Kimber 84L .270 Win Barrel Shortening?

pontoon

I have a Kimber Montana 84L in 270 Winchester that I got for hunting. So far it's pretty light, but some hunters will shorten their rifle from the stock specifications. I would definitely be interested in the practicality of having a lighter and slightly shorter rifle. I know 24 is the standard length and the FPS stats will be for 24 inches. I'm concerned that high performance ammo manufacturers may base the burn time or other things on 24 inches and will be less accurate if it is shot at 22-22.5. I understand there should be minimal loss of FPS if I were to shorten the barrel 1.5-2 inches (about 20 FPS?). I also understand the muzzle blast may be louder. That part concerns me as well. I read that this can be reduced by using a faster burning powder, but I'm not knowledgable at present to do hand loads or choose out a cartridge that has powder suitable for 22 inches.

So anyway, that's what I've read so far. I'm a bit of a newbie, but I'm wondering if any of you have experience with shorting a barrel. Did you regret it?

Here is some info on the stock barrel:

Length: 24 inches
Twist rate (right hand): 10
Grooves: 6

I read the twist rate has something to do with how it will shoot once shortened.

I'd leave it alone. You won't notice a difference in getting around in the brush by cutting off an inch or two but it will certainly have an effect on accuracy and velocity.

If the rifle shoots decently at all as is I'd definitely not go mucking it up.

I'd leave it alone. You won't notice a difference in getting around in the brush by cutting off an inch or two but it will certainly have an effect on accuracy and velocity.

If the rifle shoots decently at all as is I'd definitely not go mucking it up.

It shoots a tiny bit under 1 MOA in a benchrest. That's from the factory so with some mods it should shoot better. I read from one source that shortening the rifle might actually increase the accuracy. It will affect the velocity a little, so it might introduce a little bit of error into the ballistics calculations (e.g. I might guess 2930 and it's actually 2920) unless I were to use a chronograph.

One of the biggest reasons I want to shorten it is actually weight not length. It's a very light rifle at 5 lbs 10 ounces (probably less now that I switched the trigger guard to aluminum), and I want to make it lighter.

It shoots a tiny bit under 1 MOA in a benchrest. That's from the factory so with some mods it should shoot better. I read from one source that shortening the rifle might actually increase the accuracy. It will affect the velocity a little, so it might introduce a little bit of error into the ballistics calculations (e.g. I might guess 2930 and it's actually 2920) unless I were to use a chronograph.

One of the biggest reasons I want to shorten it is actually weight not length. It's a very light rifle at 5 lbs 10 ounces (probably less now that I switched the trigger guard to aluminum), and I want to make it lighter.
The chances it will improve accuracy are nil.

You would only lose about an ounce per inch so the benefit is negligible and the downside could be huge.

If it loses accuracy you are just screwed and will have to rebarrel.

I'm with wildrose, I would leave it alone. Cutting a few inches of barrel of will make such a tiny difference in weight you won't even feel it.
I've had three Montana's. They shot similar to yours, but with a little load development one became a half moa gun, the other 3/4.

If you are set on a lighter rifle get Kimber's Mountain Ascent, or go with HS Precision's ultralight or one of Forbes' rifles.

I'm with wildrose, I would leave it alone. Cutting a few inches of barrel of will make such a tiny difference in weight you won't even feel it.
I've had three Montana's. They shot similar to yours, but with a little load development one became a half moa gun, the other 3/4.

If you are set on a lighter rifle get Kimber's Mountain Ascent, or go with HS Precision's ultralight or one of Forbes' rifles.

Ok I'll leave it alone. I read a forum post about a number of potential mods to improve accuracy. Basically it said if it comes from the factory under 1 moa you can mod it to be a tack driver.

Does this seem good? Kimber Montana bedding - The Firing Line Forums

Ok I'll leave it alone. I read a forum post about a number of potential mods to improve accuracy. Basically it said if it comes from the factory under 1 moa you can mod it to be a tack driver.

They come bedded from the factory, at most I'd just make sure it's free floated back to the chamber.

If it's not some sand paper and a dowell should work for removing any offending material.

I have a Kimber Montana 84L in 270 Winchester that I got for hunting. So far it's pretty light, but some hunters will shorten their rifle from the stock specifications. I would definitely be interested in the practicality of having a lighter and slightly shorter rifle. I know 24 is the standard length and the FPS stats will be for 24 inches. I'm concerned that high performance ammo manufacturers may base the burn time or other things on 24 inches and will be less accurate if it is shot at 22-22.5. I understand there should be minimal loss of FPS if I were to shorten the barrel 1.5-2 inches (about 20 FPS?). I also understand the muzzle blast may be louder. That part concerns me as well. I read that this can be reduced by using a faster burning powder, but I'm not knowledgable at present to do hand loads or choose out a cartridge that has powder suitable for 22 inches.

So anyway, that's what I've read so far. I'm a bit of a newbie, but I'm wondering if any of you have experience with shorting a barrel. Did you regret it?

I have a .270 AI with a 30" Lilja barrel with the idea that if I didn't like it, I can always cut it shorter but not the other way around. I left it alone and that was 3 years ago.

Anyways, I agree with previous posters, leave it alone until you have to re-barrel.

As a newbie, take your time and enjoy the learning process. Cheers!

That was an interesting article. Things like the magazine and screws bottoming, and proper bedding I am aware of. In contrast to this article I was told by Forbes that he beds the NULA barrels the full length of the fore-end.

I've been lusting over the Mtn. Ascent, but every time I pick up my .270 WSM I get over it. Kimber rifles rate right up there with Cooper rifles for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.