Kyle’s Trophy Buck

I'm going fishing for the weekend and the lake is rather small but known for huge crappie and large mouth bass. If I land a monster should I feel ashamed and look for a larger lake. Maybe I should just stick to ocean fishing only so all will approve… In reality the vast majority can give a hairy rats a** if you hunt a fenced area or fish a small pond, to each his own.

I'm going fishing for the weekend and the lake is rather small but known for huge crappie and large mouth bass. If I land a monster should I feel ashamed and look for a larger lake. Maybe I should just stick to ocean fishing only so all will approve… In reality the vast majority can give a hairy rats a** if you hunt a fenced area or fish a small pond, to each his own.
Apparently you better not put a feeder out there to attract the fish 😂

You got me! Some times pronghorn jump. Not normally. They back up on 4 strand barb wire cattle fences all the time and have a hell of a time figuring out how to get through it.

We have cwd in MT. Have for a very long time. We don't have high fence. Biologist that I spoke with figured it has been here since the 50's. I wonder how we got it without high fences? The Texans that I have been around are pretty passionate about whether or not someone has the right to tell them how they fence their land. If it were not for high fences in South Africa there would be very little game left. Land there that is not high fenced has little or no game on it. The fences there are as much about keeping poachers out as they are about keeping game in. Farmers there also high fence in order to keep animals out of their crops. They will high fence a property and then exterminate any wild animals on the land in order to preserve their crops.

I'm pretty sure I have hunted elk my whole life in some of the roughest country available. Oh boy...You got me again. I'm just a dumb Montanan that has no idea what hunting is. Or where elk live. Or what their natural habitat was.

Here is what I do know. Only here on LRH did the post of a successful hunt of a white tail deer on a TX ranch become such a ****ing match. The get Hammer Bullets crowd shows up again. We posted the same thing all over social media and only here did this happen. We have the hate Hammer crowd jumping in thinking this their shot at getting Hammer Bullets and then the holier than thou crowd letting everyone know that they are the premier hunters and only they are truly pure. Sooo much better than the lesser hunters. Even though they are lesser hunters we will count them as part of the hunting community, but they will have to ride in the back seat of the hunting bus. If this statement offends you, you need to take a hard look at yourself. You are the biggest problem that our hunting community has. You will be what enables the antis to stop it all together. You will be the one that sides with the antis in order to keep your "purity" standards. No different than the traditional archers that lobby to shorten the archery season and make it either or in order to limit the number of archers that they have to compete with. Either or, for those who don't know, is you have to choose before the season whether you will hunt with a bow or a rifle. You can't use both. Led by the purist, holier than thou traditional archers that are the best hunters, because of their method.

I was told 30 years ago that the hunting community would cannibalize itself and do the work for the anti-hunters. I did not believe it then. Threads like this one prove me wrong.

One of the best ways to tell if people are lying, is if they won't concede on ANY point... regardless of how much evidence has been provided to prove they are wrong.

You keep saying how it's the same old "get hammer" people. It isn't. I was an ally, or at the very least an uninterested 3rd party. I wanted to see what you're doing succeed. You must have a short memory, because not very long ago I expended more time and effort and resources trying to get your 22cal bullets to shoot small than I have on any other bullets in the history of my career. They failed to meet my standards, but knowing there are plenty of people that are just fine with 5/8-3/4 MOA, I just let it be. Then too, based on user reports, the larger calibers such as the .338 guys seemed to get better results. So rather than put out a video showing just how poorly the 3-4 different types of .22cal hammers did compared to literally every other cup/core bullet I have here, I just moved on and told myself I'd try some of your bigger bullets some day. My conscience is clean and I can prove I was really wanting to be an ally. Secondly, I'm not a part of any group. Nearly everyone here can attest that I go my own way, no matter what.

It's not that you don't like how the hunter hunted but that he used Hammer Bullets? You are pathetic and need a life beyond your hatred of Hammer Bullets.
That post right there, and countless others like it, is what caused me to no longer care if you succeed or fail. Me feeling that way doesn't make me a "get hammer" person. It makes me a "DO BETTER" person. I'm telling you, to do better.

Your repeated demonstrated inability to objectively weigh things properly in the spirit of truth, and then bully the people speaking out on it. THAT is why I'm taking exception to your behavior.

