Kimber Montana bedding question

njc89

I would really appreciate some advice for my first bedding job. I have an older Montana 7mm08 that I would like to epoxy bed. It is supposedly pillar bedded from the factory, though the pillars are not readily visible. It appears the factory bedding slightly covered them up. Would I likely be ok adding a very light (skim) thickness of bedding under the action and concentrating more on the recoil lug, which is a fairly loose fit? Or, should I Dremel out a little under the action and completely build it back up with the bedding elevation being flush with the pillars? Just worried I guess that adding more epoxy and resting on that kind of defeats the idea of the pillars. Thanks for the help!

The Dremel route, you'll see if the pillars exist and give the epoxy some grip. Perhaps you could do a bed job on a lesser valued rifle just to boost confidence. Good luck

Pillars exist. They paint over them.
The stock is bedded to a slave action, not the specific action on your rifle. So there will be some variances.
Some guys have had great success just skim bedding and making sure the recoil lug is bedded tight.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.