Knee surgery

.gacton

Was in the process of getting ready for a Colorado elk hunt this fall. Twisted wrong at work, ended up having knee surgery this past Friday. Meniscus repair, as well as repaired some old damage to a tendon. Told my surgeon about the trip. He said to be ready to work hard if I wanted to make it. I told him I've been working hard for almost 56 years, and this is a once in a lifetime trip for me! Wish me luck.

Recovery from Meniscus and tendon work is frustrating. Just stay positive. Sounds like you are pretty active and capable now. When PT is done with you, you won't be 100% back to post injury. Insurance will only pay for so much pt. Just be ready to self motivate and work hard after pt. Your Doc is right, with hard work you'll be ready to go. Sounds like your ready to do the work and to make the trip. Good luck

LIke others have said, PT is your friend so is a bike and later a couple of walking sticks. You should be ready to rock come fall just fine. I'm 62 and have had 6 knee surgeries. One was a total replacement and have one more total replacement to go.

Stay the course don't skip one second of your work out. Do they have you using a Continous motion machine?

Was in the process of getting ready for a Colorado elk hunt this fall. Twisted wrong at work, ended up having knee surgery this past Friday. Meniscus repair, as well as repaired some old damage to a tendon. Told my surgeon about the trip. He said to be ready to work hard if I wanted to make it. I told him I've been working hard for almost 56 years, and this is a once in a lifetime trip for me! Wish me luck.
Been there done that . It sucks I know but don't give up . Be diligent on PT . Stay focused on getting stronger . All the hard work will totally be worth it . God speed on recovery. Good luck

When the doc. gives you a green light, use the stationary bike.

It is your way to a good outcome. Have the PT person show you how to use it daily to make progress. Generally, you keep lowering the seat in order to get you knee into a deeper bend over time. It is a process and you want to do it the way they tell you. I liked it because even as my knee would only bend slightly at the start, I could put the seat up high and ride the bike. Each week, the seat went down a little. Time is required, but its only May, so you can do it.

LIke others have said, PT is your friend so is a bike and later a couple of walking sticks. You should be ready to rock come fall just fine. I'm 62 and have had 6 knee surgeries. One was a total replacement and have one more total replacement to go.

Stay the course don't skip one second of your work out. Do they have you using a Continous motion machine?
Replaced one knee, and now both shoulder. In PT presently on my right shoulder. With shoulders you have to be very careful not to fall on them. I knee is good to go. Keep walking. I took awhile to get my one shoulder up and going, and it will take sometime to get my other shoulder up, but better than not doing it. I have a friend that replaced both of his knees at one time. I know of others that did the same thing too.
Another friend that has now replace both hips. He hunts all the time.

Try annealing your knee. It will make it more flexible. I had that surgery and it took about a year for all pain to go away. Concentrate on keeping your leg straight and not twisting it while walking on your hunt and you'll be fine. Walk slow with deliberately placed steps.

Hang in there.
I've had 2 miniscus surgeries on each knee and it took me awhile to recover.
A tripod for a walking stick helps.... especially going downhill.

Replaced one knee, and now both shoulder. In PT presently on my right shoulder. With shoulders you have to be very careful not to fall on them. I knee is good to go. Keep walking. I took awhile to get my one shoulder up and going, and it will take sometime to get my other shoulder up, but better than not doing it. I have a friend that replaced both of his knees at one time. I know of others that did the same thing too.
Another friend that has now replace both hips. He hunts all the time.

MIke, I have my right shoulder to replace along with my left knee (the right is done) how long did it take before you could start shooting with it again? I"m talking mainly little guns, my 22/250 works for me for all that moves so that's my big gun for the most part anymore.

I started back a year ago. but I am left handed to start with. The rifle I use has a muzzle break on it presently. I haven't gotten into my other rifles yet. I was getting my left set up to use a 70lbs bow again, until now. I am hoping I will be able to use the bow again this next hunting season. I am 7 week post Op now. So I will have to see. When I am in Montana I live in Missoula. I am not a left winger either. One of the reason is I am trying to get the hell our of Mex-ilfornia completely. The problem being I have lived here at this location for 43 years. I'll be glad when I get this move completed. Just a *ell of a lot to move.