Do I really need a Labradar?

Need is a four letter word. If I had to justify need for all my toys, I would be in dire straits. The labradar is one of the best purchases I've made in 50 years in the shooting hobby. Buy once, cry once.

Not to hijack the thread, but this discussion about chronos had me reminiscing about my early years in the handloading and shooting sports world. Anyone remember using an early 70's Oehler model 12 with sky screens mounted either 5' or 10' c2c and thought it was great to know actual velocities? Then the ultimate was to buy a model 33?

44817972_2m.jpg

Short answer, yes.
Buy one and don't look back. I would recommend an external trigger so that you don't record random shots if you are at a range with other shooters.
It's so easy to setup and use. I use mine every time I shoot my bolt action rifles to continue to gather data.

I have never, ever seen a post where someone wrote that he regretted buying a LabRadar and wished he had bought something less expensive. I love my LabRadar and would never get a magnetospeed or Chrony type device.
Do I "need" it? Of course not. I reloaded for 10 years without a chronograph. But when I decided to buy one I also decided not to go cheap just for the sake of going cheap. If you get a thrill by saving money, and hey there is nothing wrong with that, then save all your money and don't buy a chronograph. Shooting as a hobby is not a way to save money.

Save up your dollars and buy just once: The LABRADAR is the way to go. Been using mine for over some 5-6 years now and love it. Have used many of the others and it's the Lab that does it for me. Thats my 3 cents worth !
Been loading over some 55 years now- LAB the way to go >

+1 - I have a Magneto Speed and this is the process I use. Find my load and chrono it. Then shoot at distance and adjust for the actual drops and / or just make a manual range card for the distances I shot. I am considering the newer model Doppler Chronographs, my needs just have not justified this yet. Good luck.
So you have to shoot the same load twice? Sure would be nice to shoot once for the test.

Don't you consider those " wasted shots" Rick? I would like to achieve all at the same time, and that's what's holding me back. Labs too expensive, Caldwell too poor of quality, and magnetospeed on the barrel. So I true my speeds using my ballistic program...works well enough for now!
Plus by the time you add up all the extra items for the Magnetospeed that get it off the barrel, it's almost the Labradar cost. Hhmmm....

So you have to shoot the same load twice? Sure would be nice to shoot once for the test.
Yes, for the same reason I stated. So I am not a competitive shooter. I only work on precision / accuracy. I would be nice to do this only once, but the additional 5 shots vs the cost difference of the LabRadar is the reason, plus I bought my Magneto V3 before the LabRadar was available. so there's that. Will I go Doppler chronograph, yes, eventually. Just at my age and how I hunt, all this works for me now. Then I shoot at distance for actual drops and I create a manual drop card.
So on a side note, and something I have been considering, is the new Hornady shooting App. 4DOF, as I understand it, I have what I need then I would go and shoot at distance to get me actual drops in those current conditions then it adjusts for any condition in the world.
the Caveat? You still have to shoot the necessary rounds to get it all dialed in. So the extra 3-5 rounds? probably be in for another 40-50. But I haven't gone down this rabbit hole yet. I hope I helped you. thanks for asking my opinion.