Leopold...I just dont get ity.

so a bunch of guys that dont know squat about optics are telling you the cheaper scope is better. Does that supprise you. They probably put them on there rem automatic 3006 that they consider much bettter then a bolt gun because its so much faster! Im not going to sit here and say a leupold is hands down better then a vortex. I own both and know better. There both good scopes and they both sell midrange optics and top end optics that are an excellent bang for the buck.
I work in a store that sells both the products and I compare vortex and leupold everyday I would for the most part pick the vortex everyday a lot of times and the customers who purchase scopes from me would agree you are getting an equal if not better image quality from the vortex usually at a lower price point.

I remember back in the day when Simmons scopes were first coming on the scene......I was much younger and impressionable and I wanted a Leupold but got sold the cheaper scope.....after finally learning that you get what you pay for, I've personally bought nothing but Leupold, everything from the ultimate slam muzzle loader scope to the Mk8's on my tactical rifles.

Are they the best? I can tell you that my Mk8 stacks up well against the Premier, March & S&B's and my Mk 4 ERT's are better than the NF offerings IMO......their VX 2&3 series are great hunting offerings and the budget VX 1's are available for introductory prices.

As another poster accurately said, Leupold is the standard that everything else is compared to, 20 years ago is was Simmons, today it's Vortex.....plus what other manufacturer covers the range of products that Leupold covers? Plus made in USA!!

Go Leupold or go homegun)

I remember back in the day when Simmons scopes were first coming on the scene......I was much younger and impressionable and I wanted a Leupold but got sold the cheaper scope.....after finally learning that you get what you pay for, I've personally bought nothing but Leupold, everything from the ultimate slam muzzle loader scope to the Mk8's on my tactical rifles.

Are they the best? I can tell you that my Mk8 stacks up well against the Premier, March & S&B's and my Mk 4 ERT's are better than the NF offerings IMO......their VX 2&3 series are great hunting offerings and the budget VX 1's are available for introductory prices.

As another poster accurately said, Leupold is the standard that everything else is compared to, 20 years ago is was Simmons, today it's Vortex.....plus what other manufacturer covers the range of products that Leupold covers? Plus made in USA!!

Go Leupold or go homegun)

Uhh which models are you referring to?

If it has a gold ring on it, it is made in the USA. The glass lenses are made to their specs overseas but everything else is made in Beaverton Oregon by over 600 English speaking, gun loving, shooting employees. Even the entry Redfield's are made there. All the mounts, rings and bases are built right here in Oregon.

Leupold's gold ring scopes are a great value for the money. Better than money in the bank. Every one I have or have had is worth more than I paid for it. Not many other scopes have this kind of resale value. My Vari-X III 6.5-20x40AO I bought at Bi-Mart for retail for $237 in 1984 is now worth more than double. My $100 Bushnell Scope Chief bought about the same time is worth about 1/3 to 1/2 of what I paid for it. Besides being a great scope, that will give me a lifetime of pleasure, a Leupold a solid investment. When I'm done with it, I will get paid to use it.

I have 3 leopolds(only bought 1, the others came on rifles in deals).....I will not buy another.

jrg

When is he last time you paid sticker price for a new truck? Here's a link to a more realistic price: Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25x56mm Rifle Scope FREE S&H 115062, 115062-KIT1, 115150, 115150-KIT1. Leupold Rifle Scopes.

Qualify for the military LEO discount? Even better......

I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy one, only letting folks know what's out what's out there.

Feature to feature it's a great deal and yes I've been around all the high end scopes and even looked through a NF beast side by side to mine yesterday am at daylight!! I've done the same with S&B', premier, March & USO including the complete NF line.

I don't care what you shoot, just don't try to convince me that a Vortex scope is equal to a Leupold.........

When is he last time you paid sticker price for a new truck? Here's a link to a more realistic price: Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25x56mm Rifle Scope FREE S&H 115062, 115062-KIT1, 115150, 115150-KIT1. Leupold Rifle Scopes.

Qualify for the military LEO discount? Even better......

I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy one, only letting folks know what's out what's out there.

Feature to feature it's a great deal and yes I've been around all the high end scopes and even looked through a NF beast side by side to mine yesterday am at daylight!! I've done the same with S&B', premier, March & USO including the complete NF line.

I don't care what you shoot, just don't try to convince me that a Vortex scope is equal to a Leupold.........

i dont have to try to convince you the scopes do that for themselves go to any sporting good store and compare them for less money the glass is equal if not better and my philosophy is if it costs less but outperforms the more expensive competition then its a better product

i dont have to try to convince you the scopes do that for themselves go to any sporting good store and compare them for less money the glass is equal if not better and my philosophy is if it costs less but outperforms the more expensive competition then its a better product

That's the exact same argument I heard 20 years ago........make sure in the comparison to conduct apples to apples and not apples to oranges.

I guess we're talking about different classes of optics here......the scopes I'm talking about can't be found in the average sporting goods store :)

I have compared the vortex Razor to my mk8 and it's not even close....apples to oranges. There's more to a scope than it's glass, durability, repeatability of adjustments...features like zero stop and the list goes on.

Oh, it's actually only $4,300. What a relief. I'll order one today.

Setting the Mark 8 aside for a minute, let's focus on scopes the average shooter could actually afford to buy.

Here's my opinion about Leupold vs Vortex. I don't think there is a consistent difference in resolution between a PST and either a VX-3 or Mark 4. All three model lines use simple doublet objective lenses and will have similar resolution at similar elevation settings. You might find that either on has either weakness or a sweet spot somewhere in the magnification range. Vortex offers a fair selection of reticles, and mil/mil and MOA/MOA turrets, but a limited selection of magnifications. You give up having future Custom Shop options with Vortex. That means you can't swap reticles or turrets down the line.

Vortex scopes are made offshore, which largely explains the lower cost. Consequently, Vortex scopes offer more features per buck. If you're primarily interested in shooting targets, Vortex PST scopes are a better value than comparably equipped Leupolds.

Most target shooters rarely turn the magnification down to the low end. Nor do they care much about image contrast. Those are two areas where comparable Leupold scopes outshine Vortex PSTs. Vortex PSTs have an obscured field of view when the magnification is turned down to the limit, and the elevation is adjusted to the min or max value. To avoid any obscuration the elevation adjustment loses about a half turn at each end. This can be viewed as either a design flaw, or a truth in advertising issue. To my knowledge, VX-3 or Mark 4 scopes don't have this problem, but then they don't claim a 4:1 magnification ratio either.

In hunting scenarios, the sun can be at any angle. Good stray light management is a requirement for high contrast. None of the PSTs have very good stray light management or high image contrast, especially at high magnification. I have yet to see a VX-3 or Mark 4 that has an image contrast problem. For a hunting scope, I would recommend paying the extra 25% premium for a Leupold.

I have 3 leopolds(only bought 1, the others came on rifles in deals).....I will not buy another.

jrg

Care to elaborate? What models were they? I'm running two VariX-III's on a pair of Winchester M70s. 7mm mag wears a 3.5-10x 40mm while my 300RUM sports a 4.5-14x 40mm AO. I put the one on the 7mm back in 2000, and it hasn't moved since. I think I clicked the elevation up one step a few years ago. I find the eye relief very forgiving on the rifle, and everyone who has shot it has fallen in love with the setup. Now the other scope, I haven't had to adjust the scope since I sighted it in in 2002. My one complaint against it, the eye relief is more intolerant vs the other scope, and at times drives me nuts. It has held up to a lot of ammo being shot thru this sporter weight, unbraked RUM.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.