Kodiak brown bear rifle

Trust me, the big boars have monster balls too. Won't be no one-upping them in that category.

trust me, the big boars have monster balls too. Won't be no one-upping them in that category.

lmao Very true!!!

@ 13 feet I blew a big bores lungs and liver out with a shotgun and 3" magnum federal high shock express slugs, he still ran about 75 yards. Poor bastard!

This is another option, for ball shots, deep penetration and fatal!

Nitro Venom Dusk in .177 cal, HEHEHE

SEGF0LLl.jpg

Photo of the bears ball at 10 yards:

xEkcMjAl.jpg

ALL KIDDING ASIDE:

I just bought this Weatherby Mark V Ultra Light 300 Win Mag and customized it with a 3 contour Wilson Barrel. I would use it in a heartbeat! Using Nosler Accubonds 190 Gr. ABLR's fpe. @ 300 yards: 2,532

SiUGkkgl.jpg

My recommendation is more general and not confined to a specific cartridge.

I would look at big bores (416 to .500) because of there knock down power. Brown bear are
very dangerous and you need to put them down hard with one shot. big bores will do this very well.

There are lots of choices and I would make sure I had enough rifle. if you have time, look for something that will sell after you make the hunt so if you never go again you have not bought something that you will be stuck with. stay with something like the 416 rem, 416 Rigby, 458 win
very capable but not a safe queen. Also ammo can be bought more easily.

The 375 H&H would be the smallest I would use and even though lots have been killed with smaller
cartridges rarely do they go straight to the ground.

For a once in a lifetime hunt, you should go with more than just enough rifle. There is no such thing
as over kill when it comes to something like brown bear.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Move to the black gun and run a .458 socom. 45-70 in an at platform. 30 round mag gives you 10 300gr cutting edge raptors moving about 1900 fps I'd have to check my sheets again. You can put lots of rounds on target fast. I'm taking mine for bear this year. Hard to beat for short ranges.

Wish I were you! Don't overthink it, bears are made of flesh not concrete. A good gun and excellent shot placement will do the trick! Cant wait to see the pictures!!! :) gun)

I have not ran into these big bears and while I like a big canon having hunted elk with some wompers I do know that you can go so big that it's hard to recover and get back on the animal, not sure but I would think a guy would want to keep the build of the rifle and chambering in a package that not only would have power but handle to get you back up on them fast.

Big bears are incredibly fast, I had to go into the alders after a wounded griz that was hit with a 270, his back up had a 458 already shouldered and didn't have time to get off a shot. This bear was finally dead after being hit by a 270 at least once, a 458 and a 375 H&H. I've never been a fan of going after wounded bears. I use 300 gr A-Frames out of a 375 H&H and I've never felt over gunned. I don't need to leave home to see bears and a member of our church had to shoot 3 brown bears one morning in defense of life and property. about a mile form my place. There was a sow that went over 8' squared and a couple of boars that had been fighting over her and each of them was better than 9', he put them down with a 45-70 lever gun.

Gus

Talked with 2 of my buddies. One of them is the guide I am going with and the other one is a retired guide of 23 years in Alaska.
Both suggested a 375 with 300 a frames.
My shot will be 200 yards or under. Most likey closer.
They both said its. Not the size of the cartridge/rifle but how well you shot it. Not gust the first shot but the follow up shots also.

Talked with 2 of my buddies. One of them is the guide I am going with and the other one is a retired guide of 23 years in Alaska.
Both suggested a 375 with 300 a frames.
My shot will be 200 yards or under. Most likey closer.
They both said its. Not the size of the cartridge/rifle but how well you shot it. Not gust the first shot but the follow up shots also.

Agreed! Sometimes the follow-up shot(s) is/are more important than the 1st, esp when it comes to dangerous games.

Sounds very exciting ... good luck and happy safe hunting.

Cheers!

Ed

Recent Posts