So, I make an argument, and instead of discussing the argument itself... you try to form an attack that consists of how I must use "high fences" to hunt pronghorn. I tell you I don't... and that here, I simply can't, unless it's a true high fence... (which we don't have, even most of the buffalo fence allows deer/pronghorn through) So you don't accept the fact that I don't utilize the scummy high fence tactics that you and others clearly employ... and try to claim that it's impossible that I don't. You say pronghorn DON'T jump fences. Then I show you a couple random videos of pronghorn, and one video of my own, showing unequivocal proof that not only do they jump fences, they jump fences when it's obvious they don't have to. I further state that not only do they do it, but that it is 100% normal and a part of their daily life that they don't even think about, and I've witnessed it being like that for quite a while now. I took that video off my porch. I live with these animals year round. You got a lot of pronghorn at your house in the burbs in the mountains there fella?

Instead of acknowledging that you are simply out of your depth, and your attempted argument against my ability to hold the standard I set has failed... you sarcastically spit out your self immolating placation and talk about what isn't in the nature of a pronghorn, when you clearly have no idea what is and isn't their nature in the modern world.

Further responding that they "sometimes" jump fences, when I've already stated that it's so commonplace that no one in northwestern south dakota would even consider it newsworthy. They do it literally everywhere around here every single day. Through or over, the fences mean nothing to them. They go where they want to go, just like a deer. Then, being one to not leave anything alone ever, you try to claim that because I and others won't bend to your ridiculous assertions, that we're destroying all of hunting. Not being satisfied with that, you also start attacking purity itself. What kind of narcissist wants to sit and argue on behalf of the lesser things and vilify the better things? Someone that wants to make himself feel better about making poor choices, and compromising on things that shouldn't be compromised on... that's who.

Shooting Aoudad in a herd, and taking out a kid in the process, then LYING about it on camera and saying you waited for them to clear. Loading ammo so hot you can't open your bolt, in a clear attempt to push velocity to levels it shouldn't be. Continually attacking everyone here personally, instead of attacking their argument. Joining up with anti-lead anti-hunting groups to participate in any capacity with anti's promotion of faulty studies directed SOULY at attacking hunters. Advocating that high fence hunting isn't indeed lesser than open wild hunting. Ignoring all evidence that you're flat wrong on a subject, clearly indicating that if you'll do that once, you'll do it always when it suits you. You think hunters are all on the same team? Well we're not. I will rightly condemn some idiot chasing a deer down across a field with a pickup, poking a rifle out the window and shooting it. I'll condemn that as well as countless other idiotic practices that the people engaged in those types of things will try to justify.

If there's a downfall of this hunting heritage we all participate in, it's those of low character doing low character activities that will be the cause. NOT those looking to advance the purity of the discipline. I certainly don't think high fence hunting qualifies as low character, but it certainly isn't on the same level as true wild fair chase. That's not a fact open for debate.

Now it's important to mention I'm far from being faultless. When I was younger, I too engaged in methods of hunting that were of low character. Commonplace and widely accepted, but still of low character. That's what I was taught to do. It wasn't until much later that I had a chance to learn about better ways. I've never done something as stupid as take a shot at a big game animal with another animal immediately behind it... but I have jumped deer and went for the texas heart shot on the run. Stupid, and there's no justification for it. I was wrong, pure and simple. It didn't feel wrong at the time, and I didn't know any better... but it doesn't change the fact that it was wrong. It's not even up for debate.

When I learned of better ways, I set about trying to incorporate those better ways. Then as that understanding evolved, it paved the way to better ways still. This is how people should try to be. Not continually making justifications for the lesser forms, but aiming at the highest modes they can envision, and working steadfastly to see those aims achieved. We will all have our failures, but claiming those with the highest aims will be the destruction of our sport is a cowardly, ignorant, and patently false statement. Ignoring facts and trying to bend reality to suit twisted justifications doesn't deserve praise. It demands condemnation.

It is very obvious to me at this point that the majority of the population will not forego themselves. They will not deny themselves instant gratification. Not when hunting, nor anything else. So it does no one any good to remain silent. When you know the truth, silence is a lie. Often the only way we'll learn is if someone that knows better than us, says something.

Your continued actions across a year of time have taken someone that used to wish for your success, and caused me to be ashamed to ever have had anything to do with you or recommended your bullets to anyone. Do you care about that? You may not, and you have no obligation to me... but you're headed down a wrong road and it's obvious. You're the only one that can change it. It's my sincere hope that you do indeed find the will to be better. To stop perpetuating untruth. I've done many wrong things in my life. None of which I'd like to see repeated in my life, and none of which I can justify. Yet if you'd like to be better, you first need to start understanding when you are wrong. If someone was making false claims about your bullets, or someone else's product, I'd spend (and have spent) just as much effort correcting them if I knew the truth and they clearly did not.

You're defending an indefensible position. You just don't know it.

