Knee surgery

I'm a righty but shoot both ways very easily Do some things lefty some things righty. I am in the works for a suppressor so that should help a bit as well. I'd love to be able to pull the bow again but not sure that'll be in the works. Living in Zoo town is better for sure but being a Cat is much better:)

Was in the process of getting ready for a Colorado elk hunt this fall. Twisted wrong at work, ended up having knee surgery this past Friday. Meniscus repair, as well as repaired some old damage to a tendon. Told my surgeon about the trip. He said to be ready to work hard if I wanted to make it. I told him I've been working hard for almost 56 years, and this is a once in a lifetime trip for me! Wish me luck.

I would recommend that you ask your orthopedic surgeon to prescribe a DON JOY Athletic knee brace that is custom fitted to your leg . These are the same braces that NFL players wear , and they will assure that you have support and protection from possible lateral , and torsional instability of your knee joint .

I wore one of these braces on a totally worn-out left knee , while hunting in Alaska , walking several miles per day on spongy tundra . It completely supported and PROTECTED my knee , until I had the knee replaced . I continued wearing the brace after the knee was replaced when I played golf to protect against lateral and torsional flexing of my knee .

Good Luck on your recovery and your Elk hunt .

DMP25-06

Hello young man, sir you are headed in the right direction, and it looks like everyone is giving you the Wright info. Went thru the shots the stretches and ended up with two knee replacements been a little over two years, but now never give up on the p t it will take you where you want to go. Good Luck

I'm a righty but shoot both ways very easily Do some things lefty some things righty. I am in the works for a suppressor so that should help a bit as well. I'd love to be able to pull the bow again but not sure that'll be in the works. Living in Zoo town is better for sure but being a Cat is much better:)
I'll be dam, I working on getting a suppressor too.

Was in the process of getting ready for a Colorado elk hunt this fall. Twisted wrong at work, ended up having knee surgery this past Friday. Meniscus repair, as well as repaired some old damage to a tendon. Told my surgeon about the trip. He said to be ready to work hard if I wanted to make it. I told him I've been working hard for almost 56 years, and this is a once in a lifetime trip for me! Wish me luck.
I've had the meniscus in both knees repaired. To get ready for that elk hunt you need to listening to your PT and work very hard to regain your range of motion in the joint. Its something the Drs don't mention this but when they cut in there your joint reacts by shortening your range of motion. With out this working you will not be able to work on your cardio very effectively. Another phenomenon I experienced was the loss of the ability to clinch my quad muscle. It took about a month of electric stim and me trying to activate the quad to regain control of my quad. I hope this doesn't happen to you but know if it does stim is your friend. In addition to PT I would focus my exercise time on Core (Abs, lower back, Obliques), hiking with a weighted pack (when you get cleared) and basic hunting leg strength. Basic hunting leg strength means things like kneeling to the ground from standing with all your gear on and standing back up with just your legs; stepping up 12-20inches with your gear on with no hand help. This sounds silly, but try it 15-20 times on each leg (when you're cleared).

You will know your limit by then and it will be critical to pretty much observe every step you take on your hunt. Good luck in your healing!

Best of luck and you can make it!

I had a meniscus repair in my late 20s in the spring and made it archery hunting in the fall. Wont rehash what everyone else has said, but PT, PT, PT!

Don't overdo it, but once you are cleared for full movement and weight bearing get out and walk. I found a school track that was rubberized and did countless laps, as initially pavement caused pressure, and trails felt a little unsteady at first.

I took it a little slower on the hunt, but did fine. I did slip on a rock at one point and twisted my knee. It scared me mostly. Once I stood up
And realized everything was fine, the hunt was much better, after that I trusted the knee more than I did the first couple days.

Heal up and go chase those critters!

Last edited:
As a retired Military Physicians Assistant I've seen some incredible rehabilitation events; I once had a soldier with a total Achilles' tendon rupture 2 month before deployment to Afghanistan. He had surgery within days and following intensive PT he was able to deploy. I can't think of a more rugged country to test a person's body and he did fine. If I could offer any advice it would be don't fool yourself into going unless you're 100%. as I'm sure your aware,having subsequent surgeries for the same issue generally have a lesser chance of achieving 100% (especially tendons) I'm sure you'll be fine and I'm personally looking forward to you posting some incredible photos of your hunting experience. Good luck and stay safe.

Thanks, everyone! I never knew how common this type of injury was. I just felt a little silly to have it happen the way it did at 55 years old. I played football for many years, through the JUCO ranks. Played catcher into junior high. Never had a major injury. I've been working on concrete for over 30 years, and that hasn't helped, either. PT started yesterday. Going again this morning. They gave me "homework" that I'll do 7 days a week. I AM GOING ON THIS HUNT. Dr. And therapist both are aware of it and are on board. It's a once in a lifetime chance with an old friend. This will be his last trip. I can't miss it. That is my motivation.

A little off the subject, but "Bowhunter" March of 2019" "My Shoulder" by Shawn W. Harding. It tell on how to get your shoulder up and I call it running.
I was working on getting my left shoulder up to power, and then figured I needed to get my right shoulder done. Shoulder you have to be more careful with starting up, and done fall on them. Shoulder were tight to start with and pain. I am getting to the end of PT now. My shoulder is coming a long just find.
I have it scanned, and hopefully PDF gets anybody that want it or needs it.

Attachments

• My Shoulder for Bowhunters.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 267
Been there tore ACL MCL and Meniscus had surgery and went on 10 day spot and stalk bear hunt in BC 10 1/2 months later. I did wear my brace, mostly out of not wanting to miss a day of hunting if I aggravated my knee. As others have said PT and homework you'll be fine.

The thing I think was the hardest for me was the trust I had to get back in my knee. It was more in my head then anything else but it took the longest for me. Good luck and I am looking forward to seeing some monster bull pictures after your hunt