Left-Handed Rifles??????

muleyslayer52

Okay. To start off with I am a newbie when it comes to long range shooting (500+ yards). I am looking into a new rifle setup for the hunting ranges of 500-800 yards. I have been researching a lot of rifles and what I want. Here is the main problem. I am LEFT-HANDED so I am limited on what I can get.

Basically what I have found is that I have to go custom or build my own rifle. I don't know where to start. There are too many options.

I was wanting a Sako A7 (love the Sako action) but there are no left-handed models.

What I want is 300 RUM. I want a hybrid type platform (heavy barrel bench rifle/lightweight sporting rifle)

I do reload my own ammo so sub MOA is a possibility.

I already know what optics I am going to put on it. Just need the gun.

I forgot to mention that my budget is about $2000-$3,000

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
I would look at tikka. You could "almost" have the sako. You definitely could get rifle, purchase custom barrel and smith fees within budget. I know a lot of guys buying 300 w s m and tricking them out, lots of upgrades for tikka now. Most do not miss there rums

I would look at tikka. You could "almost" have the sako. You definitely could get rifle, purchase custom barrel and smith fees within budget. I know a lot of guys buying 300 w s m and tricking them out, lots of upgrades for tikka now. Most do not miss there rums

I dont like the port openings on tikkas. Plus good luck finding a lefty tikka

I am stuck on having a 300 RUM.

There are probably more Remington 700 LH Long Actions in circulation than any other and a good supply of high quality aftermarket stocks etc.

You might even be able to find a LH Sendero 300 Rum if you do some looking on sites like Gunbroker.

Stick one of those in a nice McMillan or Manners LH Hunter and you'd be in business.

Mario's suggestion on the weatherby is a good one as well

Built a few lefthanded Remingtons. This one is my 7mm Remington, twisted 8.5. It shoots a very high bc 180 Scenar and the Berger 168 Hybrid very well. Those at 2860 fps and 3040 fps respectively. Upsides, low recoil, 25" barrel, light weight, etc. Lot of 300 RUM barreled actions around and lot with low round counts. Buy one of those and restock it.

And this one is a 223ai, just posting it for giggles. That mtn contour barrel is stacking 75 amax very well. Tough to find lefty 223 bolts.

Remington 700LH.
My 300WM Sendero started life as a 700LSS LH.

I've found that many of the persons that talk highly about the WSM used to own, and/or shoot a RUM, but don't anymore: that says a lot to me. lightbulb

I read the article that the developer of the 300 and 338 RUM wrote a few years ago: he all but said it those 2 were a powder burning waste of time.

I recommend reconsidering the 300WSM if you want a hotrod.
I personally am glad the RUM family was introduced:specifically the 300.
My 300WM uses 300RUM magazines for loading the longer rocks.

I don't know if they are a sponsor here, but I considered buying a Red Hawk,( I hope I didnt step out of line), 700LH before stumbling onto the one I now own on GB.com.

Stay Safe

For a $3k budget I'd save a bit more and call GA Precision or buy one of the rifles here on this site from Len. Here's the deal: you'll end up chasing accuracy and do it sometime in the future anyway! Buy once, cry once.

I have a Remington 700 7mm rem mag, that started its life as a 270. I had it blue printed, and a krieger 1:9 twist 28" sendero contour barrel. I had a break installed, and bought a B&C tactical stock from my smith for a steal. It was right handed so I had to do some work to it but it works great. I had it hydrodipped to make it look sweet, then glass bedded it. This gun is a tack driver and really since I did some of the work it only cost me about $1700. How does it shoot? I can shoot one hole groups at 100 yards and have shot one hole groups at 200 yards. I also have taken it to 1500 yards with no problem. I consistently make 1000 yard cold bore hits on milk jugs. This thing can shoot!!! The trick to managing cost is buying all of the components yourself, and taking it to a capable smith. Usually the high price of buying guns from Len or GA precision is first they use a custom action which adds at leas $500 dollars, if not more, to your cost. Then after that they have to buy the components and take the risk of them sitting on their shelf for a while which adds to the price. If you have all of your own components all you are paying for is the smith's labor, and can get a shooter for reasonable.

By shopping i could build a sendero nearly as much as a factory. i am right handed . 400$ blued action; 318$ barrel + 95$ flutes; 150$ chamber and thread; $ 200 h and s stock..............1300 . it would out shoot the factory ones. i have some of both.

I am in the middle of a Left handed 260rem and here is my approach

Rem lh700 sps Varmint - $590
Douglas 6.5 1/8 sendaro barrel $220
H-S Precision LH stock $320
Timminey Trigger $130
Chamber , head space and finish $150

Grand total $1410

I have a 300wm that is a shooter and have had a 338 rum that was a shooter and to be shooting those rifles gets old real quick . lightbulb I only shoot at a hand full of animals a year but I shoot 3-500 rounds a year at steel , paper and various varmint's of opportunity and their is noooooooo way I want to shoot my 300 that much , they do not sell enough Advil for that not to mention that 90 something grains of powder that you are burning .
If you are only going to have one rifle I would suggest splitting the difference with a 270wsm, 7mm wsm, 7mm rem mag , or 300 wsm.

If you have a less powerful rifle already that will suit your needs for trigger time then buy all means build that LR sledge hammer.

I am in the middle of a Left handed 260rem and here is my approach

Rem lh700 sps Varmint - $590
Douglas 6.5 1/8 sendaro barrel $220
H-S Precision LH stock $320
Timminey Trigger $130
Chamber , head space and finish $150

Grand total $1410

I have a 300wm that is a shooter and have had a 338 rum that was a shooter and to be shooting those rifles gets old real quick . lightbulb I only shoot at a hand full of animals a year but I shoot 3-500 rounds a year at steel , paper and various varmint's of opportunity and their is noooooooo way I want to shoot my 300 that much , they do not sell enough Advil for that not to mention that 90 something grains of powder that you are burning .
If you are only going to have one rifle I would suggest splitting the difference with a 270wsm, 7mm wsm, 7mm rem mag , or 300 wsm.

If you have a less powerful rifle already that will suit your needs for trigger time then buy all means build that LR sledge hammer.

Where is the like button? ;)

My 260 build is going as follows;
1) 700LH VSF 22-250
2) Timney is already installed
3) Hawk Hill 1:8 Sendero Contour
4) Badger Ord Bottom Metal
5) Badger Ord Mini Tac Bolt Knob
6) Badger Ord 20MOA rail
7) Cerakote
Haven't decided if we are bedding the stock, or if we will be getting another stock: I'm tempted to try the new Magpul if LH is makeable. (new word)

There are probably more Remington 700 LH Long Actions in circulation than any other and a good supply of high quality aftermarket stocks etc.

You might even be able to find a LH Sendero 300 Rum if you do some looking on sites like Gunbroker.

Stick one of those in a nice McMillan or Manners LH Hunter and you'd be in business.

Mario's suggestion on the weatherby is a good one as well

This is great advice. I'd look for a Rem or Tikka. I had a 7mm wby lefty and wasn't too impressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.