Maybe this post will cause you to think. Maybe it will cause you to just dig in deeper. Either way, I've said my piece and I will not be interacting with you or anyone that has anything to do with you again unless I see some drastic adherence to fact show up in your behavior. You don't have to atone here for your past misdeeds... but you will atone for them. You can choose to do that on your own accord, and it will be easier... but you will not get away with any of it regardless. What is important is whether you continue this way, or you decide to be better. If you think the accolades of countless other people that also refuse to hold themselves to a higher standard will count as justification to continue your lack of standard, you're sorely mistaken.

High and continually higher standards, are what we are meant to pursue. We are to help others realize those higher standards as well, and we only condemn them when they have been made aware of the higher aim, and refuse to move toward it. These things are not opinions are open to discussion. Everyone knows whether a standard is better or worse than another. How they behave in the face of it directly reflects their character.

At the very least, you can no longer say you are unaware of the issues at hand. So if you still insist on choosing poorly, the consequences that come with them will be far worse. There are no shortage of people that are trying to justify their compromised sense of things, and they'll vilify me and come to your defense. Just as it has always been. That won't change what is. It certainly won't change my hope for people to be better and stop justifying the lesser.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

One of the best ways to tell if people are lying, is if they won't concede on ANY point... regardless of how much evidence has been provided to prove they are wrong.

You keep saying how it's the same old "get hammer" people. It isn't. I was an ally, or at the very least an uninterested 3rd party. I wanted to see what you're doing succeed. You must have a short memory, because not very long ago I expended more time and effort and resources trying to get your 22cal bullets to shoot small than I have on any other bullets in the history of my career. They failed to meet my standards, but knowing there are plenty of people that are just fine with 5/8-3/4 MOA, I just let it be. Then too, based on user reports, the larger calibers such as the .338 guys seemed to get better results. So rather than put out a video showing just how poorly the 3-4 different types of .22cal hammers did compared to literally every other cup/core bullet I have here, I just moved on and told myself I'd try some of your bigger bullets some day. My conscience is clean and I can prove I was really wanting to be an ally. Secondly, I'm not a part of any group. Nearly everyone here can attest that I go my own way, no matter what.

That post right there, and countless others like it, is what caused me to no longer care if you succeed or fail. Me feeling that way doesn't make me a "get hammer" person. It makes me a "DO BETTER" person. I'm telling you, to do better.

Your repeated demonstrated inability to objectively weigh things properly in the spirit of truth, and then bully the people speaking out on it. THAT is why I'm taking exception to your behavior.

So, I make an argument, and instead of discussing the argument itself... you try to form an attack that consists of how I must use "high fences" to hunt pronghorn. I tell you I don't... and that here, I simply can't, unless it's a true high fence... (which we don't have, even most of the buffalo fence allows deer/pronghorn through) So you don't accept the fact that I don't utilize the scummy high fence tactics that you and others clearly employ... and try to claim that it's impossible that I don't. You say pronghorn DON'T jump fences. Then I show you a couple random videos of pronghorn, and one video of my own, showing unequivocal proof that not only do they jump fences, they jump fences when it's obvious they don't have to. I further state that not only do they do it, but that it is 100% normal and a part of their daily life that they don't even think about, and I've witnessed it being like that for quite a while now. I took that video off my porch. I live with these animals year round. You got a lot of pronghorn at your house in the burbs in the mountains there fella?

Instead of acknowledging that you are simply out of your depth, and your attempted argument against my ability to hold the standard I set has failed... you sarcastically spit out your self immolating placation and talk about what isn't in the nature of a pronghorn, when you clearly have no idea what is and isn't their nature in the modern world.

Further responding that they "sometimes" jump fences, when I've already stated that it's so commonplace that no one in northwestern south dakota would even consider it newsworthy. They do it literally everywhere around here every single day. Through or over, the fences mean nothing to them. They go where they want to go, just like a deer. Then, being one to not leave anything alone ever, you try to claim that because I and others won't bend to your ridiculous assertions, that we're destroying all of hunting. Not being satisfied with that, you also start attacking purity itself. What kind of narcissist wants to sit and argue on behalf of the lesser things and vilify the better things? Someone that wants to make himself feel better about making poor choices, and compromising on things that shouldn't be compromised on... that's who.

Shooting Aoudad in a herd, and taking out a kid in the process, then LYING about it on camera and saying you waited for them to clear. Loading ammo so hot you can't open your bolt, in a clear attempt to push velocity to levels it shouldn't be. Continually attacking everyone here personally, instead of attacking their argument. Joining up with anti-lead anti-hunting groups to participate in any capacity with anti's promotion of faulty studies directed SOULY at attacking hunters. Advocating that high fence hunting isn't indeed lesser than open wild hunting. Ignoring all evidence that you're flat wrong on a subject, clearly indicating that if you'll do that once, you'll do it always when it suits you. You think hunters are all on the same team? Well we're not. I will rightly condemn some idiot chasing a deer down across a field with a pickup, poking a rifle out the window and shooting it. I'll condemn that as well as countless other idiotic practices that the people engaged in those types of things will try to justify.

