Lathe value.

DustThroughaFan

I've got an opportunity to upgrade lathes to a little bigger more rigid machine than I have now, but I've got to sell mine to purchase this other machine.

My lathe now is an older Taiwanese built jet 1336 pbd. Paint is rough but overall it's a solid little machine. Honestly, it'll probably handle anything I'd ever want to do.

I tore it down completely last year and cleaned the entire machine and put new bearings and seals in the headstock. It hold tolerances well and doesn't have much if any wear in the ways.

It has 4 and 3 jaw chucks and the basic tooling that would go with it as the lathe I'm wanting to get comes with all associated tooling.

Looking online regarding the value of these machines, the most current posting I've seen about value was around 2017. They listed from around $1000 to $2500.

If I do sell this machine, what should I ask for it?

Fresh after it was reassembled.
20220430_181941.jpg

It cuts decent threads.
20231227_135659.jpg

20231226_101845.jpg

Very nice lathe. My limiting factor is freight and insurance. I would only buy a lathe close to me that I had a chance to fully check out. To me, older lathes have more value than many new ones.
That kept me from buying a several nice machines before I got this one. I got this one locally 10-12 years ago. It came from an estate sale of an older gentleman that did some gunsmith work in his retirement years.
It was dirty and in need of some repairs, but it cleaned up nice, and it was well worth the cost of admission.

it really depends on the area your in, east, south, mid-west, less expensive.
in the west, lathes, mills, etc. demand higher price because of freight issues
Gulf coast region here, about an hour south of Houston. Craigslist has quite a few listing's for lathes but a lot of them are bigger more industrial machines. You see some of the old smaller hobby machines from time to time, like the old sears or atlas lathes. Every now and then you'll see a decent southbend. They always bring top money.

The closest thing to mine locally now, and it's really in a different league, is a 14" clausing listed for $4,250. And I don't think it came with tooling.

Value is in the tooling...
Big difference if the chucks are cheap Chicom, or Buck set-tru's, Bison, Burnerd...
You can spend $30 on a live center with .010 runout, or $100 or more on one with .0005...
QCTP, again- cheap Chinese to better Chinese like Phase II, or US made Dorian or Aloris...

You get the idea. Yes- the machine itself is much of the requirement for being able to do quality smithing. I differ with the school of thought that you need a 2 or 3 ton machine for rigidity- the vast majority of my turning is light cuts, I'm not ripping off .100 in a pass as one would do in a job shop. Your machine is tight, I'd say $1500-$2000 easy. High quality tooling will increase the value for the right buyer that would need the stuff anyway.

Smaller, yet capable US made and Taiwanese lathes in good, serviceable condition are in great demand. As you mention, there's a lot of bigger lathes from machine shops on the market displaced by CNC- but most hobbyist types don't have the real estate for them anyway, and don't need the large swings and bed length. I'm assuming it's got a least a 1-3/8" dia thru-spindle, and the 36" between centers is adequate for those that want to work between centers instead of thru the headstock.

JMO

Value is in the tooling...
Big difference if the chucks are cheap Chicom, or Buck set-tru's, Bison, Burnerd...
You can spend $30 on a live center with .010 runout, or $100 or more on one with .0005...
QCTP, again- cheap Chinese to better Chinese like Phase II, or US made Dorian or Aloris...

You get the idea. Yes- the machine itself is much of the requirement for being able to do quality smithing. I differ with the school of thought that you need a 2 or 3 ton machine for rigidity- the vast majority of my turning is light cuts, I'm not ripping off .100 in a pass as one would do in a job shop. Your machine is tight, I'd say $1500-$2000 easy. High quality tooling will increase the value for the right buyer that would need the stuff anyway.

Smaller, yet capable US made and Taiwanese lathes in good, serviceable condition are in great demand. As you mention, there's a lot of bigger lathes from machine shops on the market displaced by CNC- but most hobbyist types don't have the real estate for them anyway, and don't need the large swings and bed length. I'm assuming it's got a least a 1-3/8" dia thru-spindle, and the 36" between centers is adequate for those that want to work between centers instead of thru the headstock.

JMO
I couldn't remember how big the hole in the spindle was. Looked last night and it's an 1-15/32"

So almost 1½