Kimber 84 Hunter Rifles

i have a kimber 84L in 3006, and with a 2-7x leupold and 55 grs imr 4350 and a 165 nosler BT it will keep 6 shots on a half dollar, but the first three will be sub moa. i am going to have the barrel cut to 20 " as it is my hump the hills deer rifle.
I'd miss a couple meals before cutting down a 30-06 to 20"! 😄

i use a remington 7600 carbine(18"barrel) in 3006 with the same load and its shoots very well.

Attachments

• DSCN9450 (2).JPG
    DSCN9450 (2).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
  • DSCN1118.JPG
    DSCN1118.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
This video has me thinking 5/8 is the smallest I'll go.

I put 3/4" x 24 brakes on my larger caliber and diameter barrels if possible .338LMAI for ELR. Our target rifles have 1" and up for diameter at the muzzel, most are 1.25" barrels.
Hunting rifles are altogether smaller diameter so most can't even have a 5/8"x28. I do have several hunting rifles with threaded 5/8 x 28 and have exceptional "Bug hole" accuracy.
I personally would not go to 1/2"x28. Can't see having a Brake unless it is a LARGE caliber with a lot of KICK. When hunting you should only take one shot and who ever feels that recoil shot when sighting in on a big buck!

Last edited:
Got a Kimber Light Hunter in 6.5 Creed three years ago. The major problem I had with the rifle was the weapon cannot be loaded as a single feed. That's because the extractor will not spring around the base of the round and the bolt will not close. All rounds MUST be fed from the magazine. That way the extractor will pick up the base of the round. This was another problem for me. Trying to load Hornady 143 ELD-X with the bullet seated .010' off the lands, the round was too long to fit the magazine. Hornady shoots like crap with a long jump so I have to use Berger 140's which will shoot 1/2 MOA but just try getting those bullets anymore. Frustrating. Looking to see if an M16 extractor can be fitted to the bolt so I can load rounds individually and not depend on rounds fed from the magazine.

Got a Kimber Light Hunter in 6.5 Creed three years ago. The major problem I had with the rifle was the weapon cannot be loaded as a single feed. That's because the extractor will not spring around the base of the round and the bolt will not close. All rounds MUST be fed from the magazine. That way the extractor will pick up the base of the round. This was another problem for me. Trying to load Hornady 143 ELD-X with the bullet seated .010' off the lands, the round was too long to fit the magazine. Hornady shoots like crap with a long jump so I have to use Berger 140's which will shoot 1/2 MOA but just try getting those bullets anymore. Frustrating. Looking to see if an M16 extractor can be fitted to the bolt so I can load rounds individually and not depend on rounds fed from the magazine.
Something sounds off, because all my Kimbers would pick it up when single fed. I hated feeding from the ADL magazine when shooting from the bench, the extractor would jump over the base of the round every time.

edited to add, I've never owned the Hunter model, only the Classic and the Montana. So my comment is applicable to those two models. Sorry

Something sounds off, because all my Kimbers would pick it up when single fed. I hated feeding from the ADL magazine when shooting from the bench, the extractor would jump over the base of the round every time.

edited to add, I've never owned the Hunter model, only the Classic and the Montana. So my comment is applicable to those two models. Sorry
Same here!