Largest Or Best Long Range caliber

How does the .338 Swamp Donkey differ from a .338-8mm mag?
The .338-8mm is just a 8mm mag case necked up to .338, nothing else done to it.
I have had on since 1994. I am getting around 3179fps average with 210 partitions using 88 grains of IMR4831. This gives me around 3 loading before the primer gets to loose. Now, the gunsmith claims he is getting 3345 with a 210 partition using the same load as above but no one else around here that I know is getting that speed.

Dave,

I have built several 338 Kahns on the Rem 700 receivers. I have a couple requirements that I follow when doing so. First off, simply from a length issue, they have to be single shots. No doubt they could be converted with a long magazing box but I do not recommend it with this length of a round.

Second, they have to be chrome moly receivers. THe reason is because the chrome moly steel is more resistant to bolt lug set back then the stainless steel counterparts are. Again, a requirement for me at least to use only chrome moly receivers.

Finally, they need to be loaded to sain pressures. If your wanting to load a 338 Kahn up so that you get one firing per case, first off your nuts in my opinion, and second, your running pressures far higher then the case was ever designed to be loaded to.

I tell my customers this and that if they want to load to red line then we need to order a custom receiver and even then its a very bad idea to load this hot. I tell them a velocity range to load into and if they go over that they understand they are pushing things at their own risk.

This is no differnet then what I recommend with a Wby MkV receiver. If your loosening primer pockets with your handloads, your loading to hot period.

If you load to good working pressures, a properly trued Rem 700 is plenty strong for this type of round.

With all that said, if the customer can afford it, I recommend a custom BAT or Nesika receiver every time but many can not affort the extra cost.

I will also agree that the easiest thing to do with the Rem 700 is just have chamber it for the 338 Edge and be done with it. Yes, the 338 Kahn will out perform the 338 Edge but the increased performance will lessen as the range increases. TO be honest, the difference between the 338 RUM, 338 Lapua, 338 Edge or even 338 Kahn at ranges past 1/2 mile are so small its hardly worth talking about. The key is rifle quality and shooters skill far more then the differnece of these chamberings.

The only way to see significant performance increases at long range is to jump up to the 338 AM, 338 Sniper Tac or the 338 Baer. All based on the 408 CT and all requiring custom actions.

So will the 338 Kahn, 338-378 Wby work on Rem 700 receivers, I say on chrome moly receivers you bet if loaded to proper pressure levels for the chamberings.

Is a BAT or Nesika receiver a better choice, sure it is. Hell of alot easier to build on as well but that does not mean the Rem 700 does not work very well when properly set up for such a round.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Apapro,

I would suspect your running some serious pressures if your seeing those numbers from a 338-8mm Rem Mag, especailly at those barrel lengths.

DO not be fooled into thinking that as long as you see no pressure signs that the chamber pressures are safe. Velocity is a very good indicator of pressure and those specs are running very hot.

Any properly accurised rifle will generally show no stiff bolt lifts or sticky extractions at all until you are well past the working limits of the round.

I had one customer that I built a 257 STW for a couple years ago. He came back after a couple weeks, very happy with the accuracy of the rifle and the velocity he was getting, 3950 fps with a 100 gr bullet in a 28" barrel. I heard this and asked how his primer pockets were holding up.

He replies that was his only concern as he was loosening primer pockets. I told him with those velocities that was to be expected in that barrel length. He simply could niot understand because he could open the bolt with his little finger only and the cases just fell out of the chamber.

A properly built rifle will really hide alot of high pressure signs for the handloader to see. For that reason, a quality chrono is the best tool to have when predicting pressures.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

thanks for the info guys, i didn't think the wtby case was doable with the 700 but evidently it is. if i knew the new brass company would make weatherby brass,would make the kahn look a bit more interesting.

I have been looking for a gun along the same lines as what is being talked about here.I have settled on getting the Kahn as long as I can do it in a repeater. If that will be too expensive to do I will go with the Lapua Imp.

Now when I can afford to do that will be another story!!!!!

steve

Let me throw in my 2 cents for the 338RUM--I am biased since I have one that shoots like a dream. While it does not produce quite the velocity of the Lapua or Edge, There is no fireforming required and Remington brass is much cheaper than Lapua. If cost and simplicity are factors, this is a good choice. I'm betting that the bull elk I plan on shooting this fall won't know the difference!

Well let's see I have had 3 of the 338 Lapua including 2 AI AWM's and have 2 338 Lapua AI versions one is a barrel for my 1k competition rifle. As soon as Jerry Stiller gets finished making his new action (Rem footprint that will handle that cartridge) I will have 1 more. I am having a lot of fun with the 338 and will be working on my loads a lot more but 2 weeks ago at the ranch in a 20 to 25 mph wind at 4o'clock after 1 sighter hit the 12 inch gong 5 out of 5. Going to put the 8 inch on to practice this weekend if it gets here in time------the 300gr will slice through the air and the 250 works very well also./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.