Left Handed and found a Rem. 700 in .270, what can I rebarrel it to without changing the action

Re: Left Handed and found a Rem. 700 in .270, what can I rebarrel it to without changing the ac

Any of the mauser, 308, or '06 based cartridges will work fine in your lh m700 in 270.

If you want harder hitting a 35 whelen or 338-06ai may be up your alley.

If you want fast and a good deer killer, a variant of the 6.5-06 or the 25-06 will work well.

For anything up to mid range elk, I'd take a hard look at the 280 or 280ai, and if you don't like what you see, look again. They are both great at what they do. My brother is a die hard 280 guy and has one of each.

Jerry is correct that the 270 has a lot going for it also... I have two rifles in 270 at present and I concur.

The biggest thing you are looking for is a .473" base on the cartridge.

I have the same conundrum as you at present; I found a lh lss m700 in '06 a while back for a song but have little interest in the '06 since I already have a browning lh ss in 300win and a m700lh bdl in 300rum. Time will tell what she becomes, but at present the rifle is doing well with a load I shot in the '06 I had in high school 20 years ago. Go figure.

Thanks for the great advice and for being a lefty too! :) I just am not interested in the .270 so still want to change it up. I appreciate you giving me the base diameter to look for as well. Thanks again for the help

Re: Left Handed and found a Rem. 700 in .270, what can I rebarrel it to without changing the ac

I would also like to thank for your service to our country.
You do not reload, you need lite weight gun , low recoil, for deer hunting and target shooting. I would say 243 would be perfect.

Thank you for your service seems such a feeble thing to say but I do and I respect your contribution to my life. This is such a different world than the Vietnam time where so much disrespect was leveled on our men in uniform.

Now on to your new project....

You did the exactly right thing to get that LH Remington 700. All the things you need and want start there.

Rebarreling: not an issue. Standard stuff and within the skills of any professional gun smith.

Stock: this would have been difficult in the way back time. Now, Boyd's and Stocky's have enough options to make your head spin. You might consider a thumb hole so that your strong had can provide more support.

Barrel brand: More options than the stocks. If your smith likes one go with it. If this is a little bit more DIY then Benchmark, a sponsor here is excellent. You might even get in on the group purchase.

Barrel profile: I would stick with a #3 profile or a #4 fluted to keep the weight off.

Muzzle brake: yup, they really cut down on recoil. I would get one regardless of caliber.

Caliber: IIWM it would be 264/6.5mm. It will go 1000 yards and take the game in your range.

Chambering: Not really so challenging.

If you don't reload: 6.5x47Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington or the 6.5-284 Norma but the most factory loads will be for the 260 Remington.

If you do reload or want to learn, OMG the sky's the limit on what you can do. IIWM 6.5-284 Norma.

I will boil it down to something more simple though. Set a budget. Purchase the barrel and stock that fits that budget and send or take it to a smith to do the final work.

To answer your question about the 25-06..... Yes it's a great choice. It's fast and flat. Factory ammo is readily available, and it kills deer like lightening. Recoil is still on the manageable side of things. I've owned several 25-06's. My current one is a Left Handed Browning X Bolt.

Caliber: IIWM it would be 264/6.5mm. It will go 1000 yards and take the game in your range.

If you do reload or want to learn, OMG the sky's the limit on what you can do. IIWM 6.5-284 Norma.

Excellent advice Fred, I concur that for what the OP is looking for, the 6.5x284 is a clear winner. Fast, flat shooting, low recoil & factory ammo; all in a standard bolt face long action. (I can't believe I didn't think of that.)

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

t

Thanks again fellas. I think I am down to either one of the 6.5's or the 25-06. Lots to think about. I appreciate all the help.

Hi the 280AI is a very good choice. Put a sako extractor on the bolt. Use a 5.5 contour barrel. SS Broughton barrel finished length 28". this will put the weight on the end of the barrel. Mcmillian stocks or very hard to come by since Mcmillian was sold. A brown precision fiberglass and a aluminum bedding varmit channel stock. Timmey trigger. If weight is a problem go to a #4 contour barrel or have the 5.5 contour lightened. Use the absolute best optics u can afford. U can not shoot what u can not see. Thank U bulleyesgun)

Being Left handed I feel your pain. The fact is a 270 is going to be hard to beat.
A 270 AI is an improvement and easy to load for. Below your post is one on 270 for long range here is a link. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/long-range-270-winchester-success-151761/

read that before you change calibers. There are several good long range bullets coming on the market for the .270. Enjoy the journey. gun)
Thank you for your service to our great country!
Henry

You can't go wrong going up to a 30-06. It has a wide range for bullet selection in factory ammo and can easily be reloaded too. If recoil is a factor I believe there is reduced recoil ammo available. The 30-06 is a proven Deer killer.

I hear excellent reviews about the 280 and 280 AI too.

Don

J E, thanks for the bolt face diameter link it was helpful too. I am worried with the .280 or .280AI that the recoil will be too much with my injuries? Also I can't carry a heavy rifle for any distance either due to my spine injuries, but I still can shoot and do whenever I feel good! I would love to have a lightweight rifle I can use for hunts that take me out far enough to have to camp for a few days etc. Any thoughts on something like that? I also don't reload at this point so would have to be something factory with a good barrel life for now, untl I get a little more stable injury wise and can set everything up. Thanks again for the help.

You are welcome.

One reason I recommended the 280 Rem or the AI version was because of the ease of using it in your rifle without any changes to the action.

Next would be the bullet choices for the .284 and the ballistics of the 7mm bullets.

As far as recoil, I did some calculations and based on the performance of the Assassin muzzle brake
the tuned version would reduce the recoil of a 280 Rem from a healthy 22.9 ft/lbs of recoil, to 7.9 ft/lbs with a 130 grain bullet @ 3100 ft/sec, and 8.6 ft/lbs with a 140 grain bullet @ 3000 ft/sec. that would be a 65.3% reduction in recoil in a 7 pound rifle.(That is almost identical recoil to factory 22/250 loaded with a 55 grain bullets at 3700 ft/sec).

Factory ammo is fairly easy to find and inexpensive. Set up properly, factory 280 ammo can be used in the AI version and fire formed if you reload.

So recoil is not an issue if you use a good muzzle brake.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.