LEE dies ?

I feel the Deluxe rifle set is the best value out there. The collet dies are the best way to neck size in my opinion.

I have used the standard rifle die sets and their carbide pistol die sets and though they are capable of loading decent ammo I think they are an inferior product to use. They do not have an actual locking ring to maintain proper adjustment in the press and they tend to rust easily in the interior surfaces when not used regularly. I will not buy any more Lee Precision dies as life is too short not to go first class.

I use the collet neck sizer and then seat with a Redding Comp seater. While setting up the neck sizer I have a mark on the press with a revolution count written next to it. I think it is 16 turns, that gives me consistant neck tension. I coat mine with a rust preventative after each use,

When I neck size with the Lee collet dies I run the locking ring all the way down and then run the die down tight in the press. I then neck size by exerting approx 20 lbs of pressure at the handle and rotate the cartridge between 90 and 180 degrees and again exert approx 25 lbs pressure on the handle.

I set the dies down as far as possible so the press cannot cam over which can exert excessive force on the case and deform the shoulder. The handle stays near parallel (approx 45 Degrees) at the end of the stroke and this controls the force on the case and gives me better feel. The most important thing with the collet dies is make sure the inside of the necks are cleaned. Unlike the expander ball the mandre is stationary in the case and cannot clear carbon ect from the inside of the neck during sizinng.

Assuming you mean standard rifle & pistol die sets, I have tested many sets and found that, on average, there is no detectable difference in the ammo made from any dies, based on brand. So, devoted personal opinions aside, all of our 7/8"-14 dies are made to SAAMI standards, no more, no less.

That said, there are indeed "differences" in features between different brands/designs but which feature the user values most varies with the individual.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.