Do I really need a Labradar?

Just because you asked. I have an Oehler and a Pro Chrono. I use the Pro Chrono 95% of the time and it is very close when I verify my loads. I have buddies with the labradar and for me the only gain is certain lighting conditions.

I had a Chrony Beta Master and it was fine until I used my friend's Labradar. After that I just had to have one and fortunate for me I found a lightly used one for $300. It works great and I won't look back. I didn't HAVE to have it but it's great.
I've had a labradar for over 4 years best decision I have ever made sets up quick never miss a shot

Do I really need a Labradar? I dont like the Magnetospeed but I would love to find a dependable, accurate chrono that isn't $600+
Really like mine. Works fantastic! Still have a Chrony but never use it now. If you are shooting a brake or suppressor you might need some practice setting it in the right spot to trigger it but after that it is a great tool>

I was on a waiting list for a LabRadar so a friend and I went together and bought a CE Pro Chrono to "hold us over". Not a huge investment. The first trip to the range, he SHOT IT! He ordered a replacement for me and kept the damaged on since it seemed to work however in the meantime, my LabRadar arrived in the mail. The replacement Pro Chrono has never been out of the box and likely never will be. And, by the way, he is not allowed anywhere near my LabRadar!!!!

Had the Magnetospeed, it worked, but I love the Lab Radar. I find myself setting it up everytime I shoot, as part of my verification process, just like checking a zero. Super simple and once you get used to it very reliable.. do you need it ? No, but you know you want it!…lol

I have had nothing but problems with my LR, have lost track of how many times it has been sent back and each time they told me they found the problem and repaired it. The only time it really worked as advertised was when they sent me back someone else's, I thought they had finally replaced mine with a refurb. Worked fine until they figured it out and then I had to trade back for mine. Then back to problems.
I don't really think there is anything I have not tried, or friends that own ones that work, trying to make it work right, leaving shaking their head. I have bought all the different triggers, sights etc. I have gone through the instructions over and over with with people that are supposed to know what they are doing as well as tech support on the rare times I can shoot on week days and each time they say send it back.
One of the biggest complaints is no tech support on weekends when I really have time to get on the phone and try to figure it out.
After the third time it was returned under warranty I begged them to replace it but they assured me it was properly repaired. Each time it was returned the fact that they said they found the problem suggests that it did have problems.
I have wasted many $$$$s of valuable load development rounds and untold hours of range time. I can't sell it to anyone honestly and with a clear conscience.
I take it out several times a year and try to get it adjusted correctly but no success.
I know anyone can produce a Lemon but their refusal to replace it is just not right......
I often wish I would have just returned it and asked for my money back.
OK rant over.

I've been using an Oehler 33 for 40 years and never develop loads without it. I know many say its too complicated to set up but I can have it assembled and lined up in 5 minutes, but maybe thats because I've been doing it so long. Group size it only half the tale of the load I'm working on; velocity, SD and ES tell the rest of the story. I have stacks of note books filled with priceless data for different loads on different cartridges and rifles from those 40 years of using it. The 15 years I was handloading before I had it I was very much in the dark. It's especially useful when working on wildcats and newer cartridges with limited loading data.; "Quickload" and the Oehler are indispensable. Quirky things sometimes happen with a load and the data soon unravels the problem. I have a 6.5 RPM that doesn't seem to like Retumbo and showed extreme pressure signs. I usually start 2 grains below max to save time and reloading components and this method has always served me well. With Retumbo in the 6.5 RPM I had very heavy bolt lift and when checking the Oehler I was 200FPS over were I should be. Minimum charge in the data I was using turned out to be almost maximum in this case. Could I have figured this out from just the pressure signs? Yes, but the Oehler confirmed the problem without a doubt and "quantified" the issue. I often shoot a few test loads with different powders and bullets just to get preliminary data to give me a direction on where to "go" with my loads. Today, as soon as the fog lifts, I'll be shooting and chronographing loads I loaded yesterday for 6mmARC, 6.5-300 and 6.5 RPM

Depends on your perspective of wasted shots since those are required anyway to develop the load recipe. Shots performed with the MS is very minimal. I get the Information I need with just a few shots since I am most interested in average velocity followed by ES and SD. It works for me and my HUNTING applications.
Noted!

I just replaced a old shooting chrony with a Competition Electronics DLx with Bluetooth. Sure not a sleek as a lab radar but under $200. It gives me the data I need sent straight to my phone. I cam export shot strings to a excel type format. List es Sd muzzle velocity averages and lb of energy for each shot.
Here's a pic of a pdf I emailed from a session shooting a pcp .22 to test some pellets. But it works well all the way up to my 300 prc

I am doing a full evaluation over a range of firearms on my YouTube channel and plan to do the same with a LR soon.

Attachments

• 0EA231DD-D4F8-4E4D-B98E-59B00DF89079.jpeg
    0EA231DD-D4F8-4E4D-B98E-59B00DF89079.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Depends on your perspective of wasted shots since those are required anyway to develop the load recipe. Shots performed with the MS is very minimal. I get the Information I need with just a few shots since I am most interested in average velocity followed by ES and SD. It works for me and my HUNTING applications.
I tend to be the same way with my chrono. Finalize a load and get out in the field. I recently renewed my membership and the local range and realized why I let it lapse. But it's close and convenient so I'll keep the membership for now. Now if I had a LR I'd chrono my loads far more. Either at the range or out on blm lands while practicing.

I just repla. Ed a old shooting chrome with a Com Electronics DLx with Bluetooth. Sure not a sleek as a lab radar but under $200. It gives me the data I need sent straight to my phone. I cam export shot strings to a excel type format. List es Sd muzzle velocity averages and lb of energy for each shot.
Here's a pic of a pdf I emailed from a session shooting a pcp .22 to test some pellets. But it works well all the way up to my 300 prc

I am doing a full evaluation over a range of firearms on my YouTube channel and plan to do the same with a LR soon.

I like that bluetooth connection. My chrono uses a long cord and I loose sync with the chrono constantly.

This^

And there are a few brands of bayonet style magneto speed sensor holders that don't mount to your barrel.
The only problem I see is that after you add up costs of the extras to make the Magnetospeed work without attaching to the barrel, your close to Labradar cost. Hhmmm...

I used a Chrony for years and it was ok but a problem on sunny days with the sky screens.
Got a Magnetospeed and really like it. Have been using it for several years now and went to buy a Weiser mount but they are sold out.
Any other source for them other than direct?

Recent Posts