Len & Eric's Grand (Canyon) Adventure

Len, thanks for sharing such incredible pictures. I've never been to the Grand Canyon, but its definitely on my list. It would be cool to see the wildlife and plants that grow in those areas where you wonder how some things could even thrive. Just incredible, thank you again sir. Stay healthy, stay safe.

Cool post; we have hiked all of the back country trails on the South Rim, some several times (our fav is down Hermit to Tonto, then east over to Monument Creek; overnight. Then hike over to Indian Gardens and usually overnight, but if it is just me and Ms LRNut we sometimes just hoof it up in one day; it is a bit of a long day - almost 15 miles, but we typically have one of the rim cabins reserved.

Once we did a South to North in one day; our plan was to go North to South the next day, but I had such horrible blisters I had to take the shuttle over to the South Rim. Felt like that woman in the movie "Home Alone" with John Candy's polka band; we had to stop at every Indian roadside stand.

We see quite a few deer when backpacking and sometimes sheep. One time I was hiking out from Monument Creek well before dawn and saw two eyes glowing in the dark on a ridge above us; I could tell it was a cat but not sure if it was a mountain lion or a bobcat.

My BIL rafts the Colorado quite a bit; his son (the kid at 1:17; his dad is the guy jumping into water right after that) made this video, which I just love; if you listen to the words spoken, it could describe your hunting dreams:

Grand Canyon 2018

If anyone is interested in backpacking the GC, shoot me a note. We love showing people.

Last edited:
our fav is down Hermit to Tonto, then east over to Monument Creek; overnight. Then hike over to Indian Gardens and usually overnight, but if it is just me and Ms LRNut we sometimes just hoof it up in one day; it is a bit of a long day

Just a few days ago I started researching that exact route for a trip in 2022.

I day hiked a bit of the Tonto a couple weeks ago for the first time when I did the 14 mile SK trailhead to Tonto and over to IG and up to BA trailhead.

Just a few days ago I started researching that exact route for a trip in 2022.

I day hiked a bit of the Tonto a couple weeks ago for the first time when I did the 14 mile SK trailhead to Tonto and over to IG and up to BA trailhead.
That is a good one, but kind of hard to get a permit for. We always go in December between TDay and Xmas; excellent time to hike - only issue is long nights, but I don't mind. Another good one is down New Hance, camp on the river, hit Tonto, then go up Grandview. Camp on Horseshoe Mesa, then go up the next day. That permit is pretty easy to get.

LRNut,
That New Hance to the river to Horshoe Mesa and up seems interesting. I may try that soon.
One for sure I'm doing this summer is Nevada's Ruby Crest Trail. It's Nevada's "Little Yosemite".
Eric B.

If you do that in two days at age 76, you are smoking it. Not many can do that at any age.

No, I didn't say 2 days. Haven't decided yet but more likely 2 nights at CW and 1 night at BA or IG for 4 days. Not any less.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.