Leica's New Geovid HD-B

gr8fuldoug

Official LRH Sponsor
cameraland_709x142_1.gif

"Leica's true Game Changing Product – the Geovid HD-B w/User Ballistic Interface"

Here it is:

#40047 8x42 Geovid HD-B w/User Ballistic Interface - $2945.00

&

#40049 10x42 Geovid HD-B w/User Ballistic Interface - $2995.00

40049-1.jpg

40049-2.jpg

40049-3.jpg

This new Geovid HD-B model features class-leading ranging capabilities and field of view, fully functioning ballistics capabilities utilizing the patented Advanced Ballistic Compansation (ABC) technologies featured in the popular CRF 1600-B, and the unique ability to program customized bullet & caliber ballistic data for the most precise holdover readings possible.

The Geovid HD-B also features vastly improved optical performance utilizing our exciting new Perger Porro prism system. The new Geovid HD-B transmits more light and offers an amazingly, wide field of view (10x = 374' @ 1,000 yards). This means these are more effective than ever for scanning the horizon for hidden game. The rangefinding abilities are improved as well, and the new Geovid HD-B can effectively range out to 2,000 yards - the longest ranging capabilities in class.

You'll also find great comfort in the clever, curved, ergonomic chassis that rests perfectly in the palms of the hands for superior grip, comfort, & stability.

The Geovid HD-B offers the Widest field of view of any rangefinding binocular, Ranges further than other rangefinding binoculars, and is the only model to offer full ballistics holdover calculations AND angular ballistic computations.

As with past popular Geovid models the new HD-B of course delivers lightning fast line of sight distance readings using the most sophisticated micro-processing available. However, by adding Leica's patented ABC system you now have an amazingly, versatile tool that allows you to choose between three different point-of-impact corrections. For shooters utilizing standard plex or similar reticles the ABC system can offer line of sight distance with holdover corrections in inches or centimeters. Shooters with standard turret adjustments can get additional point of impact corrections in "clicks" in either ¼ M.O.A. or mil radian. And finally shooters may choose to receive a calculated Equivalent Horizontal Range (EHR) for those utilizing custom turrets manufactured specifically for their rifle & cartridge combination.

In all cases the ABC system accounts for air temperature, absolute air pressure, and angle of incline when making the calculations. Where holdover is being provided the sophisticated processing system also considers the specific ballistic characteristics of your cartridge & rifle combination.

The Leica Geovid HD-B and the ABC system provide one of the most comprehensive selections of pre-programmed ballistic curves in the industry. With12 available options to choose from, every shooter is bound to find a curve that closely matches the ballistic performance of their cartridge.

Additionally, the Geovid HD-B features another amazing and wholly revolutionary function that allows shooters to take this even a step further. Using the Leica online ballistic calculator and use of a micro-SD card slot conveniently located in the waterproof battery compartment, each user can upload their exact ballistics information into the Geovid HD-B. After entering their ballistic data onto the card, all one has to do is simply insert the loaded micro-SD card (included with each Geovid HD-B) into the card slot and the Geovid does the rest. With the micro-SD card inserted the Geovid HD-B's intelligent features automatically use the ballistic information on the card by default, with no additional programming or feature selections necessary. For shooters with multiple weapons you can carry different cards for each weapon being used and simply insert the card that matches the specific hunter's rifle & cartridge combination. This customized approach allows for greater accuracy to further distances, due to the precise nature of the ballistics data.

Are these going to be ready to ship or are they going to make us wait a few months before we ever see them? Also I'm wanting to hear your initial impressions on this bino! Is this an immediate slam dunk or are they still fine tuning the software and stuff? Something this electronically involved scares me a bit especially with the long wait and initial problems that came with the Swaro EL Range binos. I love Leica and can't wait to hear about these and draw my own conclusions as well! Anything else coming from them new this year?

Mac

These are some sweet looking binos can't wait for some reviews on the lazer and the ballistic program.

Did a really quick check on the leica ballistic program vs. Shooter (on android) & Nightforce Ballistic Software for PC (aka Exbal) at sea level and at 1000 yards all 3 programs were within a few inches of each other. I have never had an issue with either one of these programs within 800 yards, on a paper plate first shot. Provided the binos adjust for elevation and other environmental factors correctly they should work very well for elevation adjustments. I do hope they show the line of sight range as well though so that a correct wind adjustment can be made (don't want to be off by 5-7 inches in the steep canyons). Think I am going to buy a pair but worried about getting the first run in case anything weird goes on.

How do you think this would rate against Gunwerks BR2..I shoot a custom rifle with handloads..sounds like it does pretty much the same thing.. plus the Quality binocular part...gun)

Yeah I noticed that...Now this thing will give ya the exact shoot to range on a major incline...dialed with MY ballistic specs. I shoot both ,a ballistic turret and Moa..on my nightforce...marked in one altitude..thus the luxury of the BR2 not having to change turrets..If this will do the same I am definately in....LOVE LEICAgun)

Basically no. G7 (Gunwerks) was contracted by Leica to develop and host the Leica ballistics program to address the specific requirements and features of the Geovid HD-B.

"Basically no. G7 (Gunwerks) was contracted by Leica to develop and host the Leica ballistics program to address the specific requirements and features of the Geovid HD-B."

Could you go through the differences between the 2. Just ran the 308 w/ 175 sierra matchking @ 2600. Got these figures for drops at 1000 yards. G7 (Gunwerks): -390.2" Leica: -391.2" & Exbal -389.7". Had to run it at sea level since I don't have a Leica Geovid HD-B in front of me to auto adjust to 4100 ft. Obviously there is something that I am missing on the functionality besides my ealier concern if the Leica showed a line of sight reading for windage & not being able to adjust sight height (should only change point of impact by few inches at 1000 yards, but this is very easy to account for). I know the Leica is going to auto correct for elevation which is a huge factor in missed shots if hunting in an area with changing elevations (about 10" per 1000 ft @ 1000 yards for a 308).

Last edited:
I am sorry, I am not techno knowledgable enough to address your question correctly. Sometimes I just do not have the answer.

Can anyone here assist?

Could you go through the differences between the 2. Just ran the 308 w/ 175 sierra matchking @ 2600. Got these figures for drops at 1000 yards. G7 (Gunwerks): -390.2" Leica: -391.2" & Exbal -389.7". Had to run it at sea level since I don't have a Leica Geovid HD-B in front of me to auto adjust to 4100 ft. Obviously there is something that I am missing on the functionality besides my ealier concern if the Leica showed a line of sight reading for windage & not being able to adjust sight height (should only change point of impact by few inches at 1000 yards, but this is very easy to account for). I know the Leica is going to auto correct for elevation which is a huge factor in missed shots if hunting in an area with changing elevations (about 10" per 1000 ft @ 1000 yards for a 308).

I don't think the inch is going to make a difference at all.
I do think that you're better off to just use the bino's as a range finder for shooting past 6-700 or so because with nightforce, gun werks and atrag you have the ability to true your drop and get better solutions that are more tailored to your rifle. I use the kestrel with atrag and it has the option of inputting different muzzle velocity at different temperatures which is something that needs to be accounted for at longer ranges.

Good question though about the line of sight for windage holds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.