If there's a downfall of this hunting heritage we all participate in, it's those of low character doing low character activities that will be the cause. NOT those looking to advance the purity of the discipline. I certainly don't think high fence hunting qualifies as low character, but it certainly isn't on the same level as true wild fair chase. That's not a fact open for debate.

Now it's important to mention I'm far from being faultless. When I was younger, I too engaged in methods of hunting that were of low character. Commonplace and widely accepted, but still of low character. That's what I was taught to do. It wasn't until much later that I had a chance to learn about better ways. I've never done something as stupid as take a shot at a big game animal with another animal immediately behind it... but I have jumped deer and went for the texas heart shot on the run. Stupid, and there's no justification for it. I was wrong, pure and simple. It didn't feel wrong at the time, and I didn't know any better... but it doesn't change the fact that it was wrong. It's not even up for debate.

When I learned of better ways, I set about trying to incorporate those better ways. Then as that understanding evolved, it paved the way to better ways still. This is how people should try to be. Not continually making justifications for the lesser forms, but aiming at the highest modes they can envision, and working steadfastly to see those aims achieved. We will all have our failures, but claiming those with the highest aims will be the destruction of our sport is a cowardly, ignorant, and patently false statement. Ignoring facts and trying to bend reality to suit twisted justifications doesn't deserve praise. It demands condemnation.

It is very obvious to me at this point that the majority of the population will not forego themselves. They will not deny themselves instant gratification. Not when hunting, nor anything else. So it does no one any good to remain silent. When you know the truth, silence is a lie. Often the only way we'll learn is if someone that knows better than us, says something.

Your continued actions across a year of time have taken someone that used to wish for your success, and caused me to be ashamed to ever have had anything to do with you or recommended your bullets to anyone. Do you care about that? You may not, and you have no obligation to me... but you're headed down a wrong road and it's obvious. You're the only one that can change it. It's my sincere hope that you do indeed find the will to be better. To stop perpetuating untruth. I've done many wrong things in my life. None of which I'd like to see repeated in my life, and none of which I can justify. Yet if you'd like to be better, you first need to start understanding when you are wrong. If someone was making false claims about your bullets, or someone else's product, I'd spend (and have spent) just as much effort correcting them if I knew the truth and they clearly did not.

Maybe this post will cause you to think. Maybe it will cause you to just dig in deeper. Either way, I've said my piece and I will not be interacting with you or anyone that has anything to do with you again unless I see some drastic adherence to fact show up in your behavior. You don't have to atone here for your past misdeeds... but you will atone for them. You can choose to do that on your own accord, and it will be easier... but you will not get away with any of it regardless. What is important is whether you continue this way, or you decide to be better. If you think the accolades of countless other people that also refuse to hold themselves to a higher standard will count as justification to continue your lack of standard, you're sorely mistaken.

High and continually higher standards, are what we are meant to pursue. We are to help others realize those higher standards as well, and we only condemn them when they have been made aware of the higher aim, and refuse to move toward it. These things are not opinions are open to discussion. Everyone knows whether a standard is better or worse than another. How they behave in the face of it directly reflects their character.

At the very least, you can no longer say you are unaware of the issues at hand. So if you still insist on choosing poorly, the consequences that come with them will be far worse. There are no shortage of people that are trying to justify their compromised sense of things, and they'll vilify me and come to your defense. Just as it has always been. That won't change what is. It certainly won't change my hope for people to be better and stop justifying the lesser.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Well said, Greg.

Well if you catch some, drop them in a fish tank, feed them a bunch of protein for a year, then catch one in your fish tank and tell us all about it, then you'd probably be more apples to apples. Oh and how great the hook was that you caught them in the fish tank with…

Then Maybe the manufacturer of the hook will come on and tell us fish don't jump out of the water…

Hope you catch a big one!

Last edited:
Orkan - I believe this qualifies as one of top ten longest posts I have ever read. I understand your point and opinions. You could have summed it up by saying "I disagree and please do better ". I try not to judge people as long as they are conducting themselves within the laws of the land. I'm open to active criticism when there are statements and behavior that should be called out. However, there is a point where personal beliefs and judgment of others can cross the line into unneeded attacks. This works both ways. This is my "experience and not theory".
On a side note, I respect your knowledge and experience in the hunting and shooting world. Please continue to share your knowledge with members here. I've missed your participation.

