Kodiak brown bear rifle

KB,
You might consider starting a Thread of your own? RH300UM's purpose for initiating this thread has largely been obliterated.

Actually, his question was what type caliber to use. There are many opinions I have been discussing a few.

All I have been saying all along is that you can kill a Kodiak with standard rifles like the 300 Win Mag or even a bow, which has been done often enough.

I will say this, I am not a big poster here and only got involved in this thread because I used to hunt bears as a hobby and know what I am talking about. I am guilty of being overly enthusiastic in my opinions when it comes to bear hunting. Should not have said anything and not gotten involved with this thread at all, I learned my lesson!

In any case I will not post here again, I do not want to bum anyone out and apologize to RH300UM if my opinions put a damper on your thread!

Although I have apologised with overly posting my opinions on this thread, I stand behind everything I have posted. I would have no issues hunting Kodiaks with my bow with backup, or with my 300 Win Mag without backup.

Cheers and happy hunting to all!

KB

Last edited:
I've spent years thinking about a Kodiak hunt and just as many years reading everything I could get my hands on from experienced Alaskan guides and regular hunters of the big monsters.

I know for a great many who live in Kodiak country their choice of weapon for bear protection is the trusty old M1A shooting heavy round nosed solids.

Most of the guides seem to prefer .338wm or larger.

The guy I respected the most said he wanted clients to bring what they were comfortable and confident with in the filed as long as it was a 7mm RM or larger caliber.

Personally I would probably choose either one of my 7mm STW's or 300wm's simply because I love them and they have never let me down even on very large African game.

I'd probably keep the long rifle in my pack as we were moving and carry my 45/70 Marlin Guide Gun as we moved along "just in case". It delivers a great deal of deep penetrating energy with good accuracy out to a maximum of about 200yds due to the short barrel.

They are an amazing and awesome animal with a reputation for being able to absorb a lot of lead if not hit exactly right but we also have to keep in mind that not so long ago they were regularly hunted with 44 and 45 caliber black powder cartriges quite successfully which delivered less than half the power of our modern magnums.

Prior to that our ancestors hunted them with pointy sticks for over 10,000 years.

I've learned over the years that if I want the best advice possible about hunting a given species I'm going to spend most of my time listening to the guys who have several decades of success in doing so under their belts. KB is certainly one of those guys so whether you agree or disagree he's worth listening to because he's killed more big bears than most of us will ever see.

I've learned over the years that if I want the best advice possible about hunting a given species I'm going to spend most of my time listening to the guys who have several decades of success in doing so under their belts. KB is certainly one of those guys so whether you agree or disagree he's worth listening to because he's killed more big bears than most of us will ever see.

As with most things in life I don't know about or have experience with I seek out those that do have the experience and valid advice.
My life is a constant learning experience. Seeking knowledge and experiences.
I try to listen to all advice given. Sift through it and apply it to benifit myself and to share it where I can. I as a human I fail repeatedly in many areas of this equation. Failure is also a important part of learning.
As I get older this failure rate is given a more annilitical approach to speed up the intended goal for success.
I thank all those who contribute to my posts on this forum. I believe they help me be successful.
While all of us do not agree on certain points of Veiw or how it's presented I believe there is something to learn from everyone.
Sorry if this sounds preachy but it is the way my outlook on life corresponds to my love for the outdoors and the Great people I meet along the way.
Thanks again.
Keep smilin

"Sorry if this sounds preachy but it is the way my outlook on life corresponds to my love for the outdoors and the Great people I meet along the way.
Thanks again.
Keep smiling"

Don't apologize RH300UM, just go out and live your dream. I am with you 100% whatever caliber you settle on!

Best regards,

KB

I just recently picked up a rifle, not because I have any real near-term need for it, but because if I find myself in a similar situation to yours, I'll be covered. It's a Winchester 70 classic stainless in 375 H&H. It's a big jump from my 30-06s to a 375 but if the right hunt comes along, I'll know I have enough gun (plus I couldn't pass up the deal).

Starting this thread up again.
Rifle will a 375 rum built by Travis at RBros rifles.
Now the input I am after is bullet selection.
This opportunity has grown into a HUGE life changing event.
This rifle will be a GUIDE rifle. Used for all Alaskan game.
So now the " one bullet that does it all " search starts.
Possible brown bear charges at point blank to 500-600 yards on moose or caribou

So let me hear your input. All of it.

If it were me I would go with the 300 grain Accubond... they've worked for me with the best all around performance near and far.

What barrel twist are you running? Anything faster than the 12", the 329 Hammer Hunter will do everything very effectively. Should be a great combo.
Brian

Twist is definitely the place to start.

Sportsmans Warehouse has the 300 Accubonds. Online, and the store here has at least one box on the shelf last week.

Brian kind of curious, the 329 should be excellent, provided the twist is correct, where would you place the 395 in the conversation.

Any time frame on rifle in hand?

I should put my list up so those on this thread can see it and comment and add to it.
300 grain Swift A-Frame
300 grain Nosler Accubond
329 grain Hammer

Sportsmans Warehouse has the 300 Accubonds. Online, and the store here has at least one box on the shelf last week.

Brian kind of curious, the 329 should be excellent, provided the twist is correct, where would you place the 395 in the conversation.

The 395 would need a 10" twist and have a tough time mag feeding. The 329 was designed for exactly what this thread is about and the 375 RUM type rifles and down.

Steve

1-12 twist
Fall of 2017 or there abouts for the rifle.
Really sportsmans? I just looked at Sportsmans site before I posted this