A short fat one or long skinny one?

Jluck

That's the question... Would you rather have a longer skinny "one" or a shorter stiffer "one"....

My conundrum, I'm rebarreling my 6.5 Grendel. I currently have a Lothar Walther 24" Heavy-bull barrel, It's just too long for quick maneuverability and ridiculously heavy. I want a 18-20" barrel and will be buying a Lilja fairly soon.

So... Both barrels being equal price would YOU go for a longer/ slightly narrower 20" (.75 at smallest) or a inch (19") shorter stiffer barrel (.85 at smallest). Both barrels weight almost exactly the same.

I might be over thinking this but it has been a mental roadblock for a while now.

Thanks.:)

I've been looking at the question myself for a Grendel bolt gun. I'd go shorter to maintain minimum overall length with a brake or suppressor.

Whichever one you can convince the women to prefer, is your best option. :D

But of those 2 barrel options, I will always go with a heavy barrel unless you need the rifle for pack-rig or lightweight rig, or for a specific purpose.

Whichever one you can convince the women to prefer, is your best option. :D

But of those 2 barrel options, I will always go with a heavy barrel unless you need the rifle for pack-rig or lightweight rig, or for a specific purpose.

I'm only looking to satisfy myself here....:D

I put the 20" 264LBC barrel on mine and it shot AA factory 123 Scenar at I think 2550 holding 1/3moa. The barrel is a bit pricey at $525. but VERY high quality. It is kind of a log but dealable for sure.

I couldn't come up with anything more clever than Mudrunner2005:)

It's all a compromise.
Bench rest guys go short, fat, straight contour, rail guns can be very short barreled.
High powder capacity chambering guys go long to give time for burn and expansion.

I have a 6mmAR 20" and an 6.5Grendel 18". I do not have the Grendel set up just now.

If it were me, I'd have the existing barrel shortened and fluted.

Or

Keep it for varmints and get the AR740 or M4 profile fluted. My 18" is not fluted.

Wanna trade?

I couldn't come up with anything more clever than Mudrunner2005:)

It's all a compromise.
Bench rest guys go short, fat, straight contour, rail guns can be very short barreled.
High powder capacity chambering guys go long to give time for burn and expansion.

I have a 6mmAR 20" and an 6.5Grendel 18". I do not have the Grendel set up just now.

If it were me, I'd have the existing barrel shortened and fluted.

Or

Keep it for varmints and get the AR740 or M4 profile fluted. My 18" is not fluted.

Wanna trade?

PM detail.

As long and fat as she can handle...

Seriously, for the Grendel, 18 to 20 inches should perform well for velocity, and go fat with flutes for stiffness with less weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.