I personally didn't know "hammer" bullets even existed and I have no idea what you affiliation is with them. What I do know is that you can't seem to form a decent argument for high fence hunting in the US. I've been to South Africa. I was totally disgusted to see the whole damned place is high fenced and resembled nothing of the wilderness I read about as a child. I didn't shoot ANYTHING. Both of my sons did, but they were 11 and 12 and had not tempered an ideology about any of that yet. The "hunting" consisted of driving around while sitting in the back of a Land Rover until you see what you want to SHOOT. An animal I've always wanted in the worst way is a big kudu. We saw a GIANT while driving around one day. It stood less than 20yds from the vehicle looking at us. The PH asked if I wanted it. LAUGHABLE.
I've built and hunted with "self" bows for a long time. I've never dreamed of lobbying against compounds. Hell, crossbows are legal here now. You still have to get CLOSE and that's what bow hunting is about to me. Anyway, keep grasping at straws and maybe one day you will catch one.
You label it a "successful hunt on a texas ranch". How many people would have even bothered to open the thread if you had labeled it "buck killed on texas deer farm"? That's what it is……..PERIOD.
I am one of the owners of Hammer Bullets. I did not realize that I am now supposed to be an advocate for high fence hunting. I personally don't care how people choose to hunt. I could be wrong, but I think most hunts that are done in TX through a concession are behind high fence. There are many different ways of hunting out there. They are not all for everyone. I have been to South Africa 4 times now and TX twice. We will be going back to TX again in Feb with Christian Outdoor Alliance, https://www.mycoa.org/hunting. We will be going back to Africa in May with Trophy Game Safari, http://www.tgsafari.co.za/. Our experience in TX has been hunting from blinds and spot and stalk. TGS safaris don't shoot from vehicles. They use blinds for archery only. Rifle is often spotted from vehicles but always drive away from the animals and stalk from there. So that the animals don't associate the vehicles with hunting. Prior to hunting with both of these outfits I too had a pretty negative perception of high fence. We always called them a pet and shoot. I have not had a poor experience with these outfits as you had in Africa. I certainly would not call them tough hunts. I have worn out a lot of pairs of boots hunting in the Rocky Mountains of MT. I will continue to do so as long as my body will let me. Our business has afforded us the opportunity to hunt diff places across the US and internationally that I never dreamed this MT farm boy would ever get to do. We just booked a trophy bull elk hunt in NM next fall with Black Mountain Outfitters Inc. I don't expect that it will be nearly as strenuous as when we hunt on our own here in MT but because of the amount of land that they control, our odds of getting very big bulls are much higher than we would have on our own here in MT. I am guessing that makes me a "lesser hunter" too. We hunted in Australia last July. That was different than anything I have ever experienced. In a week and a half we shot over 140 animals. That was in the Northern Outback. We are planning to go back in 2025 to West Australia to hunt camels, donkeys, horses, and pigs. Mostly camels. It is so remote there that we will have to helicopter into a remote camp. They say it is nothing to shoot 100 camels in a day. We will have to bring reloading supplies in order to not run out of ammo. This culling at a level that I can't imagine. They have a terrible feral animal problem there. There is potential that we may get paid for each camel we take. I don't know but I am guessing this too will make me a lessor hunter in some peoples eyes.

The name of the concession was in the original post. Nobody was trying to hide anything or trick anyone into reading the post. The title of the thread is Kyle's Trophy Buck and the first line in the thread says that the buck was taken at Cotton Mesa Trophy Whitetail Ranch in Richland TX. I don't know anything about them other than I looked at their website after people here got their undies in a twist. Says it is a 4200 acre ranch. Here is the link to their website, again. You can look them up or even contact them and find out for yourself how they run their operation. https://www.cottonmesawhitetail.com/

Back in the early 90's the Montana Bow Hunters Assoc did back a proposal for either or and shortened archery seasons in order to implement a traditional only season. It pitted the traditional archers against the compound archers. It was a big deal.

Orkan - I believe this qualifies as one of top ten longest posts I have ever read. I understand your point and opinions. You could have summed it up by saying "I disagree and please do better ". I try not to judge people as long as they are conducting themselves within the laws of the land. I'm open to active criticism when there are statements and behavior that should be called out. However, there is a point where personal beliefs and judgment of others can cross the line into unneeded attacks. This works both ways. This is my "experience and not theory".
On a side note, I respect your knowledge and experience in the hunting and shooting world. Please continue to share your knowledge with members here. I've missed your participation.
I think I understand the spirit of your post, but I do kindly disagree. I don't believe anyone is helped by the "I disagree, do better" type responses. No different than if I'm trying to get someone to seat a bullet correctly, I'm going to spell it out as definitely as I can... rather than just tell them "seat the bullet right." ;) I might say that if I truly were not wanting them to be better, however.

