Kimber Hunter Rifles{any good)?

Huntz

I owned several Kimber Montana`s and a 84L.Needless to say accuracy was disappointing.This was over 5 years ago.Is buying a Kimber still a crap shoot?Has anybody had experience with the Kimber Hunter model.Any information would be appreciated.Thanks ahead,Huntz

I have owned 3 or 4 and accuracy has been very good with almost all of them.
I still have a .300 WSM Mountain Ascent that is an honest 1/2 MOA rifle out to 800 yards

I own 3 in 300WM and 3 in 338WM, all were bought during the so-called QC trouble. One had a chamber issue, but was easily polished out and accuracy is very good on them all, not benchrest accuracy, but definitely fine for a lightweight skinny barrel.
Best thing about Kimbers is how the stock handles recoil, does so very well.

Cheers.

I've just tried one Kimber Hunter ( the camo stock/blackened SS barrel) in .270 Win. It shot a down vertical string, 3" for 3 shots. The bolt would extract the case, but would drop it in the receiver before it could be ejected. Over and over. I hate sending rifles back to Makers, so sold it off to a guy who wanted to play with it. I've owned 5 Kimbers through the years; an 84M Classic/7mm-08, Kimber 84L Classic .270, 8400 300 WSM Stainless Classic, a blued 8400 300 WSM Classic and this last one, the Hunter. The first three were "perfection in function and beauty". The last two were Lemons. I guess one "pays your money and takes your chances". Good Luck to you Pard.

I must be on the lucky side all Kimbers I have been around did very well. They heat up fast and number 1 barrels really can walk when hot. I generally never shoot more than two in a row. When doing load development I shot over a chrony in 3 shots strings but for fine tuning group and zero it was very slow going to prevent stringing. Like one shot cool and so forth. My 06 needed about 4 strokes with a fine stone on the edge of the bolt face as the edge was sharp and would shave brass from cases in the magazine. I only really like the Classics and could be talked into a Montana, not certain I could be talked into the Hunter just because I don't like the way the plastic stock feels.

I have a Kimber 84M .308W - re-barreled with #2 McGowen 10 twist, 21 inch, coned breach w extractor cut. The original pencil thin barrel was a no-go and the new barrel added less than 1/2 pound of weight. Right out of the box I experienced fail to fire(s). Primers only had a tiny dimple. Increasing firing pin spring tension reduced firing pin protrusion and increasing pin protrusion decreased tension - both resulting in fail to fire. The fix was to turn down the outside diameter of a .040 thick steel washer and fit the washer between spring and bolt shroud - worked great after that, so good I fired 80 rounds at 300 yard steel with 150 grain Hornady BTSP bullets, a variety of powders & primers - no fail to fire and great accuracy. That was 5 years ago when bullet stuff was available. I like the 84M stock. My 84M's ejector needs to be lightly lubed and kept clean - sort of weak spring.

Last edited:
I bought a Kimber 84 in 308 about 10 years ago. Beautiful gun but it would not shoot. Bore scope found rust about 3 in below the muzzle. I returned it to Kimber in Yonkers, NY. They re=barreled it. Then back to them again after I found one action screw almost impossible to align. When it came back, I took it to the range, put 3 in the box magazine and 1 in chamber. With first shot, the box lid opened and 3 fell to the ground. They fixed it and I still have the rifle. Still have it, but lost confidence in it