Bedding Question??

308cal

I've got a custom Rem 700 that I had built recently, it has a McMillan stock that it fits in quite well. My question is, would there be any benefit in a full bedding job, vs just bedding the recoil lug area?

Bed the recoil lug on the back side & under the action. 20200508_000023.jpg This is how my 40xb came from the factory in the 70s. Internet photo of the area that gets bedded.

Bedding the recoil lug and tang area can't hurt if done stress-free. Will it greatly improve accuracy? Usually, but not always.

Bedding the recoil lug and tang area can't hurt if done stress-free. Will it greatly improve accuracy? Usually, but not always.

I understand that, that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if there is an advantage in doing a complete skim bedding job, over just the recoil lug area? In my case, as a lot do, the stock was special ordered to the specifics of my rifle, and already fits really well.

How does it shoot now without any bedding?
Doesn't McMillan state that you shouldn't need to bed if your stock is made for your specific rifle?
If it is shooting to your expectations now, I would say do not bed.sub

Theoretically, a full length bedding is supposed to be 'better' vs only bedding the recoil lug area, but that is probably 'rifle specific'. I had a rifle that I bedded only the front area of the receiver, recoil lug area, and the first 1-2" of the barrel. This rifle shot sub .5moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.