Kinda sorta building a special rifle for the wife.... Thoughts?

Nikolakangrga

Well guys, my wife has been around hunting her whole life but never got into it. She finally decided she wants to step into the life style so I am planning on setting her up with a rifle. Recoil is not a HUGE issue but i would like something she is very comfortable with. It also needs to be the one rifle she can use for anything in the states she may want to hunt out to 300 yards. This is what I have come up with.

Tikka t3 lite 7mm-08
Possibly cut the barrel down to 18.5" or 19" (for easier handling)
Have the barrel magn a ported because she doesn't like the look of muzzle breaks
B&C stock (have it bedded)
Drop the trigger down to 3lbs
Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40
Talley one-piece lightweight rings

And thinking about setting it up with the 140gr accubonds.

What do you guys think about what I've planned out? I will also have the stock shortened up for her LOP. I really want it to be set up for her so she is very comfortable with it. Don't want a stupid reason for her not enjoying "the hunt".

Also what do you guys think the recoil would be like from this setup?
Thanks guys,
Nick

You might want to look at not cutting the barrel down. Once she starts shooting she might like it enough, and be good enough, to want to go farther than 300 yds. With the longer barrel she will get a higher velocity (and reduced recoil because of the extra weight) and have to dope the wind as accurately. Also, don't over look the 162 gr A-max. I have shot deer sixed game with them, and they are awesome. I completely agree with setting her up with her own rifle. That way it's set up to fit her, she will be much more comfortable, enjoy shooting more, and be much more accurate than if she just tried to use your rifle. Good shooting.

That sounds like a good setup but I agree that I wouldn't cut the barrel down. I also hate brakes/magnaporting due to the noise. I doubt a 7-08 would kick enough to bother anyone. I just got a .260 in a Savage Predator and it is a sweet gun to shoot. It has vertually no recoil with a 140 Amax at 2780fps and accuracy is outstanging.

Look at the new Savage Lady Hunter. I'm going to get one for my girls in 7mm-08. I had my Mom and my Dad's secretary try it out at the SHOT show this year, and both liked its size, shape and fit.

Savage Arms

I get what u guys are saying about cutting the barrel down. Just figured it might fit her a little better. May just let her check to see how she likes it before taking any material off the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.