Help: First Ladder Test...now what

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
574118D4-E2F0-4E51-B15C-C41194A838A3.jpeg
First time working up a load, ever. Not sure where to go from here?

Any and all inputs welcome. #2 was on me...was a little jumpy.

300wm, 26" proof, berger 215s, H1000, .020 jump, 2.781 CBTO, 3.565 COAL

Indoors, 100 yards (should it string that much at 100?) Zero target at bottom is 2" by 2", aiming bottom left and dialed up (except fouler)

Hunting rifle, all shots were cold bore.

Thinking 76 to 77.6 is my high node.

Saw pressure at 78.5 (primer flattening, bolt lift wasnt sticky as far as I can tell).

Where to go from here. Load 76.7 and do seating depth or load some 3 round groups first?
View attachment 147357 View attachment 147358
View attachment 147360
I would shoot for the 2950 ft./s range and adjust seating depth. This is my 300 WinMag load five shots at 100 yards with H 1000 and a burger 185 juggernaut

I don't know what your charge weights were for each shot but plotting your velocities it looks as though you have two nodes. One between shots 3&4 and another between 6&7. I believe your load would be more stable between 3&4.

Charge weights are listed on the page next to shot #'s...sorry for the chicken scratch.

Why would the lower node be more stable? Or how can I tell?

2800fps is pretty slow load for the 215s at a DA of 9k in CO during the summer. I'd like to run the faster node. Strictly a hunting rifle, not worried about barrel life

Folks are running the 230s at 2800

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes sense. Thanks!

I loaded 5 at 77 to check velocity/ES...then have seating depth test loaded up at .010-.040,
Will test on steel tomorrow at 500.

Once I find that searing depth it likes, can I vary the load .2 on either side to fine tune?

I read that seating depth typically is adjusted for horizontal and charge weight is mostly in the vertical. It's one of those chicken or the egg arguements?

I guess I could have done .2gr around 77 and then took that ans adjusted seating depth too.

Will post up results, good or bad.

Awesome info fellas and thanks to everyone for the inputs..alot to learn/process

Vandy,

I'm learning, too - ALWAYS refining the process. I'm going to learn from you when you get done with this and post all your stuff. Something will pop up, and someone will chime in with a tip that will be new stuff for both of us. That's how this forum works, and it's the best source of expertise I've found yet. There are other good ones ( you mentioned two others that have also been very helpful to me ) but this one is my favorite.

Varying the charge weight by +/-.2 wouldn't be a bad idea; .3 might be better for this large capacity case. ( I do .2-grain increments in 30-06-sized cases.) You mentioned that you're getting into a time crunch, and up against the season opener - that suggests taking a larger increment, if you do any charge weight juggling at all. You might be better off to just work out the seating depth ( and any other necessary accuracy-tuning work ) and just go hunting. The fiddling with fine increments might just prolong the process, and make you start getting nervous about getting it all wrapped up in time for your hunt. Don't forget to post a picture after you've let the air out of an animal with this rifle. Have a good hunt.

Nick

Alright fellas. 10mph 1/2 value wind, working on wind holds between groups.

300 yards. All loaded to 77gr. ES over 5 shot group was 19. Didnt run the chrono on the groups on steel pictured. Barrel was cooled 10+ minutes between groups (each shot is not cold bore)

Not sure what to make of this...can anyone find a seating depth from this? Dont wanna go over .040 or so based on 77 is already a light compressed load.

1st group: .010 jump. (.43 MOA) Spotter says that 3rd shot just passed at top of steel, so could not be valid data. I trust him though, very experienced shooter, spotted through swaro glass)

Screenshot_20190901-084305_Range Buddy.jpg

2nd Group: .020 jump (.72 MOA)
Screenshot_20190901-090514_Range Buddy.jpg

3rd Group: .030 jump (.58 MOA)
Screenshot_20190901-092402_Range Buddy.jpg

4th group: .040 (.75 MOA)
Screenshot_20190901-094325_Range Buddy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What am I missing on the target shot at 100 yards?

wind

your groups are good, i would have stayed at 100 to do your seating test ( indoor with no wind )

i only do distance to verify ,i dont consider testing with no wind a waste , once you have the smallest group you can find , then verify at at least 2 more and different longer ranges to verify drops ... i have heard quite a few poeple say that they shoot good at 100 but open up , i have yet to see that happen to me personally ... i feel the opening up is the other variables parallax, wind, mirage, temperature of everything not being under shaded range

out of the 4 pics you posted i would go with the 3rd , because its hitting in the middle of pic 3 and 4 .. it may not be the perfect choice but still a good choice ... load up 50 exactly the same , practice every weekend until your hunt, i wouldnt clean your gun until your hunt is over

you will never know how far off the the plate that first one went

Last edited:
I think and of the seating depths above would work. But, IIWE, I'd take the .010 and call it good. I tend to load closer to the lands with Bergers anyways.
What it's the max distance you plan on shooting on the hunt? If, it's inside 500~600 yards, I'd start working on my zero and dope.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.