Kimber Montana modification

nebhunt

The magazine length in my Kimber Montana is too short to allow me to seat the 180gr Accubond .030 off of the lands. Has anyone else run into this problem. If so how did you fix it? Modify the current magazine or is there someone that makes an after market?

I haven't tried 180 AB's in my Montana but I do load Barnes 168 TSX's. If I load these out as far as the magazine will let me, the bullets actually stick into the lands. It's the first rifle that I've had that did that.

The magazine length in my Kimber Montana is too short to allow me to seat the 180gr Accubond .030 off of the lands. Has anyone else run into this problem. If so how did you fix it? Modify the current magazine or is there someone that makes an after market?
What cartridge are you loading for?

If it's a 300WM, you will have to load to magazine length and be happy with that, or play with your seating depth.
I have a Kimber 8400 Classic Select in 300WM and I found the best accuracy was @ 3.390" OAL with 180gr Accubonds, groups ran into an average of .3MOA, the next setting back from that I tried was @ 3.375", with average groups running into just less than .5MOA. All from 4, 5 shot groups @ 300yds.

I don't know why you want to run your bullets .030" from the lands, how do you know this length will work the best?

You have to 'play' with your seating depths to find the sweet spot in any rifle, not just use some 'magical' figure of measurement on how far the bullet is off the lands. Some rifles work great @ .100" off the lands, others work best @ .008" off the lands, you just can't tell until you test it out.
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
gun)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.