Labradar LX - I guess they have an answer for the Garmin Zero. Maybe?

I just got my garmin. It is shockingly small. I feel like it should cost 59.99 based on the size and weight! I'm going to buy a hard case to protect it, but also just so it doesn't fall between the seats of my truck and get lost!
The question is, doesn't it tell you speeds just like a 59.99 chrono does?

I chuckled when I saw used and even unused pre-owned LR go up for sale the day the Garmins hit the market. From $500-600 to $300 or so in a single day. I'll wait till my LR dies a smoky ozone emmitting death and then look for something new. Glad most people enjoy their Garmins. The users are doing field testing for us stubborn types.
I never had a misread with my LR and it was great for 3 years. Absolutely zero issues and thousands of shots. The garmin does the exact same thing, it's just smaller and fits in my range bag now. One less trip out to the truck, and one less item to forget. The garmin has also been flawless. Only difference is the compactness, and that was a big enough difference for me personally is all.

Yep. And doesn't a bicycle get you to work like a car?
Deff not the same comparison but yes. My pickup gets me to work faster than a bike but your garmin doesn't read velocity any faster than a Caldwell? Not $600 worth of faster.

I'm right there with ya!
Magneto is a huge PIA. I have one that I haven't touched since I got a LabRadar. Kind of like saying "Why do I need a SIG Kilo10 when my old $199 Bushnell rangefinder works?" As I said in another post, my LabRadar will stay in CO and the Garmin in AZ, but honestly, the Garmin is now my favorite - hands down.

Deff not the same comparison but yes. My pickup gets me to work faster than a bike but your garmin doesn't read velocity any faster than a Caldwell? Not $600 worth of faster.
Caldwell that you have to set up every time you want to use it? Just checked, and it is $100, so your are saving $500. Time is money - if it takes you five minutes more to set up a Caldwell and your time is worth $200/hr, then in 30 shooting sessions you have broken even and anything more is gravy. But hey, then again, there are plenty of people who still use a flame to anneal instead of an AMP.

But it does it easier, without hassle, in a more compact size without 100-200 dollars in accessories.

We can always find a cheaper route. A moped gets you to work just as fast as your truck. Are you going to sell your truck and buy a $2000 moped?

I have an old CED M2. It still
Works great, but you have to have a cease fire to set it up and to remove it. Garmin and LR are much easier to set up. I am waiting for prices to hopefully come down once competition is in full swing

Last edited:
Caldwell that you have to set up every time you want to use it? Just checked, and it is $100, so your are saving $500. Time is money - if it takes you five minutes more to set up a Caldwell and your time is worth $200/hr, then in 30 shooting sessions you have broken even and anything more is gravy. But hey, then again, there are plenty of people who still use a flame to anneal instead of an AMP.
I'm unaware of any chrono that's already setup and waiting for you at the range. It takes no time for me to setup a chrono. And if times was money why even bother with any DIY project...why reload yourself...why not just pay custom ammo makers....the time is money is a moot point in this argument IMO. It's not like I'm missing my kids after school activies cuz I had to setup my chrono at the range hahah.

But it does it easier, without hassle, in a more compact size without 100-200 dollars in accessories.

We can always find a cheaper route. A moped gets you to work just as fast as your truck. Are you going to sell your truck and buy a $2000 moped?
I don't find anything non LR or Garmin a hassle. It takes a couple minutes to setup. I shoot a cold bore shot, once my barrels ready to shoot for groups my chrono is already setup. And it gives as accurate and fast readings as any $600 unit. This debate always leaves me wondering what all these guys used before LR came out. My guess is what you used to use still works great

Just like a muzzle loader still kills animals.. You do you. The Garmin is so much easier, quicker and more reliable than ANY other chrono that I have ever used and I have used a bunch over the years. Optical, magneto, and radar. The Garmin beats them all, hands down. Take your Caldwell and go join in that discussion.
Opinions.☝️

Now back to the OP. I think it will be an answer to Garmin. I may pick up a Garmin or a new LR after the next new thing comes out and everyone is dumping them like now😁😁😁

Last edited:
Opinions.☝️

Now back to the OP. I think it will be an answer to Garmin. I may pick up a Garmin or a new LR after the next new thing comes out and everyone is dumping them like now😁😁😁

I have a ProChrono and upgraded to a Magneto Speed when they first came out. They all work fine. Still use the Magneto. Never upgraded to LR because it looked like a pain to setup. Plus I sometimes like to use the Magneto Speed when out in the field for various reasons and the old LR and ProChrono just suck for stuff like that. Now that there are more portable versions and easier to setup with LR and Garmin, I will probably upgrade before I hit the squirrel fields in the spring. It's really just a convenience thing.

I am glad Garmin came out with their chronograph I will keep mine. Labradar appears to have rested on their laurel's too long. Hopefully the LabRadar lighter and smaller entry will bring more innovation and lower the price.
Well I actually had my Garmin out on Monday at the range, I am impressed, another shooter at the range as well. The Garmin was easy to set up less than a minute. Recorded all of my shots and was easy to pack up. Compared to the Caldwell chronograph I had for years couldn't be happier.