Lathe value.

I sold this to a friend for 2KUSD. Upgraded to a 2HP motor, VFD with proximity sensor, 3J, 4J, follow rest, steady rest, outboard spider, front spider on a backplate, backplate, screw on spider with 2 sets of adjusters to handle short barrels, axa size qtp along with 6 tool holders, LED lighting, a swing out, and a permanent one.

Base is a custom built welded steel constructed on rollers and leveling feet.

Screenshot_20180725-101638_Gallery.jpg
Resized_20210402_155824.jpeg
20210225_161114.jpg
Resized_20180116_070008.jpeg

Last edited:
How well does an oiler system help, when pushing fluid from muzzle to breech during chambering? I've always been interested to know. Seems it would reduce any likelihood of spinning a chip, used sensibly.
Is it still necessary to go in small increments and clean/clear the reamer? I'm intrigued. Don't own the equipment, my experience is limited to doing LE Wilson die blanks on a friend's lathe. Curiosity gets Me in trouble from time to time.
Two different animals.
What I was referring to was what's similar in operation to a one-shot oiler system you typically see on vertical mills. Push a lever and it forces oil into multiple lube points on the ways. Just never seen one on a lathe before.

You're referring to a pressure-flush system that forces cutting oil/lube through the bore and out the breech end when chambering, and that doesn't appear to be set up on this machine. Greatly speeds up the process, but not really worth the time and $$ unless you do a decent amount of chambering- or like doing that kind of stuff. This guy could rig one up in his sleep...

Plenty of threads on this, try a search for "chamber flush system" or similar.

I sold this to a friend for 2KUSD. Upgraded to a 2HP motor, VFD with proximity sensor, 3J, 4J, follow rest, steady rest, outboard spider, front spider on a backplate, backplate, screw on spider with 2 sets of adjusters to handle short barrels, axa size qtp along with 6 tool holders, LED lighting, a swing out, and a permanent one.

Base is a custom built welded steel constructed on rollers and leveling feet.

View attachment 574766View attachment 574767View attachment 574768View attachment 574770

Man would that be handy for short barrels…

Two different animals.
What I was referring to was what's similar in operation to a one-shot oiler system you typically see on vertical mills. Push a lever and it forces oil into multiple lube points on the ways. Just never seen one on a lathe before.

You're referring to a pressure-flush system that forces cutting oil/lube through the bore and out the breech end when chambering, and that doesn't appear to be set up on this machine. Greatly speeds up the process, but not really worth the time and $$ unless you do a decent amount of chambering- or like doing that kind of stuff. This guy could rig one up in his sleep...

Plenty of threads on this, try a search for "chamber flush system" or similar.
I confused some people by being slightly off topic.
I was asking the questions in general, while some machinists were taking notice.
I don't see a rez, pump or lines either. I know one smith that has the setup and doesn't use it, kinda puzzling.!

What are the pros/cons of 4 separate brass blocks on the jaw set screws versus a brass ring? Or is it bronze?

Copper ring on a 4J or set thru 3J or 6J works. I custom cut lots of rings to fit barrel shank or muzzle end.

IMG_7859.jpg
20211013_162413.jpg
20211014_005158.jpg

On a spider I prefer the blocks with ball bearings. The adjusters are cup with a ball end mill to mate with the ball bearings. The barrel pivots on the ball bearing.

I've got an opportunity to upgrade lathes to a little bigger more rigid machine than I have now, but I've got to sell mine to purchase this other machine.

My lathe now is an older Taiwanese built jet 1336 pbd. Paint is rough but overall it's a solid little machine. Honestly, it'll probably handle anything I'd ever want to do.

I tore it down completely last year and cleaned the entire machine and put new bearings and seals in the headstock. It hold tolerances well and doesn't have much if any wear in the ways.

It has 4 and 3 jaw chucks and the basic tooling that would go with it as the lathe I'm wanting to get comes with all associated tooling.

Looking online regarding the value of these machines, the most current posting I've seen about value was around 2017. They listed from around $1000 to $2500.

If I do sell this machine, what should I ask for it?

Fresh after it was reassembled.
View attachment 573134

It cuts decent threads.
View attachment 573136
View attachment 573137
Nice lathe, I also have a Jet Lathe that I do gunsmithing on.
When I needed some parts for it, none were available.

Nice lathe, I also have a Jet Lathe that I do gunsmithing on.
When I needed some parts for it, none were available.
So this lathe, and the one that replaced it share a lot in common. The one that replaced it had a cam lock spindle but they share the same bearings and seals in the headstock. I almost ordered the camlock spindle for my machine while I had it tore down but I would have had to redo my Chuck setup.

Shortly after that model, they went gear drive, but the apron and the rest of the machine still looked identical to the PBD.

You can download the parts diagram for the machine that replaced the PBD from jet. How many parts are still available for it, I couldn't tell you. I ended up ordering the bearings and seals for mine from ebay.

Edit: sorry, I just realized you said, a jet lathe, not this particular jet lathe.

Last edited:
So after spending most of my free time on you tube watching video's looks like I am about to start having fun. Will be picking up the lathe this afternoon. Probably won't have time to set it up until Saturday. Too many irons in the fire currently. But after that let the fun begin. I'm sure I will have plenty of question's along the way so hopefully everyone is patient with me.