Knee surgery

Dont feel like you have to keep up. When I was younger maybe 30.I was in ambush on a big 10 ' high rock,archery elk.That evening I grabbed a branch and swung down to ground like Tarzan and my knee popped. I couldnt believe it.I had ways too camp and really hurt. I had ski raced,and done many mogul competitions without hurting my knee.Had also jumped over a 100' on snow and water skis.My buddy and I left are hunt.I came back in 3 weeks,and walking in was flat but when we hit ridge,5 bulls where bugling.As I went in knee was giving me issues and I was on ten day hunt.Got in em , had small bull present,hit branch and miss.Stopped and had clear shot i didnt take.Kicked out other bull,got together with buddy all quite.He said bull coming threw timber.Well he was looking, I was at full draw looking for shot and killed one my biggest bulls.And my knee only had that day and pack out in it.Lucky I say.My knee mostly healed,lucky too.But Ive been on many hunts where the guy that barely got out of camp,or camp cook shoots bull,you know how it goes.Wish you best of luck,one my main buds had replacement in winter to be elk hunitng Hes 62 and got his best bulls in last few years,after a lifetime in the mountains

Well, it's been a long summer. Got a good report last week on the knee. Finally allowed to get back on the treadmill. Started with 20lbs. in my pack. 2% grade, 3 mph for just over 20 minutes. I guess all the time spent on the stationary bike paid off, as I wasn't winded and the knee felt good. Monday I'll up the weight a little, as well as vary the grade and speed. The knee feels good. We leave on the 26th so time is getting short! Good luck to everyone this year.
So glad your on the mend and ready to get back in the game. I knew you'll post your photos here in this thread. We're all rooting for ya. Stay safe

Was in the process of getting ready for a Colorado elk hunt this fall. Twisted wrong at work, ended up having knee surgery this past Friday. Meniscus repair, as well as repaired some old damage to a tendon. Told my surgeon about the trip. He said to be ready to work hard if I wanted to make it. I told him I've been working hard for almost 56 years, and this is a once in a lifetime trip for me! Wish me luck.
I went through the same surgery back in 2015, 6 weeks before my hunt. I would suggest the best knee brace that you can afford, knee & elbow pads and good attitude. I fell several times on my hunt and still walk with a limp today. It may take me longer to get up the hill now, but I still make it up there. Work hard on your rehab it will make a big difference on your hunt and drop as much weight as you can before your hunt.
Good Luck
Ace

Been there done that with tore up knee's surgically repaired. Best advice I can give is I had a custom brace and used trekking poles after my ACL/MCL/Meniscus repair. I could go uphill the down hill killed my knee. Trekking poles helped a lot. Set you own pace what you can tolerate without aggravating it and enjoy. I realize I am getting older now and I still love to hunt and enjoy harvesting a nice animal what ever I am hunting but try to seriously enjoy it all. I come back empty handed sometimes now with a ton of pictures to remind me of the beauty and fun I had. When I was younger it was a huge investment not that it isn't now but I felt like I had so much invested I had to push and push till I was successful now days if its a success great if not great. Good luck I hope you get a whopper...

It has taken me a while to get the courage up to post this update. Drop camp was in a beautiful valley between steep mountains. A friend and I hunted the valley floor for the first two days. Saw lots of sign, but with the daily thaw and nightly freeze, couldn't tell what was/wasn't fresh. Outfitter came in to check on us and told us we had to get up on top. It was too warm for the elk to come down. We made the decision to head up on the third day. Great experience, but big mistake. Knee was very swollen when we got back to camp (still hasn't gone back down after a couple of weeks home), and the other knee was very sore. With the information we were getting, three of us made the decision that has been eating at me ever since. We came home early. I've never been a quitter, and I hate to lose. Feel like I did both. I AM GOING BACK! I won't let that mountain get the best of me! Tag soup sucks. Two of our group stayed. One of them finally tagged out.
not sure when I'll get back, but I am going.

Attachments

• 5604BECC-7514-4CED-913F-3BF36338FA3A.jpeg
    5604BECC-7514-4CED-913F-3BF36338FA3A.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 390E7673-F42B-4A6F-89B6-54F082AB3149.jpeg
    390E7673-F42B-4A6F-89B6-54F082AB3149.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 89
  • CED80A7F-B228-4542-9F16-F84625E694D7.jpeg
    CED80A7F-B228-4542-9F16-F84625E694D7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91