Lefty with a RH Long Action

7mmShooter

Hey guys, have any of you Lefty's had issues cycling a RH long action while staying positioned and full view of the scope? I'm looking at getting a 783 in long action but they don't make it left handed. I can't cycle a right handed long action without smacking the bolt handle smacking me in the nose (confirmed with right hand 700s and Savage, 70* throw are fine no issues at all). Would a length of pull increase be a suitable fix? I'm looking at getting either a 783 in 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag (possibly 300WM) or going with a Ruger American in the same calibers, I just hate the skinny barrel on the American (puts the kibosh on my plan to put a Muscle Brake on whichever caliber I get:D)

I've been looking at the American Predator as it already comes threaded, but the only one I have components for is the .243. Wouldn't likely need a brake, and getting a rear bag would take care of the muzzle rize issues if even present (my 7mm Mag goes up and to the right about 4-5 feet).

I'll likely have about $700 to play with, so I'm thinking rifle, rear bag, maybe the brake, and spend the rest on loading ammo to practice with it... What do you guys think? Any and all input/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great weekend!

If you are Left Handed as I am then get a Left handed rifle.
All my rifles are Left Handed. It is not to hard to find what you want or with Savages you can swap barrels easily. Don't settle for a RH action when you can have a Left Hand Action.

True, just sucks that 99% of manufacturer's higher end models are not made in left hand. Found a Model 12 left handed which would be perfect except for the fact it's in .204 Ruger lol

True, just sucks that 99% of manufacturer's higher end models are not made in left hand. Found a Model 12 left handed which would be perfect except for the fact it's in .204 Ruger lol

I agree with the first sentence of your post. I just went through this myself. If they don't make what you want your two options are to compromise or build something you want. I'm just tired of compromise, sold a great .300WM and probably gonna sell my sporterized 1903 Springfield. I have a .300 barrel and probably gonna get a used lefty Savage and make it into what I want.
Now with a rifle I'm gonna shoot prone I don't mind a right hand bolt gun, especially if it's a single loader. Actually seems easier to me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I agree with the first sentence of your post. I just went through this myself. If they don't make what you want your two options are to compromise or build something you want. I'm just tired of compromise, sold a great .300WM and probably gonna sell my sporterized 1903 Springfield. I have a .300 barrel and probably gonna get a used lefty Savage and make it into what I want.
Now with a rifle I'm gonna shoot prone I don't mind a right hand bolt gun, especially if it's a single loader. Actually seems easier to me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks Bravo 4, and you are correct. I also find it easier to shoot a rh bolt prone, which is all I ever really shoot anyway (in the past 4 years I think I've only shot my rifle offhand once lol)

I'm actually looking at either the American Predator, or the American Magnum (which being so new aren't easy to find...) 70* throw (no problems cycling like I have with 90*s) and they both come factory threaded which saves me about $140. The Predator I'd get in .243 no need for a brake I'm thinking, but the Magnum would definitely be getting a Mini Magnum Muscle Brake...

Another option I've looked at would be a left hand thumbhole stock on a righty action, that way you can manipulate the bolt right hand and not have to reach over when off hand or do some funky switch hand thing to work the bolt. I'm sure the weight and balance of the rifle could be a henderance, and thumbhole stocks might not fit you.
I have a 18" barreled Marlin .308 that I though about trying this out on.

Like this one:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    12.5 KB · Views: 15
Like this one:

Yeah, that's not a problem If I need to cycle it offhand I just hold the grip with left, cycle with right. It's the length of the rearward bolt travel in relation to my face that's the problem. If I stay shouldered and in the scope, the bolt can't come all the way back without whacking me in the nose. That's why I asked about lengthening the lop (tried a 14.5" lop and it worked fine.) Its only an issue on 90* throw Long Actions (so everything except Tikka, Sako, AI, and the Ruger American basically.)

That is a nice stock for sure, just not my style really as I never wrap my thumb around the rifle.

I don't care for wrapping my thumb around either, a thumbhole is a different animal. Best I can say is to try one out, I had one a while back and it was really comfortable to hold. My hand just naturally laid right in it.
As for LOP; absolutely, if the bolt is whacking you in the face then extend it out! Whether right or left handed.
Fit the rifle, then fit the scope.

Yeah, its like 1/2 maybe 3/4" between where it hits and where it needs to come back to to hit the bolt stop. It would definitely help to be able to just get a remington 783 right hand and extend the lop, my local gander mountain has them for 230 after the rebate....:Dgun)

7mm, perhaps you could call Boyd's stocks. They have a variety of stocks offered in left hand/righty action and for $25 will make an extended LOP up to 14 3/4". A large lefty friend bought one with extended LOP for and really likes it. Good luck

7mm, perhaps you could call Boyd's stocks. They have a variety of stocks offered in left hand/righty action and for $25 will make an extended LOP up to 14 3/4". A large lefty friend bought one with extended LOP for and really likes it. Good luck

Yeah thanks Dosh, I've looked at them and may go that route:D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.