Kimber 84 Hunter Rifles

Got a Kimber Light Hunter in 6.5 Creed three years ago. The major problem I had with the rifle was the weapon cannot be loaded as a single feed. That's because the extractor will not spring around the base of the round and the bolt will not close. All rounds MUST be fed from the magazine. That way the extractor will pick up the base of the round. This was another problem for me. Trying to load Hornady 143 ELD-X with the bullet seated .010' off the lands, the round was too long to fit the magazine. Hornady shoots like crap with a long jump so I have to use Berger 140's which will shoot 1/2 MOA but just try getting those bullets anymore. Frustrating. Looking to see if an M16 extractor can be fitted to the bolt so I can load rounds individually and not depend on rounds fed from the magazine.
Weird you bring this up, and it's not because what you are saying is wrong. In fact, what you ae saying is how controlled round feed is supposed to operate as I was told many years ago. The round is supposed to get caught up into the extractor as it comes off the magazine and hold in place on the bolt face as it's fed into the chamber. Then it is supposed to stay under the extractor until it's kicked out at its furthest rearward motion to prevent short stroking rounds off the magazine.

I never had much luck tuning the extractor on an M70 or CZ to make the round from the mag stick under the extractor during feeding. They do hold the fired case until extraction/ejection so you don't short stroke. I always knew the "controlled round feed" to act as a push feed until ejection.

I bought a Hunter in 6.5 Creed. It shot and functioned well so I ordered one in 280AI. Both of the rifles shot below 1" for 3 shots at 100 yds. My stepson has the Creed now. The only problem was magazine capacity on the Creed.

I own a Kimber Hunter in .257 Roberts. It functions well and is super light-weight. Initially shot some factory rounds I had on hand through it and it didn't like them. I found out it is very picky, but was able to handload both the 100 grain ttsx and the 100 grain Nosler Partition and both shoot about .75". This is great for a 300 yard rifle (the Roberts does have its limitation). The controlled round feed action is great and so is the trigger. After it was broken in I could single round feed.

Weird you bring this up, and it's not because what you are saying is wrong. In fact, what you ae saying is how controlled round feed is supposed to operate as I was told many years ago. The round is supposed to get caught up into the extractor as it comes off the magazine and hold in place on the bolt face as it's fed into the chamber. Then it is supposed to stay under the extractor until it's kicked out at its furthest rearward motion to prevent short stroking rounds off the magazine.

I never had much luck tuning the extractor on an M70 or CZ to make the round from the mag stick under the extractor during feeding. They do hold the fired case until extraction/ejection so you don't short stroke. I always knew the "controlled round feed" to act as a push feed until ejection.
BFD is right on about the controlled feed. Here's my gripe. When trying to load Hornady 143 ELD-X in the Light hunter 6.5 Cred, where i try to seat the bullet .005 or even .010 off the lands, the cartridge is too long to fit into the magazine. So I have to seat the bullet at 2.810 COAL which puts the bullet with a jump of .025 off the lands which my rifle just doesn't like. The rifle has a 2.835 COAL to put the bullet on the lands. Too bad my rifle won't group better with that much jump. Hornady Match ammo with the 147 ELD-M seats to 2.805 COAL. Works with my magazine but not that outstanding performance. Berger 140's seated to 2.810 fit the magazine and shoot 0.75 MOA. just can't get Berger bullets now. CRY.