Left handed help

jwdunn

Hello, I'm brand new to this web-forum, and have really enjoyed reading the threads and opinions on long-range rifles and shooting. I particularly found the 1st time custom builds and budget builds very informative. However, being left-handed a lot of information isn't useful to me, unless I'm going to break the bank. Being a novice/newbie and on a budget, I'd like to get opinions (or even links) for a lefty's 1st budget long-range (400-800 yards) rifle build. Feel free to include stock, action, caliber, barrel, optics, etc. information. (FYI - primarily a white-tail, coyote, and target shooter.) Thanks....

Well, being a lefty your options are limited as you know. One of thing that I like about savage is they do cater to left handers and for the money, you simply cannot beat them plus they are very accurate. Give savage a serious look.

Randy

I'm in precisely the same boat as you except that I'm looking for a little more long range performance prairie dog rifle.

You didn't mention a caliber. I've been looking at .243 and found either the savage 10 predator hunter, 16 weather warrior both with accustock or the 14 american classic. Remington has the CDL or a bunch or SPS variants.

I've heard bad things about the SPS stocks and new triggers that come on the lower end Remingtons. I don't know how much of that is true.

The Savage's seem to be pretty highly regarded, but I wonder whether their stocks are throw away, too.

Here are a couple of my LH Savages.

In the front is my 300wsm Krieger barreled 116FLHSS converted to DBM. Not including optics I have less than $600 in this rifle.

In the back is my 32" fluted 338 Edge 110 long/short action siting in a Stockade Pdog Special stock. Not including optics I have less than $1000 in this rifle.

You can make a fairly complete custom rifle with a Savage for fairly cheap since you don't have to pay a smith to do the work.

S8001800.jpg

I think the Savages offer a great deal in accuracy out of the box and are easily upgraded in do it yourself after market pieces. If you are interested in the I would suggest registering on Savage Shooters . Com and asking some of your questions there of the lefties. On stock options, triggers, barrels and such. even wich model to start with to build off. Good luck.

I'm pretty much a newbie on here too, and I'm also left handed, but I actually prefer right handed bolt action rifles. Does this make me weird???

I'm pretty much a newbie on here too, and I'm also left handed, but I actually prefer right handed bolt action rifles. Does this make me weird???

Just guessing, but it probably makes you right eye dominant. It's not that difficult to learn to work a bolt. It's a pain to use the wrong eye to see the target.

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. I've been reading more on Savage, seeing a lot of good things about them. They seem to offer the most left-handed options. Also been studying Tikka T3 and the new T/C Dimension, both have flexibility for a lefty. Any thoughts on the later two?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a information sponge, just soaking it up...:)

No, I'm left eyed dominate. I look through the scope with my left eye and hold the rifle left handed. I just prefer a right handed bolt. Doesn't anyone else do this?

I am right handed, left eye dominent. I shoot left handed rifle and shotgun but preferr pistol right handed. Now I'd say I'm a little strange lol.

I have both right and left handed bolt rifles... personally I would always go with a left handed bolt for any rifle I plan on haveing quick shots with (faster at running the bolt). As for a bench rifle.. not much difference. one think to keep in mind is that if your pushing the envelope, the left handed rifle will have the gas port on the right side-- pushing excess gass away from your face if there is a case failure.

There is some advantageto shooting bench w/ a right ported rifle for loading single shot.

As for tikka, they are excellent rifles out of the box, but harder to build on after the fact.

No, I'm left eyed dominate. I look through the scope with my left eye and hold the rifle left handed. I just prefer a right handed bolt. Doesn't anyone else do this?

Used to when I was using my grandfather's rifles. Never went back after being able to afford my first left handed rifle.

It took some time to get used to not dropping the rifle to work the bolt.

My wife is the same way. Right handed. Left eye dominate. Prefers to shoot left handed with a right hand rifle.

I am left handed and left eye dominant. I started hunting using my older brother's right handed guns. Once I got my first left handed gun, I will never go back. Go with savage you won't be disappointed. I'm now the proud owner of five different savage rifles its nice to have a company cater to lefties.

p.s. the rifle in my signature is right handed savage 112BT but its the only right handed one i own.

I am left handed too and have an ongoing love affair with my savage rifles. I love Remmys to but got tired of trying to find someone who could get one in that was left handed. As far as stocks go I have replaced the stock on two of my savages with the Choate tactical stock and like them very well for the money. There are also alot of options if you go with a custom stock but for under $200 i like the Choate.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.