What is a "Ladder Test"?

Re: What is a \"Ladder Test\"?

elkfirst,
Basically, the short description of a ladder test would be shooting a series of rounds, each with different powder charges loaded in increasing incriments of charge wt in an attempt to find vibration nodes that minimize the dispersion caused by varying charge weights, while allowing an accurate, repeatable load to be found for a rifle, with a minimum round count being fired. Ive got a document that does a passable job of explaining the ladder test. If you would like a copy, id be happy to email it to you.

Abinok - I have the gist and am just getting ready to start my new load development for my 243AI. I'll take a copy please, if you don't mind. Thanks

Cowboy,
Email sent.

GSSP, Yours bounced back as undeliverable to the address in your profile.

Elkfirst,
Il be happy to send it to you, but there isn't an email in your profile. Let me know where to send it, and it will.

Gssp, I tried the alternate address you sent. Let me know if you get it. if not, ill try something else.

Gerard,
email sent.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> I've got a document that does a passable job of explaining the ladder test. If you would like a copy, id be happy to email it to you. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you just send it to me, I'll scan/OCR it, put it on my web site, and we can all edit/update/improve it. No postage. Sorta the 80's way of doing it in lieu of the pony express. We can save the environment that way and keep all the liberals happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Let me know if and when you get it up. I have a couple ladder tests I have shot and have no definative clue as to which load is the "best".

Thanks

I pick a bullet, touch the rifling, pick a powder, Find a max load in a book subtract 4 grains, load three shells, add .5 grain, load one shell, add .5 load another etc. until I have 10 total. Just before dark when the winds calm down I set up a spotting scope and two targets at 300 or 400 yards.

Fire the first two as sighters, this fouls bore and dial scope to last shot. Fire the 8 remaining shots, from least to most powder, at the other target marking down on a target at the bench the order in which they went in. If you get pressure signs stop. Read the clumps, they should tell you what the rifle likes for speed with that combo. If you don't get a clump try a different powder. If they are just starting to "come in" at the highest load I will continue up a bit more. Here is an example:

300y2506115g.jpg

Notice it liked slow and then the last 2 rounds started going out. I picked load 5. Then I do four or five shot groups doing variations off this base, adjust seat depth, swapping to regular primers, changing neck tension, at 100yd. If one is showing improvement, I do another ladder with .3 grain increments, half above and half below my first crude node pick. In this case I'll go out to 400 as the whole ladder is just over 1 moa. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Works good. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.