Len's Southwest Photo hiking adventure March 2022 Part 2 - Canyonlands National Park

Utah Red Rock country is amazing for sure.
It's even more stunning when one is lucky enough to have a hunting tag in it.
2014 Zion desert sheep, back when it was really good.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0092.jpeg
    845.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0263f.jpeg
    IMG_0263f.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
  • Rick Ellison Utah Desert.jpg
    Rick Ellison Utah Desert.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 43
Curious, has anyone on LRH taken their family to Moab area for vacation before and if so how did that work out?

My daughter Barbara yesterday asked me for national park ideas for their family vacation.
Live in Cedar City, so been there a few times. I prefer Natural Bridges myself. A bit higher and cooler, less crowded. Got a trip down the Bright Angel Trail and another 170 miles on the Camino de Santiago planned for next, so be another year before I get back there.

Live in Cedar City, so been there a few times. I prefer Natural Bridges myself. A bit higher and cooler, less crowded. Got a trip down the Bright Angel Trail and another 170 miles on the Camino de Santiago planned for next, so be another year before I get back there.

I am backpacking GCNP's rim2rim2rim next month but tell me about 170 miles on the Camino de Santiago and also Natural Bridges.

Canyonlands is special. If you want a next level experience float through it on the Green.
River to th e Colorado. You get access to parts of the park that you cannot possibly get to on foot. It's lottery based and kept tight on numbers. Over 8 days floating through canyonlands to Powell we saw nearly no humans as overnight sites are designated in advance and they keep the traffic light.

This is our "flotilla" during one of the numerous quiet sections and a typical camp site

56B980CC-2640-4248-AC2A-9A88CE32E0AD.jpeg
17A6CA32-73BD-40D5-8D9A-4B25AD67AE43.jpeg

In the shot below of a cairn, that's my Inreach mini that I placed next to the cairn as a prop. And i turned it on as I set it down.

While composing the shot it powered up and at one point beeped indicating some message was incoming. I looked at the screen as I snapped and it read: "I see you. :) " Kathy Backus

I had earlier sent a message to her saying "Click this link to see on a map where I am now"

Amazing coincidence that her reply came in right then.

View attachment 350195View attachment 350196View attachment 350197
Great times and great pics. Thank you for sharing.

Night Sky Photography is high on my list of things to learn next.

I exited my tent on night #2 and looked up at the sky.

It was such a dark sky that even with a 2/3 moon I could see a gazillion stars above.

This DARK SKY MAP shows where in the US to find dark skies. I live just south of Green Bay, WI on the map.

My tent was about 50 miles west and 50 miles south of Moab, UT on this DARK SKY MAP.
Night-Sky-Map.png

I am backpacking GCNP's rim2rim2rim next month but tell me about 170 miles on the Camino de Santiago and also Natural Bridges.
Len, I'm sure we are all happy to see you living the life, and enjoying this wonderful country we call home and have the freedom to explore.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos, and hike on!

Curious, has anyone on LRH taken their family to Moab area for vacation before and if so how did that work out?

My daughter Barbara yesterday asked me for national park ideas for their family vacation.
Len, I grew up across the border in Colorado. I also worked in that area as a professional biologist. It is an amazing place. Hitting the shoulder seasons is great in Fall and Spring. Mountain bikes and jeep rallys have put Moab on the map compared to the 60' and 70s. The recreational boom hit in the early 90's when I worked the area.

Next time you go, explore the LaSal mountains to the east. Amazing vistas, wildlife, and adventure. Depending on what your real interest is, there are many different areas to explore south in the Montecello and Blanding areas with Anasazi ruins ect.

Tip of an iceburg.

Len, I grew up across the border in Colorado. I also worked in that area as a professional biologist. It is an amazing place. Hitting the shoulder seasons is great in Fall and Spring. Mountain bikes and jeep rallys have put Moab on the map compared to the 60' and 70s. The recreational boom hit in the early 90's when I worked the area.

Next time you go, explore the LaSal mountains to the east. Amazing vistas, wildlife, and adventure. Depending on what your real interest is, there are many different areas to explore south in the Montecello and Blandin

LaSal is on my list for next trip.