Len & Eric's Grand (Canyon) Adventure

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Litehiker, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

I have to say that while that was a beautiful mule deer we saw, later deer sightings were of emaciated deer that were wasting away.

We wondered about the starving deer and were told at Phantom Ranch by some staff that the deer eat plastic bags and the bags block their intestines, keeping them from being able to digest regular forage. Very sad that people in this beautiful spot would throw trash out on the trail and cause this tragic end for wildlife.

Eric B.

2. Litehiker

I recall that my "1st day pack" with all food and water weighed in at 29 lbs. if my bathroom scales are accurate.

Eric B.

3. LaHunter

LaHunter Well-Known Member

What was the temp range during your hike? I notice you guys did your hike in early November. I have read that the temps can get extreme during the summer.

How did you work out the logistics of either getting your vehicle from your starting location, or getting dropped off there by shuttle?

Sounds like an awesome experience.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  4. Litehiker

Len contracted a shuttle service to take us from the South Rim through the Navajo res. to the North Rim.

It was 42 F. on the North Rim at 10 AM when we started so we added extra layers, but quickly warmed up as we descended. Len picked a good time to hike the Grand Canyon so we never had any temperature extremes. The last night at Indian Garden was a bit cool, in the 40s, but not cold.

Eric B.

5. LaHunter

LaHunter Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. That is something I would like to do. Looks like awesome country.