To improve, we need to have a firm understanding of where we're failing. I wish people would have made that kind of effort for me when I was engaging in lesser ways back in the day. I might not have wanted to hear it either, but it wouldn't have changed the fact that I needed to hear it. Yet this doesn't change the fact that when someone hears something they need to hear, but don't want to hear, the vast majority of people will simply vilify the person saying it. As we've seen, it's no different in this thread.

People claim to want to be better, and have better performance... but they are unwilling to change anything to get there. This is true of those people in all things.

I also feel like people make a mistake when they think we aren't suppose to judge others. We are, and there is direction for this in the instruction manual for life. We're suppose to use our discernment to judge rightly, and avoid those that would serve to lessen us. This doesn't mean we abandon hope for them, as I do sincerely hope that people being led astray eventually come to do what is right. However it is their choice, and theirs alone. I'm not attacking a person here, I'm attacking their ways, with a sincere hope that they are changed. Though there is a limit to the energy I'm willing to expend to get someone to see error in their ways if they remain unrepentant.

However, I like to view things objectively. What part of my post do you feel is an "unneeded attack?" Weighing the typical tone and frequency of that tone in Steve's posts on here over the past year, do you really feel that it was an attack, or instead perhaps an unpleasant truth?

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I should leave it alone but...What position am I taking that is indefensible? Also I did say they sometimes jump. What more do you want? The guide on the aoudad hunt cleared the shot before it was taken. Everyone there at the time thought the shot was clear. Nobody knew the lamb was there until after we recovered the ram. Nobody there was happy about it. Technically they could have charged me for two sheep but did not because nothing was done with malice or recklessness. There was about 10 min of waiting for that shot to clear and unfortunately we all made a mistake. The rifle used in the video was not loaded hot. It had a rough chamber that sometimes would make primary extraction difficult. Wby has since polished the chamber and now the problem doesn't exist.

I guess where you are cattle fences do not influence the movement of pronghorn. I can assure you that they do here in MT. I did not accuse you of anything. Particularly I did not accuse you of using high fence to hunt pronghorn. I asked if you used cattle fence when you hunt them. Nothing more. The only thing that you said, before this post, that got my ire up was equating hunters that hunt differently than you do as lesser hunters. That pretty much offensive on a grand scale. I think we probably agree more than not on hunter ethics.

I was never bothered by the fact that you could not get the .1-.2 moa with Hammers in you carry weight rifles like you do with other bullets. There isn't many bench rest rifles that can shoot that well. No worries there. You didn't have to pay for them. I think we gave you a thousand of them? We were willing to participate in the experiment of barrel wear.

Somehow I have now been labeled as an advocate for high fence operations and it is being pointed out that I am unable to justify my position. I am no such advocate. All I did was react to people degrading the hunter that sent us pics and video, of his successful hunt, for us to post.

We have never teamed up with any anti hunting organizations. That is just simply false. We participated in a documentary about birds of prey and lead poisoning. The documentary wanted to be able to give hunters information about alternative bullets if they wanted to change to a lead free option and not have to give up performance. We had an agreement that we would not participate in the documentary if it showed any kind of anti hunting agenda. We were able to view the final cut of the film before it was published. It does not show any kind of anti hunting agenda.

Hope you all have a great day. I am getting a new granddaughter, hopefully this evening. So, my day is great regardless of what goes on here.

I am one of the owners of Hammer Bullets. I did not realize that I am now supposed to be an advocate for high fence hunting. I personally don't care how people choose to hunt. I could be wrong, but I think most hunts that are done in TX through a concession are behind high fence. There are many different ways of hunting out there. They are not all for everyone. I have been to South Africa 4 times now and TX twice. We will be going back to TX again in Feb with Christian Outdoor Alliance, https://www.mycoa.org/hunting. We will be going back to Africa in May with Trophy Game Safari, http://www.tgsafari.co.za/. Our experience in TX has been hunting from blinds and spot and stalk. TGS safaris don't shoot from vehicles. They use blinds for archery only. Rifle is often spotted from vehicles but always drive away from the animals and stalk from there. So that the animals don't associate the vehicles with hunting. Prior to hunting with both of these outfits I too had a pretty negative perception of high fence. We always called them a pet and shoot. I have not had a poor experience with these outfits as you had in Africa. I certainly would not call them tough hunts. I have worn out a lot of pairs of boots hunting in the Rocky Mountains of MT. I will continue to do so as long as my body will let me. Our business has afforded us the opportunity to hunt diff places across the US and internationally that I never dreamed this MT farm boy would ever get to do. We just booked a trophy bull elk hunt in NM next fall with Black Mountain Outfitters Inc. I don't expect that it will be nearly as strenuous as when we hunt on our own here in MT but because of the amount of land that they control, our odds of getting very big bulls are much higher than we would have on our own here in MT. I am guessing that makes me a "lesser hunter" too. We hunted in Australia last July. That was different than anything I have ever experienced. In a week and a half we shot over 140 animals. That was in the Northern Outback. We are planning to go back in 2025 to West Australia to hunt camels, donkeys, horses, and pigs. Mostly camels. It is so remote there that we will have to helicopter into a remote camp. They say it is nothing to shoot 100 camels in a day. We will have to bring reloading supplies in order to not run out of ammo. This culling at a level that I can't imagine. They have a terrible feral animal problem there. There is potential that we may get paid for each camel we take. I don't know but I am guessing this too will make me a lessor hunter in some peoples eyes.

