cartridge for the 6 PPC....

Sounds to me like an interesting subject for a longer discussion!

German's built the 7.92X33 some time before (1943ish) it was released in the StG44.

If NATO would have adopted the .280 British in the 1940's popularity of the .308 Win. would have suffered greatly and 5.56 (.223 Rem) would be a Prairie Dog cartridge.

Long primer tubes are discussed to P.O. Ackley's book 'Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders' but was not worth the effort.

Great Discussions!

Good luck
Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.