largest long action cartridge

ajridgedell

Looking at building a rem 700 long action and wanting to choose the biggest or best cartridge in long range energy. I already have a 300rum so im thinking 338? It will be a factory 700 action single shot. Can a 30-06 bolt be opened to a magnum bolt face size? I will be reloading so factory ammo is no concern, but not so sure about custom dies for some wildcat. Thanks for any ideas.

416 Rigby.

Yeah, but bullet selection is the pits.

It's only beginning to get good in 338. 375 would be something to think about also.

W/the Remmy action a RUM in either cal would be about all you need.

Or go really wild and neck the 416 to 6.5 and stick w/ball powders. . .

Heck, the world is a play ground. May as well play a bit.

I do like some of the high bc's of the .416. I'm sure bullet selection with only continue grow. What about the bolt? Can it be opened up or what would have to be done.

you already have it ! the 300 RUM ! just run 215 - 230 gr Berger or 240 Sierra MK bullets !

want more ? 338 Edge and 300gr Berger or Sierra MK bullets...

even more ? 375 RUM and 330 gr Cutting Edge bullets !

if you want more than what those 3 can offer you have to step up to the 338 Lapua Improved wildcats or the 378 WBY and it's skinnier brothers (caliber) same case

Yeah im getting exceptional accuracy out of berger 210. Im starting to think to get the results I want ill need to just buy a bigger action.

I do like some of the high bc's of the .416. I'm sure bullet selection with only continue grow. What about the bolt? Can it be opened up or what would have to be done.

The 700 Remington is easy to open up to a magnum bolt face or buy a bolt with a magnum
bolt face and M 16 extractor from PT&G and you are ready to barrel. (You can save or sell the standard bolt face bolt and recover some of your money).

I prefer not to go any larger than magnum bole face with the 700 Action, But there are many cartridges that fit the mag bolt face and are plenty powerful enough for extreme range.

I like the custom actions or the Weatherby Mark 5s for case head diameters larger than the
magnum bolt face.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.