Leica's New Geovid HD-B

Its interesting that G7 is involved in this. it would appear to me that in many ways the new geovid replaces the G7 rangefinder, however what I can't confirm is if the new geovid takes instant temp, altitude and baro readings OR if these are fixed values inputted into the SD card when you set that up with you other ballisctics info and if essentially the shooting angle is the only instant measurement that deviates from your fixed ballistic calculations.

the G7 RF calculates all factors and will spit out a number called a shoot to distance. this is of course after being programed with your base ballistic values. Its actually a really clever setup once properly setup. one that I think could be marketed in alot more uses than just hunting. I guess what I really want to know is how does the functions of the new geovid differ from that of the G7 rangefinder.

Thanks for the reply .284, was worried that the 1 inch may become 10 inch at higher elevations. I had an app on my smartphone that worked ok till I used it with a rifle that had a slower velocity and at higher elevations. Luckily the misses were just on paper. Think your advice on using them less than 600 yards is a good idea. At least till extensive testing can be done.

The Line of Sight thing is driving me crazing. Tried contacting Leica about it and I think something got lost in the translation. Oh well going to try again.

Found this cummins cowboy: ballistic program on Leica's website says altitude (via actual air pressure), angle, and temp are "measured in your Geovid HD-B"

Last edited:
Provided the binos adjust for elevation and other environmental factors correctly they should work very well for elevation adjustments. I do hope they show the line of sight range as well though so that a correct wind adjustment can be made (don't want to be off by 5-7 inches in the steep canyons)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding him the same as Leica.
We see line of sight through these binocs, it provides line of sight range, as all LRFs do.
If he's talking about slant range distance, that's another matter, and wind does not follow this but is instead tied to line of sight distance.

Maybe he's asking if it provides both ranges, and if so that's all he should ask Leica about it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding him the same as Leica.
We see line of sight through these binocs, it provides line of sight range, as all LRFs do.
If he's talking about slant range distance, that's another matter, and wind does not follow this but is instead tied to line of sight distance.

Maybe he's asking if it provides both ranges, and if so that's all he should ask Leica about it.

Yep I am asking if it provides "both ranges". Leica got confused and thought I was asking about if it provided MOA in clicks and inches for hold over. Tried to explain it a different way and they got confused and thought I was talking about it working with both BDC dials and reticles. Maybe I am not explaining in terms they are used to hearing? Looks like I confused you by using different terminology. I normally just talk with a smaller group of hunters, benchrest shooters, and servicemen all from northern AZ & we always talk about it this way (kind of new to the LRH forum so not sure how most people on here say it).

Maybe you could get an answer from Leica by describing it different and let us know what they say, I am not having much luck yet

Cabelas has these for 10% back in club points until 3/31.
I'm like everyone else I would like things explained better and clearer before
I decide to purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.