The name of the concession was in the original post. Nobody was trying to hide anything or trick anyone into reading the post. The title of the thread is Kyle's Trophy Buck and the first line in the thread says that the buck was taken at Cotton Mesa Trophy Whitetail Ranch in Richland TX. I don't know anything about them other than I looked at their website after people here got their undies in a twist. Says it is a 4200 acre ranch. Here is the link to their website, again. You can look them up or even contact them and find out for yourself how they run their operation. https://www.cottonmesawhitetail.com/

Back in the early 90's the Montana Bow Hunters Assoc did back a proposal for either or and shortened archery seasons in order to implement a traditional only season. It pitted the traditional archers against the compound archers. It was a big deal.
You don't know much of anything about the REAL Texas. I'm in the lower panhandle where ranches are still measured in tens of THOUSANDS of acres. I have one neighbor that is 32k acres and one that is 57k acres. There is a high fence in the neighborhood that I disgustingly refer to as the petting zoo. So many animals stacked in such a small pen that it is quite literally DIRT and not much more. Story I hear is that an oil man with deep pockets set it up for his son who is a taxidermist. They fly people in to "hunt" and the son gets to mount all the "trophies". I pray all the time that a tornado will take that fence down and at least let those animals have something to eat! It's criminal really. They have a catch pen attached to the petting zoo that they plant wheat in. When the mule deer come in there they close the gates and force them into the "BIG pen" that is about 150 acres. I witnessed them doing it one day and pulled my pickup over in the ditch, flagged them down, and not so graciously told them If they opened the gate into the "big pen" there would be an *** whopping coming! I honestly and sincerely thought it was against the law! I called the game warden and he advised that the way they were doing it was in fact legal at this time…..albeit highly unethical.
In the end What it boils down to is the fact that there are sportsmen who long for adventure and couch potatoes that long to kill something by the easiest means possible.
This next statement will show that I truly don't care what venue it is, I say what I think. I have a small machine shop at home and started building rifles about 25 years ago because I was always after more accuracy than was available from the factory. I built many match winning short range BR guns and long range match rifles and all the while most of my hunting was done with a self made self bow. I like a challenge wether it be shooting a distant target, shooting a tiny group, or getting close enough to an animal to kill it with a homemade bow. I hunt mostly with a handgun now and I don't mess with rifles much anymore. I'm beginning to dabble in building up revolvers. I will say this, being PROFICIENT with a handgun takes far more skill and discipline than anything I've ever done with a rifle! Flame away.

