Lee Dies

sniperjwt

Just got a new set of Lee dies and it is quiet interesting. This is the only set of dies that gives you a guarantee that i have seen. It says that these dies will load more accurate ammunition than any other brand of equipment or your money will be refunded. It also goes on to say Cases last 10 times longer- no case lube required.

So here is my question. How can you make that kind of guarantee and also say cases last 10 times longer? I might can see the no case lube required but the rest of it has really puzzled me. Anybody got any of these dies since they have been giving this kind of guarantee and if so how do you like them?

Thanks

I have used Lee dies in the past, and yes they load decent ammo, but they are a PITA to use with the rubberband stop on the lockring. I will buy no more Lee equipment because I don't believe it is a good value. I think of my reloading equipment with the same mindset of a mechanic with his tools, and I don't want to use inferior tools. BTW, if you have an issue with RCBS or Redding dies they will always back their products. I have one set of Lee dies that I haven't replaced, and though I don't like them I don't load very much for this cartridge and have been reluctant to spend the bucks for a decent set of dies.

I love the lee collet dies. No sizing lube required for their necksizer. I have RCBS, REDDING, and LEE DIES so it is not a "brand" thing. I have a lee collet neck sizer for EACH of my rifle calibers. These are NOT 100+plus Match Dies, but, they perform well, and no resizing lube is needed (FOR THE NECK SIZING COLLET DIE). Just my two cents. rc

For the money, the Lee dies are definitely a good value. They get a bad rap though, and I don't see why, if you use them properly, they do like they say. I have used the collet neck die for several years with excellent concentricity, getting as many as 35 reloads. I recommend you clean the mandrel frequently. I have made thousands of quality rounds for my rifle that has given me excellent accuracy over the years. I find Lee dies make it hard to switch unless you start moving up to a competetive level (and when you want to start playing with neck tension), but even then I think they are a good method. :)

You touch on several points and one poster puts a personal taste thing into it. Okay, one thing at a time.

The accuracy guarantee has been on the Lee collet neck sizer die for maybe twenty years. Don't think they have had to pay off on it much.

Accuracy is dependant on a lot of things, some of them quite difficult for many to fully appreciate. One is a straight case neck with a proper inner neck diameter for concentric seating. Many people think a high "neck tension" is a good thing; it is not. I prefer the Lee collet neck die for both straight necks AND the correct neck diameter for factory rifles above any bushing type sizer and have the concenticity gage to demonstrate the difference.

That neck die has a moving part so it isn't the same, simple minded "push the case in, pull the case out" as others. Thus, it has a learning curve and a bit of mechanical apptitude helps. You have to develop a feel for it but it's worth the effort to learn to use correctly. It doesn't need case lube because there is no sliding case-to-die contact but don't try to use your FL die without lube or you will have one hard stuck case.

How many reloads you can get with it varies a lot by the actual diameter of your chamber neck, if it's tight you can get a lot or reuse. I anneal my necks after each 5-6 loadings and that allows me to easily get as many as 30 cycles per case in hot loadings and with very little case stretching in the process.

(Lee's "Dead Length" bullet seater dies work quite will IF the users follow the instructions correctly. Seems a lot of people don't bother with instuctions so it's not the dies fault if they get less than consistant results, is it?)

Some like one kind of lock rings, some another. That's fine but it's only personal taste. Lee's rings actually work fine IF used correctly but, like their collet neck sizers/seaters/bullet crimpers, they work differently from others. Some people like them a lot, if for no other reason than they allow a bit of softness in the die threads that can allow for better case alignment. Equating the value of the dies to a different taste in rings seems to be a bit off center. They aren't my first preference but I can work fine with them, they really don't make no difference to me. ??

Last edited:
I have no problems with lee dies. The f.l. size dies I found to size belted mag brass better at the belt than rcbs, redding, or hornady. The neck sizers work just as well. When I set up my dies, although I know by heart how to. I follow the instructions every time, and I am teaching a 11 yr. old how to the same (by the book, all the way, litterally). Some people dislike them but my accuracy did improve after using them.:cool:

I know that you targeting me . I just like to emphesize ( spelling ) that everyone should follow the book and work from there.Its the safest way thanks.

Lee Dies are awesome if you follow their instructions. That's the hard part.
Other wise, they have and will continue to produce amazingly accurate ammo.
Using a cheap Lee press with inexpensive Lee dies I have reloaded accurate long range ammo. for many years. I gave away my old Lee press to a friend and upgraded to a Forster Co-Ax reloading Press... Now that's a great ride, my ammo is not shooting any better... Still great ammo. since I plan on reloading much longer cartridge's I went to Cabala's and bought me a $99.00 Lee Classic Cast Reloading Press; I'm happy!!! Will not look back!!!! :D Why pay $375.00 Dollars or more for something else when at the range my Lee classic Cast will not embarrass me?

Last edited:
I will have to agree.the Lee dies are great.and they are all that I have and use.but one thing I can say is that I wish they would polish the mateing parts so that I don't have to. the collet dies I mean.and setting them up is a breeze,jst like one has already said.just use the instructions its that easy.but hey this is just an opinion.

Just got a new set of Lee dies and it is quiet interesting. This is the only set of dies that gives you a guarantee that i have seen. It says that these dies will load more accurate ammunition than any other brand of equipment or your money will be refunded. It also goes on to say Cases last 10 times longer- no case lube required.

So here is my question. How can you make that kind of guarantee and also say cases last 10 times longer? I might can see the no case lube required but the rest of it has really puzzled me. Anybody got any of these dies since they have been giving this kind of guarantee and if so how do you like them?

Thanks

It is easy to make claims and then blame it on the person using the product so take claims like
that with a grain of salt !!!

Lee makes a good entry level die. As a person learns to reload and set dies up correctly any
ones dies will produce better accuracy unless the dies are bad. (I have bought bad dies in
all brands) some were not discovered until I became more proficient at reloading.

Once you start checking all things to do with consistency you will find that the more expensive
dies will have more features that will assist in producing better ammo.

I have some of almost all brands and as I have progressed in reloading have weeded out
the dies that are better for the end results that I want and a few are lee dies.

So use them and try other brands to see what you like and don't worry about the claims made
and don't be surprised if you find better dies .

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts