Help with Right handed / left eye dominant teen shooter

Tons of good info here and opinions. I'm a right hand left eye dominant shooter. One simple suggestion that may have been previously mentioned: get a BB gun and practice with it shooting left handed. I even had one we took the sites off of to learn just looking down the barrel. Just an idea that worked at least once I know of!! Price on ammo/reloading is good for the crazy times too.

Tons of good info here and opinions. I'm a right hand left eye dominant shooter. One simple suggestion that may have been previously mentioned: get a BB gun and practice with it shooting left handed. I even had one we took the sites off of to learn just looking down the barrel. Just an idea that worked at least once I know of!! Price on ammo/reloading is good for the crazy times too.
Put a small target on the bedroom wall and prop the gun on your knee and focus on the front sight until you're eye jumps on it instantly . I am right eye dominant and left handed but I shoot a rifle right hand with both eyes open and can shoot a pistol right or left handed.if I focus on the tape on the wall three nights in a row before a match I usually shoot better and you can't shoot a air pistol and rifle enough best bang for the buck

Did not read all 174 posts. Have taught many to shoot and been a shooting caoch for many years, including competitve shooters. Learn to shoot using your doninate eye, full stop. Put together the fitness and practice program to teach your body to do that comfortably because shooting form is also critically important to good shooting, especially at longer distances. The very best practice is shooting PD dogs or gophers from 300 yards out with CF or from 75 to 250 with a 22 and 17 HMR. That high volume shooting at small targets, various distances and wind conditions cannot be even closely matched shooting paper on a range.

Did not read all 174 posts. Have taught many to shoot and been a shooting caoch for many years, including competitve shooters. Learn to shoot using your doninate eye, full stop. Put together the fitness and practice program to teach your body to do that comfortably because shooting form is also critically important to good shooting, especially at longer distances. The very best practice is shooting PD dogs or gophers from 300 yards out with CF or from 75 to 250 with a 22 and 17 HMR. That high volume shooting at small targets, various distances and wind conditions cannot be even closely matched shooting paper on a range.
Good advise. There is no valid reason to teach a beginning shooter not to use their dominate eye. When it gets dicey is when a person ages and eye dominance changes. Happens pretty often in your late 40's and 50's. One eye becomes less and less dominate over the other. Then they are in a pickle even figuring out why they miss sometimes. Eye dominance can change with angles, especially on fast moving targets. Not a big deal with a scoped rifle, or a handgun usually if you shoot both eyes open with a red dot, but it will give you fits in Archery and with a shotgun. Magic dots are just that. Magic in this instance.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.