Ladder Test vs QuickLoad - What do you prefer and why

There are different types of ladder tests. A velocity ladder is looking for a velocity node. An OCW ladder is looking for an accuracy node. They are not the same thing.

Thank you BF. I used Dan Newberry's OCW when I was learning to load. In his home page he talks about the Ladder Test.

If your looking for flat spots how can a 3 shot string have identical velocity but shoot 1.5" at 100

I guess Sherm you understand Ladder Test method less than I do. Its not identical velocity. "flat" is not literal, its where the velocity in three consecutive loads shows very little change. That region indicates a possible node, around which more testing could yield a very small group. I suggest you at least glance at the link I posted.
Anyways, I am asking for input from people who used the Ladder, either Creighton Auddette's original or the new 10 shot string variation method and also understand and have experience using the QuickLoad.
QuickLoad starts with modelling. Like many modelling programs in an field you can think of, your variables are more than the known. You approximate most, you calibrate with shooting results, get a new model around which you fine tune with actual range time
Anybody who used both have any comments?

All I can tell you use whatever you like, I let the paper targets tell me what to do.
I bring a chrono out to get a baseline on velocity's when I'm loading for a new rifle and put it away untill I'm done and bring it out again to get my velocity for drops and speed up process on the barrel that's it.

Anybody who used both have any comments?
I have not used quickload but I have written millions of lines of code to do things like predictive response, optimization and pattern recognition. Software is based on assumptions, and there quickload will put you in the same parking aisle, but not in the same slot.
To wit: two machines, built with identical parts, by the same person, and controlled by simple code, can behave dramatically differently. Why? Harmonics.
I find quickload useful for "what if's", but the data don't mean shizzle until you put the pedal to the metal.

Sherm, thank you for your input . I just like to tinker. I started OCW for 338LM. I will also try the new variation of Ladder Test (10 shot string) and QL as soon as it gets a little cooler. I don't enjoy shooting in 100 degree days.

P7M13, totally agree with you. I used software for finding the parking lot. I use range time for parking in the center of the parking spot. (that is how I feel about all modelling or predictive analytics software)

J E Custom, I agree with you. QL is a model. Gives you a starting point. Need to fine tune from there. Its like taking a load from your friend. Just because it works in his rifle does not meant is the right one for yours. But it could be a starting poing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts