Kuiu.....bummed out....

SidecarFlip

Well, I went and ripped my rain pants crossing a barbed wire fence line in Montana (just a small tear in the crotch) but a tear none the less. My wife can't mend them so I called Kuiu. Keep in mind that I have at least 4 grand in Kuiu gear so it's not like I'm a small time buyer...

Anyway called Kuiu and found out they don't repair their clothing, that I have to go to another outfit to get them repaired. I guess 'service after the sale' don't apply to Kuiu,........ IMO, that is a poor business model.

Additionally, they were running a sale on clothing while I was out in Montana and when I logged in the Super Down Vests were sold out and I can't get a rain check either....

Double bummer.

It's nice stuff but their 'after sale' attitude sucks.

End of rant.:)

Got me checking out their stuff. Does look good.

They have this statement at the bottom of the warranty section. Check it out.

In the event that your gear becomes damaged due to any of the above reasons, please contact Rainy Pass Repair for evaluation and repair options. Rainy Pass Repair can also give a third-party opinion as to whether or not the damage should be covered under warranty.

Rainy Pass Repair, Inc.

888-747-7867

Hours M-F 9-6 (Pacific Time)

4415 Stone Way North

Seattle, WA 98103

Exactly where I was referred to. I actually called Kuiu (probably should have asked for Jason but didn't) and the sales person in customer service who answered my call was very curt on the phone. I came away with a less than warm feeling about the conversation.

So now begins the saga of getting them repaired. I don't care about replacement, I ripped them, my fault (better than my nut sack...lol). My wife is a good seamstress, but not with that material....

I called them yesterday, no answer. not to be unexpected over Turkey Day. I'll call them Monday and see where we go.....

For $188 bucks, I want 'em fixed.

Kuiu is excellent stuff, quiet, light and very packable... and expensive. Certainly not Cabelas caliber....way past that.

Once I got into Kuiu, my Cabelas stuff went in the back of the closet.

Not bitch'in, just came away with a not to fuzzy feeling.

I'll keep everyone apprised of the process but I'm thinking that Rainy Day probably does (or did) all the physical work on Kuiu gear. I know the fabric comes from Japan and were assembled here at one time but I had heard that the garments were made there now.

Jason has an excellent line of hunting clothing.

Have no doubt, Kuiu is excellent hunting gear and very compact and light. I can pack all I need to wear layer wise in one pocket of my Ebrelstock back pack... Thats Merino wool undies, superdown pants, superdown hooded jacket and Guide pants and jacket and the whole thing weighs maybe 3 pounds.

Guess I'll have to pay retail for a Superdown vest, some you win, some you loose but even at full retail, it's a good buy.

Just how much of a loss do you'd think that'd be? :D

At my age...... 65, not much of a loss. I actually said that to my guide, he was holding down the wire with his boot when I went through. For my sake, just don't let it snap up.....:D

Just got a small rip in my pants, right in the 'personal' spot.:)

Was all good though. Took a non-typical 6 point drop tine Mule Deer after the close encounter with the fence......

He's at Powder River Taxidermy getting a shoulder mount (I'm gonna put him in the master bedroom above the bed):D...

.....and the rest is in the freezer in the garage courtesy of Terry at Broadus Meats, minus a couple sleeves of ground meat that my wife made into dog treats....

When the pictures come in from the outfitter, I'll post them up. Outfitter was Sizzlin S. Great guys, had a fantastic time and will book again.

There clothing used to be sewn in Canada, now it's made in China. Fabrics come from multiple suppliers/countries. Rainy Day is just an outsource sew shop for repairs.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.