Last edited:
What a ridiculous comparison

You don't know much of anything about the REAL Texas. I'm in the lower panhandle where ranches are still measured in tens of THOUSANDS of acres. I have one neighbor that is 32k acres and one that is 57k acres. There is a high fence in the neighborhood that I disgustingly refer to as the petting zoo. So many animals stacked in such a small pen that it is quite literally DIRT and not much more. Story I hear is that an oil man with deep pockets set it up for his son who is a taxidermist. They fly people in to "hunt" and the son gets to mount all the "trophies". I pray all the time that a tornado will take that fence down and at least let those animals have something to eat! It's criminal really. They have a catch pen attached to the petting zoo that they plant wheat in. When the mule deer come in there they close the gates and force them into the "BIG pen" that is about 150 acres. I witnessed them doing it one day and pulled my pickup over in the ditch, flagged them down, and not so graciously told them If they opened the gate into the "big pen" there would be an *** whopping coming! I honestly and sincerely thought it was against the law! I called the game warden and he advised that the way they were doing it was in fact legal at this time…..albeit highly unethical.
In the end What it boils down to is the fact that there are sportsmen who long for adventure and couch potatoes that long to kill something by the easiest means possible.
This next statement will show that I truly don't care what venue it is, I say what I think. I have a small machine shop at home and started building rifles about 25 years ago because I was always after more accuracy than was available from the factory. I built many match winning short range BR guns and long range match rifles and all the while most of my hunting was done with a self made self bow. I like a challenge wether it be shooting a distant target, shooting a tiny group, or getting close enough to an animal to kill it with a homemade bow. I hunt mostly with a handgun now and I don't mess with rifles much anymore. I'm beginning to dabble in building up revolvers. I will say this, being PROFICIENT with a handgun takes far more skill and discipline than anything I've ever done with a rifle! Flame away.
No flame needed. I am certainly no TX expert. I've been there twice! Down around Del Rio. We caught way more illegals than animals. I think your post is right on. What you describe about the petting zoo sounds terrible. I got to visit a place there that raises exotics and sells them to hunting concessions. They were bigger than what you described but they really don't do any hunting there. Only if animals need to be culled. More like killing than hunting. It was interesting to see their breeding program. If I understand correctly it is no longer legal to bring in exotics to the state and has been that way for a long time. The exotics that are in TX are all decedents of the time when it was legal.

I still put about 50 miles a hunting season on my boots here in MT. I very much look forward to it every year. Like I said before, I have now been afforded the opportunity to go hunt different places that do things much different than the way I have always hunted in MT. I have come to the conclusion that there lots of different ways to hunt than what we do here in MT. Prior to going to TX we hunted OK. Tree stands and bait sites with corn. Way diff than here. Not legal here. Nor do I think it should be. In Australia they are really big on running dogs on pigs and stabbing them with a knife. Seemed like every other truck had a dog box on it. I think they do this in the States too. Not really my thing but you have to admire the dogs and how good they are at it and how they love their job. I have run with dogs here in MT and shot a mountain lion out of a tree with a pistol. I wouldn't really call it hunting. It was more about the dogs. There was no challenge in shooting the cat out of a tree. It was fun for the few years that I did it.

I plan to shoot a nilgia on the next trip to TX. Cool animal that is one of the best tasting meat I have ever had. Last trip I was not able to find one.

Explain the difference between an angus bull locked in a pasture and a "trophy" buck locked in a pasture.

To answer your question, the obvious answer is the baited animal has the chance to leave. The other is locked in an enclosure waiting for death.
I guess you have never hunted a high fence that's 20k plus acres? I've hunted both they are what they are and each one is fun in its own right. The one I frequent the most is great for people who have a hard time getting out. They do a ton of good for wounded vets and special needs kids.

So please stop
Lol you seem to forget that I actually use your bullets 😂😂😂

If I hated them I would post the message I got from your main tester guy about how he's had and seen many failures and has to use "bandaids" to make them work correctly.

I've never liked high fence "trophies ", so that's nothing new.

If the shooter used a different bullet would you be defending his high fence trophy? I highly doubt you would even like the picture. So, who is the pathetic one?
At some point I feel I could be a main "tester" Very few people if any have killed more game with hammer than myself. I'd love to see what the issues are and what the band aid is. Have I lost an animal yep. Was it the bullet hard to say because game wasn't recovered. More than likely it was me. The vast amount of game I've taken with them that I have recovered show great consistency. Even feeding in AR platforms.

I've also used the heck out of many other bullets. We have good choices let's leave it at that.

First let me start by saying Awsome buck. For me I'm not big on the breed deer but get why people are drawn to them. Second who cares if it's taken high fence. You people that have such a big issue with it that you feel the need to post bad about someone's proud moment are sad. Or maybe you never have hunted a high fence of any decent size. I can say I've hunted free range in many states and high fence in Texas. I can say I've had to hunt much harder in some 20k plus acre high fence than free range for what I want.

All hunting is fun to some degree. If it's not for you who cares. Don't post. Especially the ones that you know are posting just because they don't like hammers. Same guys that get all but hurt if you had an issue with the way Bergers perform. I've shot both one I prefer but I don't go trashing the others every chance I get. It's like the hate the creedmore gets. Nothing wrong with them.

Lastly I have a good friend who runs a great high fence that charges huge money for bucks. But that allows him to spend a fortune and provide hunting opportunities to New hunters, Purple Heart recipients, and special needs youth. All at no charge to get them introduced or into the woods in general. So every time one of you takes a sht on a place like this it may sway someone not to go. They don't get out so we lose a hunter and maybe you have removed the funding for a special needs child to get out.

I'd suggest thinking of that next time you wanna crap on any style of hunting "You" don't like.
I for one will keep enjoying any "hunting"someone is will to post and be proud of.